Anybody else out there suddenly forgetful after their hysterectomy?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody else out there suddenly forgetful after their hysterectomy?? Anybody else out there suddenly forgetful after their hysterectomy??

Unread 04-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Anybody else out there suddenly forgetful after their hysterectomy??

Every since my surgery 5 weeks ago I have a serious issue with forgetfulness..... If I don't make A note in my phone or create A daily to do list I fforget everything so easily!! This is sooooooo unlike me! Is it happening to anyone else??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Re: Anybody else out there suddenly forgetful??

Yes! I have to write down when I take a pill or I will forget an hour later. Also having a hard time coming up with words. Took me like 3 mins to think of the word "tweezers" the other day.
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Anybody else out there suddenly forgetful after their hysterectomy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheers44 View Post
Yes! I have to write down when I take a pill or I will forget an hour later. Also having a hard time coming up with words. Took me like 3 mins to think of the word "tweezers" the other day.
Wow!! I forget the correct words to say as well!! This is crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2014, 10:00 PM

I just had this issue today. It is driving,me,nuts. Came on suddenly, and has lasted all day. I will forget what Im talking about mid sentence. I hope this gets better!
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:02 PM

I walk out of my office to talk to someone and forget what I want to say to them. That's only within a minute. Yikes!!
Unread 04-02-2014, 10:06 PM

I had that problem early post op. It did eventually resolve itself over a couple months. I think it had to do with getting rid of all the anesthesia and with getting my estrogen levels straightened out. I remember walking into the kitchen at least 4 or 5 times in a row to get something out of the fridge only to forget once the door was open and going back to the couch. It did provide a few funny moments for DH when I couldn't remember the word for almond, and my trying to describe it for him what an almond was. I also forgot my MIL's name (not so funny (insert smirk)).
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:12 PM

Oh my! It Is me as well! I'll be talking at work and all of a sudden stop mid sentence. If a couple of tries to get it back are not successful, I just raise my hands and say..."it's gone!"

I also struggle with words and have said the wrong word. That happens at least a couple of times a day. Very annoying!

I guess I'm not alone in this. I'm usually a bit scatter-brained as I multitask a lot so not so noticeable at work yet. I hope it gets better!
Unread 04-03-2014, 03:05 AM

I too find I am not as sharp as I used to be. There is new research which shows general anaesthesia can affect the brain and memory loss, with more risk in older people.

if you google there is info on it.
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:50 AM
Re: Anybody else out there suddenly forgetful after their hysterectomy??

So very glad to not be alone in this! The other day I'm talking to my son and trying to say a word, I can picture it but it took a long time to associate the right word.

Now, this is normal for me with actors/movie names, stuff like that, we say it's a game of (**** I forgot the name! The game where you describe something and the other person has to guess the word!)
Unread 04-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Re: Anybody else out there suddenly forgetful after their hysterectomy??

Absolutely! Glad to see that I'm not the only one experiencing this. This is reassuring to know that it will pass. Thanks for the suggestions of writing things down.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register