Jumping the gun? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Jumping the gun? Jumping the gun?

Unread 08-03-2006, 08:28 PM
Jumping the gun?

Hi, I'm new here. I will be scheduling my hysterectomy soon. I think I need encouragement to know that I'm not jumping the gun. I get alot of strange looks from people when I talk to about my condition like it's such a big step to take to fix a couple of problems. I have uterine fibroids and a hemmoraging cyst on my right ovary. My doctor definitely wants to remove the cyst and ovary, and suggested tying my tubes while he's in there, because DH and I are positive we do not want to have any more children. I do not want to live with the fibroids or have them removed just to have more grow back later. My thinking is that if my tubes are going to be tied anyway what is the point of keeping my uterus? I have a lot of support from family members on my decision. My mother and grandmother both have had hysterectomies due to fibroids. I don't feel like I'm rushing into anything as I have been living with monthly pain since I started having periods. I often get ovarian cysts and pain during ovulation.

And is it true that leaving one ovary will keep you from going into a menopausal state?

Thanks, and sorry this is long and rambling! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Jumping the gun?

Hi dsigner you don't say how old you are. Regardless, it is unimportant what other people think. They are not living in your skin and may not be well informed about your options. I can tell you that, personally, the TAH/BSO was the best decision I could have made. Nearly immediately after the surgery, I felt relieved and different. That said, I am 49 and feel I don't need any of the parts anymore. All they did was cause me trouble. Rather than risk having to go back in at a future date for the ovaries or cervix, I opted to have everything removed at once. No regrets. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 08-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Jumping the gun?

Hi dsigner,
I had a TVH on 7/25 for similar reasons - fibroids. My mother, grandmother, aunt and cousin all had hysterectomies for fibroids. I knew it was just a matter of time for me - till I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm not quite 2 weeks post op now and feel no worse than before my op - no pain, just discomfort. And I know it'll get better as time goes on. What a wonderful feeling to be counting the days toward recovery, not surgery!
Anyway, from what I hear as long as you keep at least one ovary, you won't start menopause.
Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Jumping the gun?

You need to do what is best for you. If you can live without the pain for years to come, then why not. I had a TVH because of fibroids. To me its a fresh start for the future. I kept my ovaries. I am 46 and my dr felt I have a few more years for them to keep working. We do not want anymore kids. Ours are both in their 20's and we have been enjoying just the 2 of us.
You will make the right decision for you. Good luck.
Unread 08-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Jumping the gun?

I'm 1000% glad I chose to have a hysto. My only regret is that I didn't try to get one earlier.
Unread 08-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Jumping the gun?

Had my hysto on 5 Jan, 2006. After, I felt a loss but now it's wonderful. It's nice when I go to the supermarket and can miss that aisle. It's also wonderful to be able to plan holidays without working around certain dates. I also have a choice if I leave the house or not (I was housebound on certain days due to heavy periods). I say GO GIRL!
Unread 08-04-2006, 04:18 AM
Jumping the gun?

I felt like I was jumping the gun for a second too. But the more I thought about it, I knew I was making the right decision. I took my age into consideration and of course my medical issues: complex ovarian cysts (constant monitoring with u/s!!) fibroid (small) on uterus. My doctor said we could leave the left ovary but said I had every good reason to remove it, if that is what I wanted. I don't want any more future surgeries, I'm 48 in october, and close to menopause anyway. I will not miss the painful periods I've had since I was 18!!!
Unread 08-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Thank you

Thank you all for your responses! I'm 36 by the way. I do feel better already about my decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register