How long does swelly belly last???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does swelly belly last???? How long does swelly belly last????

Unread 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM
How long does swelly belly last????

Quick question for you experienced hystersisters-

Will my huge deformed belly ever go down?

I am at week 3 and will return to work part time next week. I am wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy elastic waist pants for work!!!!!!!! Thank you!

Runningfox
TAH 5/5/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2008, 11:17 AM

I was told "months." It's been 5 weeks for me and I have to wear pants with an elastic waist. Honestly though, I had the same problem before my surgery as I had a huge fibroid. Pre surgery my abdomen was big and now it is slightly smaller but deformed.
Unread 05-28-2008, 11:23 AM

I had a TVH 4/14~~~my belly was huge and hard like until like yesterday. I put my big undies on and they were a bit big LOL maybe I have stretched them out. For a few weeks it was OK in the morning by evening it was very swelly and hard.

I am bigger than my pre surgery belly from no exercise and laying in bed eating bonbons and reading magazines~~~for reals I did this I had to pull our all my stretch waisted sweats and lay around the house pants to wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2008, 01:04 PM

I am 5 weeks post op and find that mine is worse in the evenings or if I have been very active. I am not very good at taking it easy, but I try not to over due too much. I am not sure how long it lasts but will be happy to get rid of it.
Unread 05-28-2008, 01:26 PM

I am 5 weeks post op today (TAH) and I also find that my belly tends to get swollen in the evenings if I've done too much. Especially if I go out and walk alot. I've heard that you are not fully recuperated until a year after surgery but I don't know if that includes the swelly belly. I've heard that the sensation never fully returns either. I'm assuming that the swelly belly takes a few months!
Unread 05-28-2008, 02:14 PM

I am 2 weeks post op today. I felt better after my surgery than I have for at least a year. I am doing alot, probably too much. I have gone out shopping with a friend, I found I was more sore than I had been after that. I actually went to some garage sales on the way home from the hospital. I have also been doing laundry (not picking up the basket), folding clothes. I really want to do something to get rid of the bloating and puffy stomache. I am mainly sore and bloated, but other than that I feel good!!
Any suggestions on the bloat/swelling?
Unread 05-28-2008, 04:36 PM

How funny Seattleredhead,

That's so funny about the garage sale stop! I actually have been doing alot myself. I was out shopping 4 days after my surgery and at the hospital visiting a relative 3 days later. So, I understand totally about doing too much! I've also done stuff around the house myself. I guess I've just been doing it becuase I've been feeling good.
Unread 05-28-2008, 04:47 PM

Hi Gia5
Yeah, I am feeling really good. We went camping (in our trailer) for Memorial Day weekend. It was nice and relaxing, but I did find that my husband is letting me do things I shouldn't. I found myself picking up a chair and moving it by the lake to fish. I think we need to slow down and let them do things for us, they are thinking we are well if we do the littlest of things. So when he gets home today he has dishes to unload and vacumming to do!!
Unread 05-28-2008, 04:59 PM

I'm 4 months post op and just starting to see a little relief in the swelly belly.Hang in there!

Wish
Unread 05-28-2008, 05:08 PM

OMG yes, that's true. We do things that we shouldn't be doing. We need to remind them from time to time that we are "recovering"! So, yes go ahead and have your hubby vacuum for you today!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register