Scheduled TAH Questions about having an epideral ! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about having an epideral ! Questions about having an epideral !

Unread 08-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Questions about having an epideral !

Hello,

Has anyone here ever had an epideral for their TAH ? I see my Gyn soon and I would like to ask him about it.If anyone can share any information, I would so appreciate it.

Pauline
Alberta, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Re: Questions about having an epideral !

(((Pauline)))

I was given the option of general anesthesia or an epidural when I had my TVH and I opted for general. There are members around here who had an epidural for their surgery and some that had both general and an epidural which helped with pain control afterwards.

Hopefully, someone will be along soon to share their story with you. I wish you the very best!

Deb
Unread 08-21-2009, 11:16 PM

I had an epidural and general for my TAH in June. My main problem with surgery has always been nausea, so he decided to do an epidural as well for pain control, so I wouldn't have to take meds that made me sick. I have had a few epidurals before, and do get a bit freaked out about the whole spine thing, and legs going numb, weird feeling. However, epidural did not work, only made one side of me numb, which was such an odd feeling, I told them to stop it post-op, I had a running infusion, and asked them to pull it out, I could not stand only one leg being numb, I thought something had gone wrong. If I had to do it over again, I would just have the general, but that is just me, because I don't like the feeling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2009, 03:49 AM

Hi wishing2009. I had an epidural for my SAH (kept cervix and ovaries) and it was great. I didn't want to be awake and hearing what was going on so they gave me something to put me to sleep intravenously. I didn't feel a thing during or after and had no side effects what so ever. The woman in the bed next to me also had an epidural and all was fine for her too. I was given the option of epidural or general and in the end chose the epidural because it leaves you less drousy for the first 2-3 days and you don't have the uncomfortable feeling in your mouth after the intubation they do for a general. I think the decision is a personal one - but for me the epidural was more than fine.
Unread 08-22-2009, 07:19 AM

I had both an epidural and general anaesthesia for my TAH/BSO last October. The epidural was given because I am allergic to many pain medications. It worked beautifully for the first day and a half, then worked out of my back a tad and had to be removed for fear of infection. It was wonderful to wake up alert, without pain or nausea. For the length of time I had it, I really appreciated it, and would do it again that way. Best wishes to you with your surgery and your choice for anaesthesia.

Barb A.
Unread 08-22-2009, 08:37 AM

I had both the epidural and general. I'm pretty needle phobic but it didn't bother me at all. I did not have the kind that remains and continues to infuse. When I woke up in recovery, I was in pain. I was given something thru my IV and it did get the pain under control quickly. My dr. said I must've had some breakthrough pain. From then on, I was fine with no pain meds at all until the next morning. My lower half woke up in the wee hours of the next morning. The downside for me was that it made my face really itchy but it was still worth it and I'd do it again.
Unread 08-22-2009, 08:41 AM

I had an epidural and general anesthesia for my TAH/BSO & bowel resection on July 27. I would definately have the epidural again. It was great coming out of the general anesthetic and being completely aware of what was going on around me, not being all doped up. My husband came to see me right after I came to and was surprised at how alert I was. It didn't work quite as well on my left side, but the pain was manageable and I didn't need any painkillers until the epidural came out 5 days later. I did have a reaction to something in the epidural that made me extremely itchy so they had to change the type I was being given, which wasn't as effective, but stopped the itching, and I still didn't need any drugs for pain.
Unread 08-22-2009, 06:12 PM

Thank you everyone for answering my question about epidurals. But I am abit confused now. I thought an epidural was only given during the operation so you do not have to have as much anestetic. Some ladies are saying that they had the edidural in for 5 days. Please can someone explain to me what that means. I assumed that you woke up after your surgery and then the epidural wore off and you felt your limbs again.All in one day not 5. Help...explain
Unread 08-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Some epidurals are given such that the catheter remains in the epidural space and stays there for days. Mine was supposed to be there for three days but had to be taken out when it worked its way out a bit and the sterile field was compromised. The Drs. didn't want to risk infection. Other epidural anaesthesia is given for the short term, (like what is given for childbirth). You might want to discuss the differences with your Dr. if you are considering wanting epidural.
Unread 08-22-2009, 06:27 PM

An epidural can be used for post surgery pain management as well. It would depend on you, your doctor, and anesthesiologist as to exactly what type of epidural you would have and for how long.

Have you started a list of questions about an epidural that you can take with you to your doctor's appointment?

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register