Emotions Out Of Control | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Emotions Out Of Control Emotions Out Of Control

Unread 02-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Emotions Out Of Control

Hi sisters. My surgery is still 7 weeks away and I feel like I'm going crazy! It's all I think about lately....I go from feeling very positive to feeling like I am amking a huge mistake......I find myself crying alot more...worrying alot more, thinking about death....all the things I want to get accomplished before my surgery, worrying about no being any good to my 4 kids and my husband...wondering if he'll see me differently post-op.....the thought of being that vulnerable and needing everyones help after really bothers me. I am so independent, not being able to be for awhile kills me. I hate asking for help....I feel weak when I do...I don't like feeling weak!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Re: Emotions Out Of Control

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way, Lizzy. If it helps any you are going through EXACTLY the same emotions that I went through. I had all the same fears that you have. It could be me writing your post. I can only talk from my own experience and I know 7 weeks seems forever.. I also had my appointment 7 weeks in advance.. I just wanted it done the next day so that I didn't have to spend 7 weeks worrying about it.
This site is brilliant and I'm sure the 'girls' will all help you get through the next seven weeks.
Unread 02-13-2010, 11:13 AM

Hi - I am fairly new. My appointment is 4/5/10, so it's also 7 weeks away. I don't have any suggestions because I could have also written your post myself. I hate feeling so dependent on others. I have five children at home - ranging from 17 to 3.5, mix of boys and girls. While my brain knows they are all good and capable, the emotional part of me worries on end how they will handle things.

My emotions are all over the map as well. Even though I have had surgery, this one is bothering me. I think it's the fact all of this is so closely tied to our identity as a woman. But, although my brain may understand - my emotions are still working their way through the whole process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2010, 11:16 AM

I know how you are feeling and it is a really hard time. I had 3 months to prepare for surgery (by choice) and it was good and bad. I worried to death about everything from death to complications to my family, work, etc. I was so scared about the pain also.

One of the things that helped me was to do a lot of writing. I wrote letters to all the people I was close to just telling them how I felt about them. It started as an "If I die..." thing but didn't end up that way. It just made me feel good to tell people how I loved them.

I also put a lot of energy into exercising because I am overweight and I wanted to be as strong as I could for surgery.

I also prayed a lot which was a great comfort to me.

Looking back, I'm glad I had that time to think about things although it was really tough. The time helped me to kind of prioritize my life a little and realize what was most important to me. The little things just didn't seem as big when facing major surgery.

I hope you find some peace during this time and I'm glad you found HS. I didn't join until right before surgery and I missed out on a lot of pre-op support I might have had.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 02-13-2010, 11:19 AM

I think it's natural for women to feel the way we do about having a hysterectomy.
Unread 02-13-2010, 12:24 PM

Thank you sisters for all ur support. It's nice to know I am not alone in my feelings....my kids are 13, 11, 10 and soon to be 5. I have had 3 laproscpic surgeries, removal of left ovary and tube and 4 c-sections and this surgery by far is freaking me out the most.....peppermintpeggy, I like you, have started an exercise routine and started eating better and it helps somewhat...I have lost 12lbs and 12 inches in a month so I am pretty proud of that......and I am going to star writing letters as suggested....I used to write alot before I had the kids and life became so busy, I think its time to start again...I am having a hard time with the idea of this surgery partly because in my mind they r removing things that i associate with being a woman.....
Unread 02-13-2010, 01:46 PM

my surg. is on the 23rd and i feel the exact same way. all this week, i worked on the upstairs of the house and just cannot bring myself to clean the downstairs due to the emotional changes of my brain today. i am sure that this is all normal, and we are all in this together and i am so glad that i have my new sisters to thank for this website, best of luck to you....
Unread 02-13-2010, 06:44 PM

Hello,, My hysterectomy is scheduled for March 2, It is all I can seem to think about also, It is consuming my mind. it will be abdominal, but uterus only. I have had 3 laparoscopy-hysteroscopy, 8 d & c, and have uterine fibroids. I have not been aboe to have children. I know this is it,, no turning back. I really have to have this done. My last round i almost bled to death and had to have a blood transfusion and the 8th D & C. I know in my mind that I am gonna be so much happier and better off, but my fears of the latter seem to take over. I feel for you because I know what you are feeling cause I am feeling it right now too. Best of luck.
Unread 02-13-2010, 08:57 PM

Hey, my hysterectomy isn't even scheduled yet...just found out 2 days ago I needed it. I am scared, anxious, upset, and like others want it done tomorrow! The waiting on my previous laproscopy surgery was the worst part..they got in there and was much worse than they thought so put me back together and said I needed a total hysterectomy and I am going nuts...is so nice to have others to talk to to get thru this..I know we can do it.. I know I need support, i have my family and husband and friends...but I need those who are going through what I am... thanks
Unread 02-13-2010, 10:52 PM

Hi, Fellow Hyster Sisters!!!
Lizzy, I definitely understand the emotions. I've had since December to wait for my TAH-BSO, and mine is scheduled for Feb.24th. My choice. My wedding anniversary is on Feb. 22nd, and I didn't want to be in the middle of recovery for it. But my emotions are of happiness (getting rid of the pain of so many years) and grief (getting rid of the possibility of ever having more children). I know I will not have any more kids (endometriosis), my hubby is fixed, and I've miscarried 4 pregnancies, and have one living child, but it is the finality of it. I have also been on Lupron for 6 months, so I'm already going through menopausal symptoms, and let me tell you.....hot flashes from hell, night sweats, and mood swings!! They are not always bad....lol! When you have 8-12 inches of snow on the ground, I have instant cooling relief!!
Just know you are not alone, and let us know how you are doing. I know I'll be on here alot once my surgery is over. Taking my Laptop to the hospital, in fact. Have faith and God Bless!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register