new to all this and just a little :confued: | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new to all this and just a little :confued: new to all this and just a little :confued:

Unread 01-28-2002, 08:26 PM
new to all this and just a little :confued:

Hi: boy did thing move to slow one day and much to fast another day.

Just a little back ground. I had my first bad pap in Apirl of last year and then a cone biopsy in Sept. Then we played the wait and see game. Well went back for new pap Dec. 27 by Jan 4 i had a appointment with a geynacolgest/oncologest ???(can't spell hope someone can figure out what i mean). That date was this past Thursday and now I'm going to have surgery on the 4th of Feb. I haveing a TAH.

Part of me wants it to just be over the other part says hey slow down and let me think about what you are going to do.

Any advise as how to come to grips with this in less than a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2002, 08:36 PM

welcome, peggy. so far, i have found this site to be incredible and full of help and info!! i would recommend the book 'through the land of hyster...the hyster sisters guide'. it's amazing!!

my upcoming surgery was a shock to me as well...it all came on rather quickly. i am up for it, though...it's the best alternative for me.

(((((hugs))))) and sorry i can't help more...i'm new to this as well!
Unread 01-28-2002, 08:48 PM
Hi

I can understand the feelings of being overwhelmed. I hade/have 2 weeks from the time I found out to the date it's scheduled. I KNOW this is what I want.......I am also 3 weeks away form being 37, have 2 kids and sent hubby for the big V so more kids isn't an issue with me. The only thing that I can offer you is to read every post on here, follow all the links, and talk to your doctor about everything. If he is moving to fast for you tell him that. Unless there is a medical emergency a little longer until you can take it all in is perfectly OK and normal. It took a friend of mine a year to finally agree to have the surgery. It's a very personal and emotional decission that only you can make. These ladies/sisters here are the best. If you have any questions they line up to answer them and very fast about doing it. If you want to cry, vent or laugh they/we do that too. Just pls talk to your doctor or another for a second opinion if you feel something isn't right.
Big huge hug !
K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2002, 10:07 PM

I, too, had the decision foisted upon me rather quickley....after over a year of being told nothing was wrong, I had a biopsy that reveiled hyperplasia....pre-cancer. Now I am haveing TAH on Feb 5 with a doc I have never met. (Mine quit on Friday). This site is a great place to be.....chat is a real helpful place, real time answers and some fun too!

I was shocked at how much the people here care and offer support...take advantage. It will make you feel good and then you will find yourself helping others. IT IS CONTAGEOUS!
Unread 01-29-2002, 03:55 AM

If you're not sure the first thing you need to do is talk to your dr and find out why the rush. A gyn-oncologist is kind of serious. Call the office and tell them what you told us. It is entirely possible that when you were told about the hyst you kind of "lost" anything else they told you.

Also try some of these links
Ladies in Waiting
Pre-Op Hysterectomy Page

Princesses Tell Their Stories
Princess Stories Articles

Punctured Princesses
Post-Op Hysterectomy Page

The chat room is another great place to go.
Chatroom Calendar

Hope this helps, and let us know what you find out.
Unread 01-29-2002, 08:54 AM

Hi Peggy,
It doesn't sound like you are getting very much info from your doctor, or maybe you are but just haven't gone into here perhaps.
Have they said why they are doing the hyster now, or what they expect to find when they get in there?

I as well had my surgery within 2 weeks of going to the doctor and I was very well informed as to what they suspected, and what they planned. I had a lot of bloodwork an ultrasound, and a CT scan all done within the first 4 days. My test results were reviewed by a gyn/oncologist, and then surgery was scheduled for 10 days later. My oncologist attended the surgery as well.

Of course if you are dealing with cancer, you want it out as soon as possible I am sure. The one good thing about not having a long wait Peggy is that there is not a lot of time to have to wait and worry about it thats for sure which really is a blessing.

I wish you the best, and please feel free to visit us on the Cancer Concerns forum as well! We are a small group, but run the gammut on gyn pre-cancer and cancer diagnoses, and are a great support for each other. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers Peggy!!!

Wishing you the very best!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 01-29-2002, 09:35 AM
(((Peggy)))

I am 7 weeks postop and I can tell you that a year ago, I would have never ever thought that a hysterectomy was waiting around the corner for me! I have always had clear paps, no problems to speak of and relatively normal pregnancies. Almost a year ago, the excess bleeding with painful periods came knocking on my door. I am not one to be drug down by my body! I had a laparoscopy in September of last year to see what was going on and never thought that he would find anything. I figured I was in perimenopause and he might find some endometriosis. Well I was surprised when he told me that I had adenomyosis ( a form of endometriosis in the wall of my uterus with fibroids). I was flabergasted. Three weeks later he gave me the option of going ahead with a hysterectomy or changing my BCP to possibly make an improvement. I chose the later and it didn't work. Luckily I did have more time to decide than you have had. I don't think that any of us ever think that we are in for major surgeries or problems. It's been a rude awakening for me but as time goes on I am feeling better and better. Much better than a year ago at this time!

I will keep you in my prayers. Keep on reading the message boards and join us in the chat room. There is someone here most of the time in the mornings or evenings. We are all in this together in one way or another! Hang in there and good luck next week!

Blessings,
Janie
Unread 01-29-2002, 10:15 AM

Hi, Mepeggy,

So little time, so much information! You've come to the right place for compassionate, open-minded information-sharing.

On the Hystersisters main page, there are pull-down menus, which offer lots of information. In addition to the pre-op and post-op message boards, there are also a cancer concerns board, a board for ladies who are considering a hyst, and the aching hearts board, for ladies who are dealing with the powerful emotional concerns which often surround a hyst, as well as other great message boards. With all this information, you may want to set aside a few hours to surf the site.

I hope all of this information will be helpful to you. And when you just need to vent or scream, we're here for you, all of the time.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Please feel free to ask as many questions, and to share your feelings, because we're your hystersisters, and what are sisters for, anyway.

Best wishes,
princessh

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register