7 days past my total hysterectomy (LAVH) - brown discharge | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7 days past my total hysterectomy (LAVH) - brown discharge 7 days past my total hysterectomy (LAVH) - brown discharge

Unread 03-02-2015, 07:43 AM
7 days past my total hysterectomy (LAVH) - brown discharge

hi my name is Tina and I had my total LAVH on 23rd feb 2015, and well apart from trapped wind and very swollen belly and 4 cuts stitched I had no bleeding and felt just really tired. So have just rested and walked around the house to get the exercise but haven't felt well enough o go any further as tummy has now gone down quite a bit but belly now really tender today and have for the first time brown discharge .
I suppose what I'm asking is , is this coming form the vaginal cuff and is it coz I'm now healing there coz I haven't really done anything to cause the discharge although very tempted I have resisted.

If anyone could help I would be really grateful as I have no info for after op from hospital let alone a 6 or 8 week check up which I find really weird surely this should be checked out at one of the weeks just stated , help !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Re: 7 days past my total hysterectomy (LAVH) - brown discharge

My dr told me that vaginal discharge is normal. I started noticing a little pink yesterday when i wiped but nothing on my panties. As long as it's not bright red or a foul odor or filling a pad an hour you should be ok. If it eases your mind call your dr. They are there to answer any concerns you have.
Unread 03-02-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by his_butterfly View Post
My dr told me that vaginal discharge is normal. I started noticing a little pink yesterday when i wiped but nothing on my panties. As long as it's not bright red or a foul odor or filling a pad an hour you should be ok. If it eases your mind call your dr. They are there to answer any concerns you have.
Aww thank you hun, I'm thinking of calling hospital tomorrow and getting them to send me the post lavh recovery booklet coz I didn't get anything and I have no check up appt either they said I don't need one surely that's not right xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-02-2015, 10:21 AM

They didnt give you a post op check up app???
Unread 03-02-2015, 10:35 AM

Here is a list of the instructions hospital gave me.
Activity:
1) avoid sitting for long periods
2) no heavy lifting, vacuuming, pushing a full grocery cart, dancing, long drives until follow-up office visit.
3) slow to moderate exercise & activity.
4) no sex for 6 weeks (ask dr on return office visit)

Diet: Includes a well balanced diet. Drink plenty of liquids.

Take pain meds as prescribed. For unrelieved pain or sudden increase in severity of pain unrelieved by medication, contact your dr or come to the er.

Instructions:
1) no douches for 6 weeks. You may shower. No tub baths for 4 weeks or as otherwise instructed by your dr.
2) Report signs of infection, severe abdominal pain, temp over 100 degrees, foul odor or vaginal discharge.
3) There may be vaginal discharge for 4-6 weeks. Report excessive amount (heavier than your normal menstrual period) to your dr.

There are a few more but mostly bout constipation & the support stockings but you are probably past that stuff.

Hope this helps, i know it's kinda long
Unread 03-02-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by his_butterfly View Post
Here is a list of the instructions hospital gave me.
Activity
1) avoid sitting for long periods
2) no heavy lifting, vacuuming, pushing a full grocery cart, dancing, long drives until follow-up office visit.
3) slow to moderate exercise & activity.
4) no sex for 6 weeks (ask dr on return office visit)

Diet: Includes a well balanced diet. Drink plenty of liquids.

Take pain meds as prescribed. For unrelieved pain or sudden increase in severity of pain unrelieved by medication, contact your dr or come to the er.

Instructions:
1) no douches for 6 weeks. You may shower. No tub baths for 4 weeks or as otherwise instructed by your dr.
2) Report signs of infection, severe abdominal pain, temp over 100 degrees, foul odor or vaginal discharge.
3) There may be vaginal discharge for 4-6 weeks. Report excessive amount (heavier than your normal menstrual period) to your dr.

There are a few more but mostly bout constipation & the support stockings but you are probably past that stuff.

Hope this helps, i know it's kinda long
Thank you so much hun I'm gonna have to call the hospital and find our why I don't have a check up appt coz I don't think it's right, how am I supposed to know I'd it's ok to return to sex let alone I'm ok xx
Unread 03-02-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina66 View Post
Thank you so much hun I'm gonna have to call the hospital and find our why I don't have a check up appt coz I don't think it's right, how am I supposed to know I'd it's ok to return to sex let alone I'm ok xx
Youre welcome. Yes i would def call & find out about a follow up app. Mine is for 2 weeks & then another one at 6 weeks. It's crazy that they didnt give you one & told you that you didnt need one. Dr has to check you to make sure you are healing inside.
Unread 03-02-2015, 11:53 AM

Hi I was told to make a appointment at two weeks and glad I did.I also had a heavy brown discharge. Turned out I had a gBladder infection and yeast infection I have been on antibiotics for 4 days now and doing very good. Hope everything goes well
Unread 03-03-2015, 05:14 AM

Aww Hun well I hope all goes ell for you, I'm still waiting for the hospital to call me back about my appointments coz everyone on here so far gets on at 2 weeks past op and 6 weeks past op but so far I have nothing and my two weeks are up next Monday xxx
Unread 03-03-2015, 07:36 AM

Good morning! This is such a great website and great information that you ladies are sharing. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on Feb 18th and am on the road to recovery. I was given a six week post op appointment with my doctor and given post op information but have been frequenting this site often with any concerns.
Things have been going fairly well. I think my biggest complaint is gas oh man killer! So I have been drinking either mint or ginger tea and had to buy Gas x on the weekend. If anyone has other suggestions please share. I believe the lower abdominal soreness and pressure around the incision is normal. But I too was going to send out a question regarding the brown discharge that I have been getting noticeably when I think I have been puttering around the house too much and it has been the last week or so, on and off. It has not been filling up a pad no red so I think maybe this is part of healing.
But for the person who ended up with the bladder and yeast infection, did you have any glaring symptoms that you can share incase I am being too care free?? Thanks in advance!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register