Any 5 weekers not on HRT and how are you doing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any 5 weekers not on HRT and how are you doing? Any 5 weekers not on HRT and how are you doing?

Unread 07-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Any 5 weekers not on HRT and how are you doing?

Hello ladies I had a TAH on 6-27 and am not on any HRT as of yet!I have been having a few hot flashes up until about a week ago and just a couple of small crying spells nothing real bad! The last few days the hot flashes have gotten worse and at night they are MISERABLE I wake up constantly burning up and sweating one minute then cold next so covers on covers off!The air is on, I am sleeping under a ceiling fan, plus have a fan blowing on me, and I still can't stand it!Iam thinking about having the saliva test to check my hormone status before just starting on something!Anyonelse had this done?It just seems to me that I should know what my body needs rather than just trying this or that! I am thinking I want to use the Bio identical therapy! Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks alot!! Debbie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2005, 02:02 PM

I sympathize. I really do. I was half way through menapause when I would up with having a TAH. Ever since, it seems the hot flashes got worse and worse. Someone recommend Soy so I've been taking 1 soy tablet and a flax seed tablet. They seem to be helping as I don't "flash" as often. Plus I've cut way down on the caffeine - 1 cup coffee in the morning, NO chocolate - it actually drives me "CRAZY". I've switched over to tea, which doesn't have nearly the caffeine that coffee does.

You might check out the Hormone Jungle tab up above.
Unread 07-26-2005, 03:07 PM

I will be 6 weeks post-op on Thursday. I am not on HRT yet, but I have been taking progesterone for night sweats since my second week. The night sweats were also horrible for me. I woke up so much at night burning up, then freezing. It was miserable. The progesterone has worked great for me. I'm not allowed to take any type of estrogen for 6 months due to endo. If you are not on HRT due to endo you might want to ask your dr. about the progesterone. It is often used to treat endo, so you wouldn't have the risk of the endo coming back with it.

Overall, I feel great. It hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be without the hormones.......once I got something for the night sweats.

I have noticed that my sex drive isn't what it used to be, but it's not too bad. Hopefully that will get back to normal once I'm on HRT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2005, 03:25 PM

Hi Debbie! I can save you a trip to the Hormone Jungle by replying to you here.

Is there a reason your doctor didn't start you on hormone therapy right away? Some doctors do, others wait until there are symptoms. It sounds like you definitely are experiencing some unpleasant symptoms!

At this point in your recovery my opinion is that hormone testing isn't necessary. Hormone levels fluctuate and needs change. If you are interested in bio-identical hormones, estrogen is a good one to start with unless, for example, you had endometriosis. In that case, your doctor might want you off any estrogen (including phytoestrogens from over the counter products) for a period of time. If you doctor says estrogen only to start is okay, you can later add in progesterone and/or testosterone if needed. It is definitely a good idea to have your free and total levels of testosterone checked before adding that hormone. Too much testosterone isn't any better than not enough and side effects aren't always reversible.

If you would like to learn more about options in bio-identical estrogens, read articles #10 and #11 from this link to the Hormone Article List. Personally I like the transdermal method and am using Vivelle Dot 0.1 mg. It's a patch which is changed twice a week and it delivers estradiol (one of the estrogens produced by the ovaries) around the clock. A good starting dose for it is 0.05 mg. You should give it a couple of weeks at least to see if it's the right dose and then with your doctor's help adjust accordingly based on symptoms. Hormone therapy is largely a trial and error process with or without hormone testing. You'll know when it's right because you will have symptom control and feel much better. I much prefer using my symptoms as a guide.

Let your doctor know about your symptoms and then discuss what you would like to use. Good luck to you!

s
Unread 07-27-2005, 05:30 AM

Greeta56
I am going through the same exact thing.. I cant get enough sleep to function good during the day, I want to take a nap about mid- afternoon but DONT thinking I will just sleep through the night from pure exaution, I even have been taking 2 1-mile walks a day, it hasnt happened yet and its been 2 1/2 weeks like this.
I am suppose to go back to work on the 8th and cant see myself making through the entire day, some days at work even on a full nights sleep are exausting let alone going back on 4 hours of sleep a night... I am going to be asking for an extention at my 6 wk appt on the 3rd and also something to help with the HF,I tried the patch when I got home but I had to stop it , it gave me a severe headache...
Unread 07-27-2005, 12:41 PM

Thanks so much for the thoughts and advice ladies it is greatly appreciated!I went yesterday abd talked with my internist she is an awsome lady! I discussed at length with her the bio identical hrt she specializes in this And I didn't even know it! She was sooo helpful and understanding and answered a ton of questions I had! She is having me do a saliva test to see at 6weeks exactly what i am needing as for as the hrt!She says they have learned alot in the last three years and things are changing for the good for women!I personally love the idea of finding out what my body needs rather than just assuming and then my pharmacist will compound for me what it is that I need! I asked why a saliva test instead of blood tests and she says that the saliva test is more accurate than the blood test which i guess makes since since thats one of the ways they collect samples for dna testing!Anyway i am so glad i decided to call her I learned alot my Gyne didn't tell me!And for me there is just something about talking to a female verses a male for me personally!Somehow I fell she understands better about what is happening!She is having me do it at 6 weeks because she says they have found that at 4-6 weeks is when things peek as far as the lack of the hormones!My dr.(gyne)never gives hrt before 2 weeks he told me in answer to the quetion!I told him at my 3 week check up the hf were getting worse and he said to take an otc product calles estrovent which has so far not helped!Again I am glad i taked to this doctor!Thanks alot ladies !! Deb!
Unread 07-27-2005, 01:26 PM

Greeta,
I had my TAH/BSO the day after you did. I also only just started having hot flashes and night sweats. Mine would not be noticable if they didn't come with a headache and nausea everytime. Because I had pinpoint endo (as well as fibroids and cysts), my doctor wants me to go without HRT for three months. But he has told me that he would give me progesterone for the hot flashes if I need it. I am currently reading the book Sudden Menopause. It explains what each of the HRT do and some good examples of alternatives.
My problem is that I now have terrible insomnia. I was a person who could sleep for 12 hours straight and then take a nap. Now, if I can get a combined 3 hours during the night, I am lucky. If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.
Unread 07-27-2005, 01:40 PM

I'm 4 weeks post op today (TAH BSO due to stage 3 endo & enlarged uterus) and I woke up from surgery with a patch on and haven't experienced any hot flashes or sweats of any kind. My only complaint is not being able to sleep at night. I feel great other than that and I hope everyone finds what they need.
Unread 07-27-2005, 01:44 PM

(((Tina))), progesterone is very helpful to some women who are experiencing insomnia. You might consider trying it since it was offered by your doctor. Also, it can help inhibit the growth of any endometriosis.

I hope you can get some good sleep soon!

Unread 07-27-2005, 03:39 PM

I'm not on HRT (yet) because of endo. I've had manageable hot/cold flashes, but in the last week my mood swings have gotten out of control. At my 4 week check-up, my dr prescribed Aygustin for my hot/cold flashes, but I didn't fill it because they were okay. I called today and they said it would help with my mood swings, too, so I'm getting that thing filled tomorrow! I can't stand myself, so I know my family has had enough.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register