Incision size and staple count | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incision size and staple count Incision size and staple count

Unread 12-16-2005, 02:56 AM
Incision size and staple count

I had my TAH (supra-cervical) surgery on 12/9. I was curious, how many inches long would you say your incision is and how many staples did you have.

My incision, I think is close to 10 inches, at least 9 inches. Any my DH counted 18 staples.

Ouch.

How about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2005, 03:24 AM

My incision was around 6 inches long. I didn't have staples and the stitches were beneath the skin (not visible), so I can't tell you how many there were. All I could see was a knot on either end!
Unread 12-16-2005, 03:37 AM

I had same surgery date. My incision is 10 inches, & had 15 staples-ouch! They removed mine already . I thought this is kinda early but I'm no . Hope your recovery is going well.

's
Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2005, 07:21 AM

My incision (for a SAH-BSO) is 6 inches, and there are no staples or external stitches.

I had 3 previous C-sections, and they all used the same incision line. This doctor started fresh, making this incision about an inch above the old ones. The C-section incision scars are also much longer; there are some adhesions there, as even after 22 years, it still hurts on the left side when I sneeze or cough hard. (One baby was very large, and he said he had to cut more, including muscles, than is normal.)

I react very strongly to many adhesives, and by using some type of surgical glue (which I didn't react to), I know this incision has healed much faster, and didn't need the heavy duty dressing I've had previously.

My arm, where the IV was, still has welts from the adhesive tape (not to mention a couple of large bruises from failed attempts to place the IV). One piece of tape got my skin when they put Ace bandages on my legs for the surgery - that one is a full scab, and is deeper. From prior experience, that will take close to a month to heal.

This incision is still a little tender, but has already started to fade and the redness has almost disappeared.
Unread 12-16-2005, 07:27 AM

My incision is about 18 inches and I had more than 30 staples! OUCH!!

I had a c-tuck procedure done at the same time, the doctor was able to remove alot of excess skin that was just hanging over like an envelope. (TMI! sorry, but it was pretty gross!) which is why I believe the incision is so large thus the need for all of those staples.
Unread 12-16-2005, 07:35 AM

My surgery was a SAH and on 12/2. My incision is about 7 inches long and I had 17 staples that were removed on 12/13. It seems like thse numbers are all over the board. Every doc seems to do things a little different.
Unread 12-16-2005, 09:22 AM

It's interesting to see how different it is for everyone.

I get my staples out on Tuesday afternoon. I look forward to that.
Unread 12-16-2005, 10:00 AM

My TAH was on Nov. 18. 4" long with 17 staples. I had a football and a baseball sized cyst on an ovary~~can't imagine how my Dr worked the "sporting goods store" out of a hole that size~she's amazing.
Unread 12-16-2005, 10:43 AM

my dh just mesured mine and its 6 1/2 inches long and i had 16 staples
i also had a c-section 14 years ago and he went right over top of that scar but i think its a bit longer than the c section i had no staples with the section but this time i had the staples
Unread 12-16-2005, 11:19 AM

5 1/2 inches vertical, 15 staples

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register