Going to the store,what all will I need? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going to the store,what all will I need? Going to the store,what all will I need?

Unread 08-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Going to the store,what all will I need?

Hello everyone I am going to the store to get my final groceries for the next couple weeks and also going to buy all of my prep "cleansing" items for the night before. What else should I get for when I am done and home? I have bought stool softners and Gas-X. What does everyone else suggest that I get for after my surgery
Should I take the stool sofner and gas-x in the hospital or wait until I am home?
I call Thursday night surgery scheduled @ 11:30 on Friday but will get excate time when I call so I would appreciate any suggestions on what I will need.
Thanks

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2007, 07:40 PM

The only thing I'd recommend is thank you cards to send to people for flowers, visits, etc. I didn't use much of what I packed for the hospital, except general hygeine supplies and underwear.
Make sure you have healthy snacks on hand for post op. I haven't eaten so much fruit in my life!
Sounds like you are ready to go! Good luck!
Unread 08-04-2007, 08:10 PM

I wasn't all that sleepy during my hospital stay. You may find it helpful to have a book or puzzle book to work in. (I did lots of Soduko; not bad for being drugged. LOL)

I liked having my own nightgown when I was able to change and a robe for when I still had on my hospital gown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2007, 09:22 PM

Hi Cindy,

Things to have at home after surgery:

I had some nasea after surgery, so ginger ale, crackers, and chidken noodle soup was good to have, getting the stomach used to having food again, but not make you want to throw up.

Also, depending on who's cooking for you, maybe some easy things to heat up for meals.

Lots of fiber is needed to get your bowels back to normal. Apples, All Bran, etc. And you need to be drinking lots of water, so if you like bottled water....

Depending on your surgery: I had a TVH, so I needed pantiliners and used them for 2 - 3 weeks. Some ladies have more need, some have less.

Best of wishes!
Unread 08-07-2007, 07:28 AM

Cindy, Here's my suggestions for Shopping List

*Milk of Magnesia (this worked well without adding more gas)
*Gas X (you've got that)
*Ginger Ale and Tea Bags - This was a remedy I found on this site....(Awesome) Heat the Ginger ale in micro with a tea bag...It tasted great and really broke up the gas...I sipped this a few times the first few days and I loved it.
*Comfy squishy pillow - My dad found a "Koosh" type pillow that was very helpful for putting on my tummy - I had it with me in my bag for the hospital and It was the first thing I asked for when I woke up...Kept it on my belly at all times for the first week. (It was kind of flat and heart shaped so it molded to my body and the support was wonderful) Please have a pillow with you!

*Chicken Broth - Saltine Crackers - this was my savior the first few days. People were kind enough to make some meals for my family and everyone was thinking "oh, Eileen loves salad so I'll make that for her"...I couldn't eat anything like that for a few days ...too much roughage with the gas issue was not going to work. So be ready to say thank you for the food...but maybe not be ready to eat it yourself. P.S. My Dr told me to eat lightly for a few days and I was glad I listened to him.

*Sanitary Pads - The hospital only has the kind that don't have adhesive (the old fashioned kind) I used small pads for the trip home and for a few days after (but I had a LSH and didn't really bleed just little spotting)

*Oh the Ride home - Have that pillow! It helped with the bumps!

Every morning I had Fiber Cereal with fruit.
Lunch was broth and crackers / then maybe a turkey sandwich
Fruit during the day
dinner Grilled chicken or more broth with noodles
*Another Tip - seems silly but,,,, Have your loved ones put a small pitcher of milk in the fridge. My mom did this for me and kept everyone in the family on filling the pitcher duty...this way when I needed milk for my coffee or even just to drink I didn't have to lift the Gallon! (which is tooo heavy for a princess being pampered!)

I wish you much luck and will pray for you! Hope all goes well.
God Bless and keep in touch!

Livestronggal (Eileen) 4 weeks ago today and feeling great! Have to remind myself not to overdo it...since I feel so darn good!
Did I mention....Get a Pillow??? ! LOL
Unread 08-07-2007, 08:05 AM

Thanks everybody for all of the advice going shopping tonight with my list in hand.
Mine is scheduled for a TVH so thanks for the advice on the pads, I will be sure to take some and it will be nice knowing that after this I will not need them again. Still need to get my IPod all set up with some more music. I did tell them when they called for pre-registration that I wanted a private room so hopefully they aren't full and I get one! Hopefully I will be out the next morning or early afternoon. It is starting to hit me that it is going to be happening in 4 days!
Thanks again

Cindy
Unread 08-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Hang In There Cindy

I remember that feeling aahhh! Try to think Good Thoughts and Know that you'll be well cared for!
...We'll be here when you sign on again! Waiting to cheer you on and hear all about it!

I'm so glad I did this....no more horrible cramps and no more floods of blood every month!
Unread 08-07-2007, 09:20 AM

You ladies are the best! My surgery is in 9 days and I've started carrying a list with me in my purse for the grocery. Everytime someone says something I might need, I write it down. Thanks for all the good advice!!!
Unread 08-07-2007, 12:12 PM

That is what I have been doing it has been a life saver. I don't know about anyone else but I am TOTALLY addicted to the web site! I am going to be lost without it when I am in the castle! I have a laptop also and am considering taking it with me to see how everyone else is making out

Cindy
Unread 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM

If you decide you want it at the hosp. I'd have my "Significant other" hold on to it. Even the best hospitals have things disappear.. You probably thought of this already,,,but I just had to say it. I myself forgot to take my diamond earings off and had to hand them to my hubby and pray he wouldn't leave them in his pocket when he did the wash!
God Bless!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register