Going Home Day of Surgery? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going Home Day of Surgery? Going Home Day of Surgery?

Unread 11-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Re: Going Home Day of Surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agathajuarez View Post
Please spend the night. It was the best for me. Especially if your insurance company is covering it.
I would like to but I think my insurance company is covering 1 day unless my Dr. advises me to stay then I think they would be okay with it. I am just worried to come home so quickly after surgery. I guess we shall see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2011, 04:32 PM

I've had 4 other surgeries for different things all done on the outpatient basis. Never had to stay at a hospital overnight for anything. My doc told me that with my LSH I would have a one night stay, barring any complications. I'm a bit nervous about staying in the hospital overnight because I've heard that you get no rest with the nurses constantly coming in to check on you and I'll have a "roommate" with who knows what kind of ailments. I'm definitely bringing ear plugs! At the same time, though, I think with a surgery as major as this I will be at comfort that there will be medical assistance around should I need it.
Unread 11-13-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxdancer View Post
I've had 4 other surgeries for different things all done on the outpatient basis. Never had to stay at a hospital overnight for anything. My doc told me that with my LSH I would have a one night stay, barring any complications. I'm a bit nervous about staying in the hospital overnight because I've heard that you get no rest with the nurses constantly coming in to check on you and I'll have a "roommate" with who knows what kind of ailments. I'm definitely bringing ear plugs! At the same time, though, I think with a surgery as major as this I will be at comfort that there will be medical assistance around should I need it.
I agree, the nurses will be checking on you often but that's a good thing, I think. Also, having a roommate can be good too. The last time I was in the hospital was for 5 days, and I had a great time with my roommate, I didn't get many visitors so it was nice to talk to somebody. I just think it's a good idea to stay at least one night, in case if you need anything like pain meds or with help getting to the bathroom. My house is a split level so I have stairs everywhere, not looking forward to that!! My surgery is on 12/1. I have been in the hospital 4 times with 4-night stays so let me know if you need to talk about anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeMay2 View Post
I think you are correct, my dr. mentioned about the 23 hours also. So depending when your surgery is, I guess you could stay overnight. I see that our surgery is only a few days apart! How are you feeling? I am nervous and very anxious!!
My insurance originally approved me for 1 day for a partial hysterectomy, but my doctor wanted me to stay 2 nights. When I got home, my insurance company sent a letter stating that I had been approved for 3 days.
Unread 11-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Sue - my house is split-level too (and high-set to boot - 9 steps up to the front door, then 4 internal steps to the back of the house (bedrooms and bathroom) - I found in the first few days (I'm only a week post-op) that holding onto the railing - or wall - made the steps easy to navigate.. Just take it slowly till you feel confident.

Best of luck

Tori
Unread 11-13-2011, 05:21 PM

I had my surgery on Nov 4 and they TRIED to send me home on Nov 5; I was doing very well except I had not had a bowel movement and didnt want to go home until I did. I had trapped gas in the belly from the anesthesia and just wasn't comfy going home on their terms. It wasn't a problem for me to stay another night and I had WONDERFUL care and doing VERY VERY WELL!
Unread 11-13-2011, 05:33 PM

Ladies,
Thanks for the variety of responses. I think I will feel more confident if they keep me a night - even if it means I dont sleep much. It will be interesting to see if I actually get a choice as some of you suggest, or if I am simply just given discharge orders. I will be chatting with my doc this next week at my pre - op so that will be on the list of questions for sure. I know insurance will pay once I pay my $500 copay, so that is not the issue for me at least.
Unread 11-13-2011, 08:58 PM

My TLH will be Dec. 22nd and my dr. told me it is technically outpatient, but I will be on observance for 23 hours(so I'm not admitted, but I will spend the night). I like that idea!
Unread 11-20-2011, 09:39 AM

I had out patient TLH & BSO on 10/26/11. I was very groggy and sore when I went home, but I was glad to be in my own bed.

My plan before surgery was to be completely honest when in the recovery area and tell them to keep me overnight if I wasn't feeling well enough. Overall, I took longer to wake up (I didn't rush myself) and I was able to urinate. I was mostly tired. From what I remember, I didn't hurt too much, but I was very S L O W when I walked and the ride home felt bumpy even when DH drove slowly with his flashers on and pulled over to let others pass by.
All that to say, I, too, was worried before surgery about going home the same day and it made me even more nervous when all of my local hyster sisters said they had to stay 2 or 3 days. But, I am doing well and other than propping myself up and surrounding myself with pillows in bed, I was pretty comfortable.
I hope that helps you some.
Unread 11-20-2011, 03:55 PM

They should keep you until you have successfully taken pain meds by mouth rather than from IV or injection. I stayed 2 days as I was very very sick to my stomach and could not even drink water or coke let alone take a pill!

I hope you feel as good after 7 weeks as I do today. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register