Nova scope ablation. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nova scope ablation. Nova scope ablation.

Unread 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM
Nova scope ablation.

Hello.
I'm new to the site but, I have no where else to turn. I'm 29 years old and have two beautiful children. After my daughter was born I had my tubes tide and that's when the heavy periods started. The doctors kept telling me it'll be okay and should slow Down. Never did and still hasn't gotten better. So I lived with it. Then I had to get a leap procedure due to abnormal cells. Doc then told me if I didn't have that done I would have had cervical cancer in 6 months. I've suffered with ovarian cyst and had them removed too. Now I'm still having this terrible bleeding and huge blood clots the size of a golf ball or bigger. I've undergone two blood transfusions and now the doctor is suggesting the ablation. I've done research and found that woman who have gotten their tubes tied and have family/personal history of cervical cancer shouldn't be candidates of this ablation surgery. I brought this to the doctors attention and he still says I should be fine because I am young. I however do not feel comfortable with this at all. Even though I'm young and would like to keep my womanhood I still think the hysterectomy would be better for a person with my medical history. Along with the heavy bleeding during my periods I get very terrible cramps and can't function at all. I don't know what else to do. Please if anyone has advice for me I'd love to hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2013, 06:12 PM
Nova scope ablation.

I have to add that I've tried a lot of birth control and that also did not help the bleeding.
Unread 05-22-2013, 06:29 PM
Re: Nova scope ablation.

I went through the same thing. I had my tubes tied when I was 25. Heavy bleeding but was not a candidate for birth control. The doc did the ablation and it failed miserably. I bled even worse! Doc did hysterectomy right away. Now I've got issues with my ovaries - or I did until my surgery on Monday to remove one of them. I'm still unsure what the doc has done inside as my husband said left ovary was removed although I went in to have my right ovary removed so now I have no clue what has been done! I just know I hurt! I had to have the ablation due to my insurance company. Had to "follow the steps" according to insurance. The ablation in my opinion was a wasted step but you never know unless you have it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Nova scope ablation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasntme View Post
I went through the same thing. I had my tubes tied when I was 25. Heavy bleeding but was not a candidate for birth control. The doc did the ablation and it failed miserably. I bled even worse! Doc did hysterectomy right away. Now I've got issues with my ovaries - or I did until my surgery on Monday to remove one of them. I'm still unsure what the doc has done inside as my husband said left ovary was removed although I went in to have my right ovary removed so now I have no clue what has been done! I just know I hurt! I had to have the ablation due to my insurance company. Had to "follow the steps" according to insurance. The ablation in my opinion was a wasted step but you never know unless you have it done.

Idk what to do. I'm not willing to be a lab rat for any doctor. Nor am I willing to have cervical cancer undetected because the ablation decreases the chance of catching it in time. Ugh!!! I'm so frustrated.
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:03 PM

I would suggest you seek a second opinion about what might be best for you. There may be other options for you besides an endometrial ablation or hysterectomy.

A hysterectomy is a major surgery and there are several risk factors that need to be considered. It should be more of a last resort option after other alternatives have been tried.

You owe it to yourself to get another opinion about what might be best for you. In the meantime, keep a detailed symptom diary which can help you and your doctor decide what is causing your symptoms and which treatment options could be best for you.

Unread 05-22-2013, 08:11 PM
Nova scope ablation.

Thank you for your input. I've seen so many GYN's and they've all told me hysterectomy. I never wanted to get the hysterectomy until now. I have kept journals for years too. But, since I've tried everything to stop this uncontrollable bleeding I don't see any other option. But, this ablation is out of the question. I guess I'll have to get a 5th opinion because this is just overwhelming.
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:15 AM

Sorry you are feeling frustrated. I had an ablation in fall of 2008, and finally had total hysterectomy 4 1/2 years later. Even though my ablation was successful ( completely stopped the heavy bleeding/ clotting) I had severe pain prior to and during my cycle, which was getting worse with time. Ultrasound showed abnormalities, possible carcinoma. Couldn't do a biopsy because of the ablation, so hysterectomy was the only option. Turned out to be adenomyosis.

At first I was very pleased with the ablation results. But eventually with the ongoing pain and bloating, I was concerned about cancer. One of the symptoms is abnormal bleeding, which is absent after an ablation. I understand that is considered one of the negatives with the ablation. In hindsight, I should have realized that the bleeding/clotting was a symptom of a medical condition that would need to be further addressed sooner or later.

I hope you find a doc who can help you sort out the pros and cons.
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:22 AM
Nova scope ablation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauge84 View Post
Sorry you are feeling frustrated. I had an ablation in fall of 2008, and finally had total hysterectomy 4 1/2 years later. Even though my ablation was successful ( completely stopped the heavy bleeding/ clotting) I had severe pain prior to and during my cycle, which was getting worse with time. Ultrasound showed abnormalities, possible carcinoma. Couldn't do a biopsy because of the ablation, so hysterectomy was the only option. Turned out to be adenomyosis.

At first I was very pleased with the ablation results. But eventually with the ongoing pain and bloating, I was concerned about cancer. One of the symptoms is abnormal bleeding, which is absent after an ablation. I understand that is considered one of the negatives with the ablation. In hindsight, I should have realized that the bleeding/clotting was a symptom of a medical condition that would need to be further addressed sooner or later.

I hope you find a doc who can help you sort out the pros and cons.

Thank you. I hope I find one too because it seems like this doctor just wants to make money. After all the research I've done it shows that I'm not a good candidate for an ablation. I wish he would listen to my concerns and take them seriously. I'm not going to quit though. I'm a strong woman and plan on being around for my kids until the good Lord takes me in his time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register