Heading into day 4 post hysterectomy - how long for the bloating | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Heading into day 4 post hysterectomy - how long for the bloating Heading into day 4 post hysterectomy - how long for the bloating

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Heading into day 4 post hysterectomy - how long for the bloating

A bit more emotional today. Doesn't seem real that my womanly organs (cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes) are gone. I kept both of my ovaries, yet I'm just sad.
Finally had a bm post surgery as i was getting concerned from all the water, walking, & stool softeners I was taking in. My pain is minimal, but every so often, the incisions will remind me that they're a gang of 4 and they're still there! One of the questions I have is will I remain bloated as if I am 2 months pregnant? I assumed this was inflation of gas used in surgery which I no longer feel the discomfort. I dunno... I'm so confused and a bit regretful that I had it done although it was needed to cure my ailment. Maybe it's my hormones talking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Re: Heading into day 4 post op

Hello in Fort Worth, I am NE of Dallas.

I'm sorry you're a little down and bummed post op, but glad you don't seem to be having much pain. I've read that the ovaries can be "sleepy" post op, so maybe that is contributing.

Sounds like your recovery is going well so far. Hang in there and try to stay positive. When you feel up to it, get out and enjoy some of our Texas sunshine...it's good for the mental and physical!
Unread 05-01-2017, 09:47 PM
Re: Heading into day 4 post op

PS: Yes, the swelling will go down, but be prepared for it to come back now and then. It's another way the body reminds you that it is firmly in charge right now and it kinda sucks...sorry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-02-2017, 07:19 AM

It comes back at times?! Oh great!!! As far as the Texas sunshine, I've been walking and sitting by the pool soaking in the sun minutes at a time. I get tired very easily. I'm sure my dogs think I'm a total bore as I can't throw their toys to fetch as I used too. It's amazing how much you use your abdominal core...way more than I realized!

I'm just looking forward for this recovery to be over and get back to normal.
Unread 05-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Re: Heading into day 4 post hysterectomy - how long for the bloating

I had two kinds of "bloating." One was due to fluid retention. This went away during the first week after surgery. The other was due to traumatized tissues in my abdomen. This lasted about three months after surgery, but it decreased gradually over time. By the last month, it was minor and only noticeable in the evenings.
Unread 05-02-2017, 08:44 AM

Another common cause of post-op bloating is a sluggish GI tract, which can persist for several weeks, even after that first BM. One thing that can really help to encourage regular movements is taking regular walks. Drink choices that can also help include enough water so that your urine is clear or pale yellow, peppermint or ginger tea, fennel seeds steeped in hot water, a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon, and a smoothie with almond milk, cherries, spinach, and ground flaxseeds. Greens are high in magnesium, which promotes proper bowel function; other food sources include pumpkin seeds and dark chocolate. Another top tip, to get things moving as nature intended, is to squat on the toilet right after you eat; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in, and the squat position properly aligns the rectum, so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Also avoid common bloat triggers; that includes legumes, onions and garlic, cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon, and rid of that pesky bloating!
Unread 05-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Re: Heading into day 4 post hysterectomy - how long for the bloating

Hey girl, another day in, woo hoo!!

Just keep taking it easy and get up and moving around a bit as you can . I swear it gets better, hang in there!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register