Quality of Life After Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Quality of Life After Surgery Quality of Life After Surgery

Unread 07-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Quality of Life After Surgery

Having surgery was not something that any of us wanted, but as I reflect on these past 4 weeks, I am so thankful that I did have my surgery.

Its the quality of life that I am truly beginning to appreciate more and more each day as I make my journal through my healing process. I have to focus on this quality of life, because this is why I had surgery in the first place; to improve my quality of life.

Today when I got out of the shower, I just threw on my robe and walked around the house for about a good hour, when it dawned on me, before surgery when I took my bath or shower, the first thing I would do was reach for a pad and my panties, because I didn't know when I would start bleeding. Yet today, I can walk around in just my robe with no fear of bleeding.

Yesterday, I wore pastel green pants. I cannot remember the last time I wore pants that were not black. Before surgery, I would wear light colored tops, but never pants or skirts, or even a dress. It's summertime and I'm not wearing black pants. (It's gets pretty hot in Georgia!)

I purchased several nighties that are pretty colors, not drab gowns because of fearing I may mess them up at night by bleeding on them. I also gravitated towards colors when I went shopping, instead of the blacks, dark browns and navy or dark blue I would normally buy, because they are more pratical "in case I have an accident."

I am going to the coast this week, Savannah, GA. I look forward to going and not worry about messing up my clothes, or running to the bathroom every 5 - 10 minutes to see if I am bleeding. There is something about the heat, and bleeding that leaves you totally exhausted and drained. I am going to wear my new clothes, that are full of colors. I am going to enjoy the heat and this vacation knowing that the quality of my life has been vastly improved.

I have "wet dreams," which before I didn't want to be touched, let alone have any dreams. My DH and me, are getting more excited about the 6 weeks that will lead to ending more restrictions.

There are more things that I could post on, but the bottom line is that my quality of life has improved and each day it improves more. This is why I had surgery, and I must admit, when I see these small things making me happy, I know that it was a good thing.

I hope that all of you can find areas that the quality of your life has been improved, because you had surgery! God Bless You All! May your quality of life continue to improve with each day as you go through your healing process.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Re: Quality of Life After Surgery

We can put beautiful white sheets on the bed!!! I can't remember the last time I did that. I can wear new, beautiful lacy panties without worrying about messing them up. I wore light khaki pants to work and didn't have to put extra "supplies" in my purse. Just yesterday I told a friend -- I am incredibly happy to be "uterus-free." My quality of life has dramatically increased since my surgery, and like you Georgia Peach - I couldn't be happier!!!
Unread 07-18-2009, 08:56 AM

I was fortunate that the fibroids didn't cause me pain or bleeding problems despite their large size. However, with my 6-month-pregnancy-sized uterus no longer putting pressure on my bladder, I'm finding I can drink a big ol' glass of water and not have to run to the bathroom every five minutes! For many years I've had to coordinate drinking with access to bathrooms so I'm looking forward to not having to plan for frequent bathroom stops
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2009, 09:07 AM

I am enjoying more energy to do the things I have been wanting to do for so long! I can definitely say that I feel more "in the present" than I did before I had surgery. In reflection, I seemed to be more worried about planning around my bleeding and being really tired once I accomplished something. Now when I finish something I am able to look around and appreciate what I did 1st, and then start on something new. I give myself more permission to "be tired" and do not beat myself up when I know I am truly tired. Yes, I too am gravitating toward wearing a lot of the colors that are lighter and happier than my dark old wardrobe. This has truly been a life altering experience, well worth the time and investment.

Peace and Hugs to all during recovery! You never know what we will be able to do next!
Unread 07-18-2009, 12:51 PM

georgia peach you said it all couldnt have explained it better
Unread 07-18-2009, 01:43 PM

I sooooooooooo agree with you!!!!!!! I'm 7 weeks post op and feel 10 years younger! My hubby took me shopping and I had a blast. I've been in pain for over a year and never made through a shopping trip without being sick or visiting the restroom 10 times-I'm serious. Life after hysterectomy is better than I expected!
Unread 07-18-2009, 03:02 PM

Revel in the new colours of your lives!
Jx
Unread 07-18-2009, 03:10 PM

I am right with you. I woke up earlier this week and so excited not to have to grab the tampons and super super maxi pads. We have also put cream colored sheets on our bed, it is so nice. So nice knowing that the bleeding will not be there, the pain will not be there. I do still get tired, but it is not from my period. It is so awesome.
Unread 07-18-2009, 03:24 PM

I understand. I am wearing brighter clothes also, and it is great!! One of the kids in the school where I work asked me recently why I always wear the same pants. I had to tell her that all of my slacks were black, but that I did have several different pairs. I can't wait to see her in the fall and show off my new colors.
Unread 07-18-2009, 05:51 PM

Last year, this time, I was invited to an "All White Wedding!" I actually purchased all white, linen outfits for my DH and myself. Needless to say, the day before the wedding I had a serious attack of blood clots and heavy bleeding. You guessed it, I didn't make it to the wedding. BUT, I will be wearing that outfit next week!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register