Two days post op. Having a good recovery so far....full of painful gas! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two days post op. Having a good recovery so far....full of painful gas! Two days post op. Having a good recovery so far....full of painful gas!

Unread 01-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Two days post op. Having a good recovery so far....full of painful gas!

Well I never got to really give a lot of updates leading up to my surgery, which happened Friday Morning. So I thought I'd give a post up update. :-) I decided to move the date up to the 10th to get it over with, so early Friday morning I had a vaginal hysterectomy. No laproscopy, my doc did not want to risk any extra trauma. I agreed with his decision.

When I woke up in recovery I was in tremendous pain. For about 6 hours, we had issues with pain management. The morphine just did nothing for me and I was vomiting every hour or so which didn't help matters.

They finally figured out I needed Torredol and once that kicked in, combined with the morphine things were a LOT better.

The doc reported that my uterus was the size of a large grapefruit, but that a healthy one should be about walnut sized. So, It needed to come out!

I pretty much spent the first 12 hours after the surgery laying on my heating pad brought from home (which also helped immensely. ) I slept 80% of the time. the other 20% of the time was just me trying to get comfortable in the hospital bed. By yesterday morning I felt like a new person! Barely any pain and I had my catheter out and was peeing, and walking to the bathroom just fine. The nausea was gone.

Today however has been a little more rough. (So much so that I had to stop writing this and lay down a few hours ago) --The nausea returned for a bit too. I'm at home but all the gas they put inside my abdomen to do the surgery is traveling upward and I feel very bloated, tired and a little queasy. Eating very lightly today. I expect by the end of this, that I will have lost a few pounds.

I'm just trying to take it easy, but husband goes back to work tomorrow so I'll be trying to tend to the kids as best I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Re: Two days post op. Having a good recovery so far....full of painful gas!

Try a warm compress on your stomach for the gas, and do a little walking in the house....... the gas, they don't warn us about that! Rest and heal...
Unread 01-12-2014, 08:32 PM

Hello! I noticed there weren't too many replies so I decided to put in my 2 cents.
I had issues with pain management for about 6 hours after, and finally got some relief with iv meds. Mine was intestinal gas (which I had some before going to the OR) so I knew it was not all procedure gas. Heating pads should help. I lost 6 lbs from day before to 5 days post op. So maybe you will find you have lost some, not quite the best method, but hey! haha. The anesthesiology nurse girl told me I may have nausea after, but its mostly due to my missing parts, and I did experience it for a day, then it laid off for a few days and had returned mildly, only occasionally and seems to pass quickly. Be sure to behave Drs orders, sometimes you'll get to feeling much better but don't over do it... it can be tempting esp after being cooped up at home. Put those kiddos to work helping you Im on day 24 now and feeling pretty much out of the woods, but still behaving. Good luck!! xoxo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2014, 09:38 PM

Yes - the gas sucks. I thought that was the worst part. Mine too more intestinal than from the surgery. I agree with DEsertMoon, keep the warm on the belly and I put a cold pack below at the same time. I found together they helped immensely. Also -drink lots and lots of water.

Hang in there - it will get better!
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:06 AM

Thanks all! Yes that's what I'm doing.. a warm compress and gas-X. I think I'm gassy because I still haven't had a bowel movement. :-( I'm passing some gas so I hope that returns soon. It seems my bladder only wants to work intermittently. I'm not liking that. I have to kind of wait awhile on the toilet before the pee will finally come out, and it trickles out slowly and stops. If its still like that at the end of the week I might call the doc!
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM

Remember this is all temporary. I tried AZO and I did have a UTI, that is very common with the catheter.
Unread 01-13-2014, 11:59 AM

They explained to me that my regular body functions will take a while to get back to normal, they had to move everything out of the way to get to my lady parts. Im a bit discouraged about my urine leaking but it has greatly improved the last two weeks! Patience, and im sure all will go to normal before you know it dont be afraid to call the dr, you paid enough for It and can call anytime you dont feel right! Xoxo

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register