Before your pre-op, contact from the hospital? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Before your pre-op, contact from the hospital? Before your pre-op, contact from the hospital?

Unread 02-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Before your pre-op, contact from the hospital?

I have no idea what is "normal" but were you contacted and made aware of your financial obligations prior to your pre-op appointment? My surgeon/obgyn said the hospital would be in touch with me prior to my pre-op date which is this Friday with surgery on Feb 26th. I really have no idea about costs, etc. other than the amount of our deductible. Our insurance told me that I did not need pre-authorization for my TLH. Unfortunately, I have already had a very unpleasant experience with our insurance and a different health provider within the last 6 months. Thus, I am nervous. My surgeon (in-network) is doing my surgery at a hospital that is out-of-network for us but he says they will bill us as if we are in-network. This all makes me very concerned since I have gotten no further information this close to my surgery date. Any experience or advice you have to share is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Re: Before your pre-op, contact from the hospital?

I had to agree to my portion of the surgery when they scheduled it. I paid my part to the doctor on the ay of my pre-op. I didn't hear form the hospital, but was told I could call them if I wanted an estimate.
Unread 02-18-2014, 02:12 PM

Since you haven't heard from them then I would call your insurance company & find out what your benefits are. Then I would contact the Dr., hospital & anesthesia & ask them what there contracted rate is with your insurance co. I called myself & with my insurance I have a $240 in-patient copayment. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy1973 View Post
Since you haven't heard from them then I would call your insurance company & find out what your benefits are. Then I would contact the Dr., hospital & anesthesia & ask them what there contracted rate is with your insurance co. I called myself & with my insurance I have a $240 in-patient copayment. Good luck!
All the insurance benefits rep kept saying was that my co-pay was $650.
Unread 02-18-2014, 02:17 PM

I was contacted about my financial obligations prior to my surgery and had to make a payment at pre-op testing.

Definitely call your insurance and find out what you should expect so you have a figure going into this.
Unread 02-18-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomsowl View Post
All the insurance benefits rep kept saying was that my co-pay was $650.
Then the hospital may want this prior to your surgery.
Unread 02-18-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomsowl View Post
I have no idea what is "normal" but were you contacted and made aware of your financial obligations prior to your pre-op appointment? My surgeon/obgyn said the hospital would be in touch with me prior to my pre-op date which is this Friday with surgery on Feb 26th. I really have no idea about costs, etc. other than the amount of our deductible. Our insurance told me that I did not need pre-authorization for my TLH. Unfortunately, I have already had a very unpleasant experience with our insurance and a different health provider within the last 6 months. Thus, I am nervous. My surgeon (in-network) is doing my surgery at a hospital that is out-of-network for us but he says they will bill us as if we are in-network. This all makes me very concerned since I have gotten no further information this close to my surgery date. Any experience or advice you have to share is appreciated.
I am going through something similar now. I have constantly contacted the hospital to at the very least get a quote, and my surgery is next Thursday. They will not return my calls. However, I will let them know that I will pay the deductible and require a payment plan for the remainder of the balance when I go for pre-op. Now, I am in the medical billing/coding field. And your physician can not guarantee that the hospital bills in-network. I would suggest you get that in writing from the hospital. Since the procedure is outpatient-23hrs, no auth is required. I think you may need to go to the hospital, this week if possible, to get everything straight. Hope this helps.
Unread 02-18-2014, 03:00 PM

I will definately not be leaving my pre-op appt without my questions answered both medical and financial. It sucks to have this hanging over your head when you are already fretting about the surgery and the emotional crap that goes with a life changing situation.
Unread 02-18-2014, 03:47 PM

Most insurance plans have an annual deductible and then maximum out of pocket via co-insurance %. Most employers have an insurance year that runs 1/1 to 12/31 each year, but This can vary. Often school districts start 8/1 or 9/1.

My plan has a $400 deductible and $1600 annual out of pocket max. My co-insurance is 10% in network and 20% out of network. Hubby has a different plan with $2000 deductible and $4000 out of pocket max. Cheaper premiums for him but one costs when treatment is required.

My plan runs 1/1 to 12/31. I squeezed in my thumb surgery in Nov and neck in Dec as I met my deductible by Feb 2013 and had nearly met my out of pocket max. The hand surgery hospital required the remaining $350 before operating in Nov, by Dec I met deductible and out of pocket max so so nothing due for my surgery.

Your hospital and doctors office will often require pre-payment. Each contacts insurance to see what the official record shows as to what your exact benefits are and what you owe. Keep all the records and keep all Explanation of Benefits EOB forms you receive.

Most insurance companies allow you yo view your plan and EOB on line.

It's a new year so I had to pay $145 for my Pelvic US. I expect the hospital will ask for about $600. The left over deductible plus 10% of expected costs from the hospital.

Keep all this in mind if you have further medical needs this year. If you get to the end of the year and need a surgery or test and already met your Deductible and Out of pocket max you pay nothing nothing more.
Unread 02-18-2014, 06:30 PM

I would contact the hospital and find out exactly what you will be responsible for. Then if they have a copay/ deductable you can set up payment options. I paid my ob my deductable up front and spoke to the pre op. when I showed up for my surgery I was sent to registration where they wanted the hospital co pay up front or at least payment plan options set up. Good luck hon and safe recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register