Sleeping Position in Bed, Among Other Things | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sleeping Position in Bed, Among Other Things Sleeping Position in Bed, Among Other Things

Unread 01-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Sleeping Position in Bed, Among Other Things

Good evening, my fellow Sisters! I am status post approximately 2 weeks, 5 days Abdominal hysterectomy (kept both ovaries) on 27 Dec 12. I'm doing well as far as pain goes and at my 2 week checkup on 10 Jan, I was told that I'm cleared to go back to work (which consists of sitting at my desk), so I'm thinking about going back on 22 Jan, after MLK Holiday. Honestly, does anyone think that is too soon to head back to work or should I wait?

I've been having problems sleeping and haven't been sleeping in my bed, due to the fact that I'm a stomach sleeper. Of course, I wasn't going to even entertain the fact of this sleeping position, but now that I'm feeling well (no swelly belly to the point where it's painful, no medication of any kind since Saturday night, and only pain I've had was about 4 hours ago when my stomach hurt slightly), but I'm wondering when is a good time for me to attempt sleeping in my bed. I've been on the sofa so as not to end up on my stomach.

And lastly, I've had a couple of days where I haven't cared to do much of anything except take a shower, put on clean pajamas, and got back to sitting on the sofa. A couple of times today, I've been at my wits end to the point where I felt like crying, but I don't. I just refuse to get off my butt and even eat or get much to drink. Is this type of behavior normal? And if I'm having this type of behavior, should I delay going back to work until my next follow up appt? I'm just looking for answers on these situations and figured I would come to those who have gone through this before me. Any and all help is always greatly appreciated, pretty ladies!!

Semper Fi,
'Teshia Graves AKA Morteshia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Re: Sleeping Position in Bed, Among Other Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by morteshia View Post
Good evening, my fellow Sisters! I am status post approximately 2 weeks, 5 days Abdominal hysterectomy (kept both ovaries) on 27 Dec 12. I'm doing well as far as pain goes and at my 2 week checkup on 10 Jan, I was told that I'm cleared to go back to work (which consists of sitting at my desk), so I'm thinking about going back on 22 Jan, after MLK Holiday. Honestly, does anyone think that is too soon to head back to work or should I wait?

I've been having problems sleeping and haven't been sleeping in my bed, due to the fact that I'm a stomach sleeper. Of course, I wasn't going to even entertain the fact of this sleeping position, but now that I'm feeling well (no swelly belly to the point where it's painful, no medication of any kind since Saturday night, and only pain I've had was about 4 hours ago when my stomach hurt slightly), but I'm wondering when is a good time for me to attempt sleeping in my bed. I've been on the sofa so as not to end up on my stomach.

And lastly, I've had a couple of days where I haven't cared to do much of anything except take a shower, put on clean pajamas, and got back to sitting on the sofa. A couple of times today, I've been at my wits end to the point where I felt like crying, but I don't. I just refuse to get off my butt and even eat or get much to drink. Is this type of behavior normal? And if I'm having this type of behavior, should I delay going back to work until my next follow up appt? I'm just looking for answers on these situations and figured I would come to those who have gone through this before me. Any and all help is always greatly appreciated, pretty ladies!!

Semper Fi,
'Teshia Graves AKA Morteshia
Hi Teshia!

I would probably phone the doctor and ask about sleeping in bed (on your belly). I'm only 2 days post-op but can see that stomach sleeping might not be a good idea for a while. And I think it's good that you're listening to your body on days you don't feel like doing much of anything but resting more - good to shower though, gives you a little refresh. But I'd definitely try to drink as much water as you can (or other fluids) and eat something healthy. Your body needs the water and nutrients to get you well, even if you don't feel like eating or drinking much. I'm sure every kind of behavior is normal! This affects us all differently, but maybe check with your doc to see if you're feeling a little depressed and could use something to pick you up. As for going back to work, I had the Da Vinci so it wasn't as major as TAH, but I'd think you should definitely take more time off if you can and if you feel like it would be better for you (I thought people waited more like six weeks with a TAH before getting back to normal routines). Could you maybe even just go back part time to see how it feels or maybe work from home a little? In any case, I'd definitely call your doc with some of your questions as he/she will know your case best and will recommend what's right for you. Hope you're having a healing and restful day!
Unread 01-16-2013, 09:11 AM

I had abdominal on 1/7. On 1/9 I had to start a training class which thankfully I could do from home but "had to" be present at specific times 6 hours a day. Wed/Thu/Fri I did it from my bed. Since this Monday I have been sitting at my desk 6-7 hrs a day with no problems getting up every 1-2 hours. I am not having any pain.
One day at my desk I did wear my binder

As for sleeping, funnily enough last night for the first time I woke up sleeping on my tummy, realised it was the first time I had, and went back to sleep. I personally did not find at this point (9 days) that it hurt any more or less than any other way of sleeping.

However as the others say, you know your body best and check with your doc if you have any questions. I think most of us probably go through those post op blues, ups and downs ... I thought of maybe getting some anti-d's but I am just not ready to go that route yet ... however I think just the fact about "going back to work" is enough to depress me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2013, 09:18 AM

I had a TAH 12/17 and I too am a tummy sleeper...I slept on the reclining couch the first two days home then in bed after that. Too much "house" noise on the couch to actually get any rest.

I woke up the third night (or so) in bed on my tummy. Even now, I go to bed on my side...wake up on my tummy. I get a swelly belly in the evening that gets better as I sleep and wake up with very little.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register