Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Dec 13, 2015 - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Dec 13, 2015 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Dec 13, 2015

Unread 12-13-2015, 09:34 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Dec 13, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkenney13 View Post
I have mine scheduled for 15th at 730am due to very heavy long painful periods and the pain lasts after periods. I only have one week out of the month that I am somewhat pain free. Sonagram showed andenomyosis so I was told my only option was this. I'm thankful I have 2 children however sadden to lose my women parts. Dr said as long as my overies look good they will stay. I also suffer from lupus so I'm even more scared of recovery time and risk of infection. Or something going wrong. I just turned 37. I have extream anxiety and have myself all worked up. I keep praying that everything goes well and recovery time is normal. Please keep me in your prayer and any advise to set me at ease is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Losing our uterus and fertility can be a very difficult thing for a woman. Remember it's ok to grieve this loss, it helps us to process and heal. Journaling can also be very beneficial in this regard.

I also have an autoimmune disease and had concerns about how that may affect my healing. I was the slow healer in my recovery group, but that's ok. My surgery did not trigger a flare in my condition, for which I was thankful. Here is an article that may help:

Chronic Health Concern & Hysterectomy

I am also an anxious person and I understand how the nerves can get overwhelming. Focus on your breathing and keep busy. If you need help, ask your doctor to prescribe something to help you through the rough days as your surgery approaches.

Remember you are not alone, everyone here has either been through this, or (like you) just about to. We are here for you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red16 View Post
Hi this is red16,

I am a middle age woman who is having hysterectomy on the 17th , laporacopic, (cervix,tubes and uterusremoved through the vag). Hopefully all will go well but as we know anything can happen. I have a moderate fibroid, had ablasion and it didn't work. This was the best option for me because I bleed extremly heavy for years. I can't leave the house without having an accident. My last period was on the first of the month 8 days or so cramps back ache whole bit. Then on the 11th back pain cramps and spotting. Enough is enough! Pain today as well. As i lay on my deck in this unusally nice weather i had pains in my tummy yet again.

Nervous crying and emotional. Have a family of 5 to care for. Luckily i have no little ones. It will be quite interesting as i am the care giver to everyone usually! My husband took off two days for the surgery and then I will rely on my teenagers to help me. Funny I am not sure what I am more nervous about the running of my household, care I am going to get, or just the post op pain.

I have had quite a history with surgeries so i know what to expect. I am not sure what is worse when you know what to expect or when you know how the routine goes.

I am kind of sick of hearing comments from the people I know about how it is a bad time of year for this. I mean really! Sorry to mess up your plans and all! The nerve of people! I am not doing this on purpose! I have waited months to schedule and years of problems from what I call my "tumor baby"! I will be glad come february when all this is over and behind me! I will be healed and hopefully better off!

To all of us today, tomorrow and yesterday! It is going to be ok! We are women. We are strong! We do what we have to do and then move on! Take care all !

Red16
Sending you dear. Don't let anyone send you on a guilt trip about having your surgery now. Your most important task is to take care of you . . . as ladies, we usually put our health on the back burner and take care of everyone else. This is your time to put your health on the front burner.

Best wishes on your surgery . . . we will be waiting for you on the other side.
Unread 12-13-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathteach6 View Post
Scheduled for LVAH with BSO tomorrow at 8AM. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer (IDC, Stage 1, ER/PR+, HER2-, NO lymph involvement) in July & tested positive for a CHEK2 gene mutation. Hence, the aggressive path! I had a bilateral mastectomy with tissue expander placement on 11/3, went back to teaching on 11/30. Recovery from that surgery has been uncomfortable but VERY do-able! (Eyes on the prize!!). Little apprehensive about this round --- I don't feel like I have as good an idea about what to expect. Doc says I'll go home the same day but keeps insisting my recovery will take 6 weeks.

Would love to hear from those who have "been there, done this!" HUGS!!
mathteach6:
I also had mastectomy with tissue expander in November (ILC, Stage 3, ER/PR+, HER2+). The mastectomy was a very different recovery. My hysterectomy took 8 weeks to recover from but it took longer before I felt more like my regular self. The hysterectomy is less of a linear recovery (where you feel better each day), and more up and down (with step backwards days). I think one of the hardest things about hysterectomy is not knowing what to expect. We are all so different, and will each have a recovery experience unique to us. I found it helped to read through the Articles Lists and to prepare for a difficult recovery, but expect and hope for an easy one!

Unread 12-13-2015, 09:45 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Dec 13, 2015

I'm getting a hysterectomy in the morning. I've got 5 kids under 8 and one is a newborn, so more then anything, I'm freaking out about the recovery. Let's hope all goes well for everyone and we all have a speedy recovery!
Unread 12-13-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy Lee View Post
My only concern is my post-op sex life. Will it hurt? What about vaginal dryness? What about orgasms? Please, may it still be good!

Oh, and I'm rather hopeful I heal well and fast enough to get some cross country skiing and sledding in this winter - which is my favorite season!
Intimacy post op is a big concern after GYN surgery. Please be assured that most women still have a satisfying sex life post op. Orgasms are definitely still possible (even with the cervix removed) but they may feel different. I used to have uterine contractions with orgasm, and naturally those are now gone. So my orgasms feel weaker, shorter and less satisfying. If you retain your ovaries, you should notice no difference in your natural vaginal lubrication. Below are some articles on intimacy:

Intimacy After Hysterectomy: Better or Worse?

Will Sex Be Different After Hysterectomy?

10 Concerns About Intimacy After Hysterectomy

5 Surprising Facts About Intimacy After Hysterectomy

Depending on your post op restrictions, you may not be able to participate in your outdoor winter activities. I had my post op restrictions lifted at 8 weeks. Discuss this with your doctor after your surgery, fingers crossed you'll get the ok!

Unread 12-13-2015, 09:51 PM

Hello!

It's almost time! I have to be at the hospital in 6 hours. I think I am feeling better about the surgery than I have been in a long time. I imagined every worst case scenario there could possibly be. Now, I am ready to get everything over with. I am having a daVinci assisted hysterectomy. My doctor will take my tubes, cervix, and uterus. The plan is to leave the ovaries. I hope she sticks to the plan.

I made sure to stay busy today. I packed a bag for my overnight stay and did some last minute cleaning. My doctor had me do a bowel prep. Being in the bathroom most of the day was not at all fun. Hopefully, I've made my last trip. for a while.

I hope to be able to post something after my surgery. I've been told that I will be sleeping most of the day. We shall see.

I can't wait to join you all on the other side.

Cheers!
Unread 12-13-2015, 09:56 PM

Pretty much everyone I know had a vaginal or abdominal. I have been curious about the daVinci. I guess I will have some answers in less than 12 hours. I will try to post sometime soon.

Good luck!
Unread 12-13-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raeszoo View Post
I'm having the TLH & BSO on Tuesday. Will spend the night at the hospital. My husband will be with me when I go home Wednesday but he plans on going back to work on Thursday. A little concerned being home alone on second day. Should I be concerned? He would stay with me but one of our dogs had an ACL surgery on the 1st and money is beyond tight.
Is there a friend or neighbor who could come by and stay with you for a few hours while your husband is at work? Some women would be fine to be home alone on Day 2, but some do need to have someone close by. My husband stayed home the first week, and those first 3 days I was glad to have him. I needed help putting my socks on, keeping track of my medications, and preparing my meals.

If you have no one available to come over, have your husband prepare lunch and snacks and leave in the fridge for you. Have a list of when to take your meds written out (it's easy to mix them up and get confused about when to take what). Do not plan to shower if you are alone, and carry your phone with you when you go to the bathroom. If possible, just give your neighbor the heads-up that you may call them if you have an emergency.

Sending hugs for a safe surgery & quick recovery.

Unread 12-13-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatten4 View Post
Hello all,
I am having a full hysterectomy tomorrow and of course I started my monthly cycle this morning. A n irregular period, along with a fybroid in my uterus muscle wall are the main reasons for this procedure. Does it make a difference to the surgery tomorrow that I have my cycle now?

I am very nervous about this whole process.

Please call your surgeon's office in the morning and let them know you're having your period. Most doctors do not cancel surgery due to the patient having their period, but occasionally it happens due to concerns of infection or blood loss. Here is an article on this:

Period at Time of Hysterectomy

Wishing you the best for your surgery & recovery.

Unread 12-13-2015, 10:59 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread Dec 13-Dec 19,2015

Our time today has come to an end - our Pre-Op Open House Chat Thread is now closed. Thank you to all our members who attended as we support one another - women helping women.

The staff of HysterSisters is sending you hugs for the best outcome for your hysterectomy.

As you wait for your scheduled surgery, if you have more questions, please start a new thread discussion here in Pre-op hysterectomy forum area.

Then, after your surgery, there will be a specially created thread for our members who have surgery this week. Look for it in the Post-op Hysterectomy Recovery forum - specifically the Hysterectomy Recover Reports forum with dates matching your surgery date. You will find your surgery sisters there.

Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register