Gas pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Gas pain

Hi girls!

I seem to be having trouble typing today! I started my message, accidently hit button so hopefully this wont be posted twice. Anyway, I had my TAH/BSO March 26th. Everything has gone great, surgery, castle stay & nurses were absolutely awesome! But, the most problem I've had & I know everyone seems to be talking about it too, is the gas pain. I've taken gas x but it really doesnt help much. Guess I need to eat more fiber? When is it gonna be normal again? Man oh man, its painful! Also, as far as my incision goes has anybody found anything that really works for the scar? I go back to my GYN/ONC April 13th.

Thanks for website & any info!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Gas pain

Re gas pain. I took Mintec peppermint oil capsules, one 30 mins before eating. It eased the pain completely. Peppermint tea is something else recommended on here. You might want to check with your Dr and make sure that it definitely is gas pain, if nothing seems to help.

Sorry can't help you with incision pain although i am sure someone out there will be able to!
Take care
MP
Unread 04-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Gas pain

Thanks for the info, I'll be getting the tea tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Gas pain

i, too, had all sorts of troubles with my bowels post-op. i regularly took the gas-x and also took (and still take) colace. it was helpful to move around to get rid of the gas, though that's tricky when you're just recovering from the surgery. but even walking around the block is helpful. move when you can, and listen to your body to know how much you can do. but do try to do so regularly. i also found that once i lessened the amounts of the narcotic pain meds, my g.i. system started to work much better. even my appetite came back. and, i found that any sort of warm tea - i drank green tea mostly - was helpful and soothing. hope that my experiences are helpful info for you! best wishes.
Unread 04-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Gas pain

The peppermint tea was my lifesaver....the gas x didn't help much for me....but the tea, LOTS of water and walking did help get it moving and out.

Best wishes

Wendy
Unread 04-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Gas pain

I agree with these wise ladies. Gas-x (take at the END of meals) and walking were my life savers.
Unread 04-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Gas Pain

This has been the WORST part of the surgery and post op. Had my LAVH on 4/4 and feel pretty good except for the darn pain! It feels like someone is trying to break my bones - find it hard to believe that gas could hurt this much (it is up under my rib cages into my neck, shoulders and upper back on BOTH sides)! I have been walking, having BM's, drinking alot of fluids (including peppermint tea) - but finally couldn't take it anymore and resorted to using my 18 year old son's tylenol w/ coedine for the pain. It helps enough where I am not screaming like a lunatic.
Unread 04-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Gas pain

For me, the Gas X strips worked better than the pills. I was also surprised that (based on another sister's suggestions) using a heating pad really does help. I hope you are able to find relief soon!

Hugs
Kathy
Unread 04-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Gas pain

Gas pain is the worst! I had my LAVH on March21st and spent four days crying and screaming, and scaring my boyfriend and my two kids to death. Gas - X did not seem to help, neither did peppermint oil - I got up and walked and burped and cried. Seemed like this gigantic bubble of gas was under my rib cage and kept me from breathing! The only hope - this too, shall pass - and it does, even though I would have rather died than to go through it one more day. At almost three weeks post - op I feel much better. But it seems like my DR put a healthy food button in my stomach - any time I eat greasy, unhealthy junk food I pay for it with really bad stomach cramps. Dannon Activa yoghurt is helping me a lot.
It only gets better!
Unread 04-08-2007, 10:30 AM
No ice, no straws

The gas pain hit me on the second day after surgery and was by far the most painful part of the whole experience. I stopped using a straw and started drinking my water room temperature. The nurses recommended eating easy to digest food and to be very careful with fruit and high fiber foods until it was easy to pass gas. Day 4 now and I'm feeling better. I'm eating very small amounts several times a day, drinking tons of water and walking.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register