pain med quiestion? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain med quiestion? pain med quiestion?

Unread 06-28-2007, 10:09 AM
pain med quiestion?

I had my surgery 14 days ago. I have been home for 9 days. Because I get very sick when I take any type of pain meds, I have only been taking ibuprofen and very litttle Tylenol. My problem is that I am having very painful bouts of "burning" in my upper stomach . It hurts so bad that it doubles me over for several minutes at a time. I've tried drinking milk and pepto. I'm thinking it's being caused by the ibupro. even though I'm only taking 4-6 caplets throughout the day. Because of this, I have not taken anything for pain in two days. This is pushing me back into bed more often. The "heartburn?" has not stopped. Is this something I should bother my Gyn. with? Has anyone else experienced this? I am on 2mg of estro. daily. Has estro. ever caused this? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2007, 10:18 AM
pain med quiestion?

i think you should call your dr. could be the ibprofen.. maybe she can switch you to just tylenol. good luck..
Unread 06-28-2007, 10:33 AM
pain med quiestion?

Well... I was told only to take Tylenol prior to and after my surgery after my Darvocet was gone. According to the drs, Ibuprophin and Motrin thin the blood... similar to asprin. It may be what you are taking that is causing you your discomfort. I would call and check with the dr. He may tell you NOT to take Ibuprophin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2007, 01:46 PM
pain med quiestion?

Brendak: Please call your dr. right away!!! My daughter had symptoms like yours (not after surgery or anything) and they are classic signs of an ulcer (which she had)...ibuprofen can cause ulcers, that's why you should eat something when you take it, just like you should when you take aspirin --- don't wait to contact your medical helpers...fortunately, I haven't had any trouble, I am 8 days post-op, and not in much pain...so am not taking much ibuprofen or acetaminiphin....
Unread 06-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks!

I did call my gastro Dr. today. Two days before my hysterectomy I had a colonoscopy to see if my endometriosis had invaded my colon. At that time they were supposed to do an endo. (use a tube to look at esophagas and stomach). The colonoscopy was done, but the endo was "lost in the shuffle". I guess we are going to have it scheduled on Monday. I just hope someone can find what is causing this pain. It's all in the upper part of my abdomen and in my chest. I have not taken any ibu. for three days and it hasn't gotten any better. The gastro dr. told me to take zantak through the weekend and see if it helps. Wish me luck! This pain is way worse than any of the hysterectomy pain! Thanks so much for all your advice!
Unread 06-28-2007, 05:43 PM
pain med quiestion?

I forgot to ask! How long will I need to take estrodil? Will I need to be on it for the rest of my life? I'm 38 years old.
Unread 06-28-2007, 06:54 PM
pain med quiestion?

about the stomach pain... i've had the same thing for years with pain meds... i've had the exploratory surgeries to see if there is an ulcer or any cause and nothing was ever found. i done some research and sometimes an acid imbalance with medicine like that can cause pain in the upper stomach area... i know it sounds really wacky and believe me i'd tried everything before (including dramamine with the pain pills which does help some) ... but if you're on a full stomach and have the pain, try eating some dill pickles (better yet just drink some of the juice... the vinigar in it neutralizes the acidic troubles somehow) ... and if you're on an empty stomach (works for me anyway) try eating a spoonful of peanut butter. i dont know why but for me it helps wonders. hopefully it might work for you too... at least until you find out for sure if there is any other problems causing it. i know those pains can be so unbearable.. i used to try to sleep lying on my stomach with my fist balled up under my stomach trying to hit a pressure point it would get so bad.

anyway... best of luck to you and i hope it helps *HUGS*
Unread 06-28-2007, 07:17 PM
pain med quiestion?

Be sure to ask him about the possibility of a stomach ulcer: you will notice a change in the color of your b.m.'s to a dark, dark color etc. Zantac will not help if you have a bleeding ulcer & it is very dangerous to let it go -- the area you are mentioning is virtually diagnostic -- if you have more pain, go to the emergency room, esp. if the pain you have comes immediately after drinking/eating anything! I really think you should have it checked out before Monday -- check on Medline or another medical site for information on ulcers. I really am pretty sure that it is not directly related to your hysterectomy surgery & that your gyn. could miss it if it is an ulcer. Watch out for yourself & remember that medical people can miss stuff, too...ulcers are really common, but everybody is going to be looking for stuff related to yr surgery instead of for something common and relatively obvious
Unread 06-28-2007, 07:25 PM
pain med quiestion?

If you get sick from taking pain meds, have you tried taking a Gravol 15 -20 minutes beforehand? I did that and it stopped any nausea.
Unread 06-28-2007, 08:25 PM
pain med quiestion?

Thank you so much for the advice! I have not eaten a pickle in years! What's really strange is that I bought some just today because I seem to be craving them. Maybe my body is trying to tell me something. I have not had much to eat these past three days as everything seems to cause a "flare up". The gastro doc called me back with a perscription for Protonix. She suspects gastritis. She said to immediatly call the "on call doc" if the pain gets any worse.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register