Very anxious! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very anxious! Very anxious!

Unread 01-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Very anxious!

I am scheduled to have a total abdominal hysterectomy on the 31st and I am scared to death! I have panic attacks when I think about it. I wanted to ask if anyone has had a tubal ligation in the past and then had to undergo a hysterectomy? Is the recovery easier because of the tubal? I was just wondering. Anything to get my mind at ease! Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2013, 03:04 PM
Re: Very anxious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelshar View Post
I am scheduled to have a total abdominal hysterectomy on the 31st and I am scared to death! I have panic attacks when I think about it. I wanted to ask if anyone has had a tubal ligation in the past and then had to undergo a hysterectomy? Is the recovery easier because of the tubal? I was just wondering. Anything to get my mind at ease! Thanks so much!
Hi Kelshar

I had a tubal ligation at age 20 and 40 years later on the 10 of December 12, I had a total abdominal Hysterectomy as well as having my tubes and overies removed. I go for my post op check up on 31st Jan. I followed all the directions my Gynocolgist gave me and have healed well. I appreciate your anxiety, I sat in my care and howled after I was told I needed to have a Hysterctomy. I made sure I read everything I could on Hyster sisters site and spoke to other women across a the age spectrum who have had the operation. These days the operation is quick and even the anesthetic is managed extremely well. I had consult with the anesethetist to ease my mind. I did not any reaction to it at all. I was discharged on the 12th and came home to the care of my hubby. Knowlege is power and the more you understand the procecures your anxiety will ease. the key is to rest, rest and more rest. Be kind to your self, prepare ahead get your bed and books TV, puzzles and all things you will need set up close to your bed. Make sure you have a hair dryer ready to use to dry everywhere properly. Once my pressure banage came off I used strips of linen cut from an old pillowcase, folded to tuck under my belly to protect the wound and absorb anything that drained. I ironed these, washed and reused them. Its summer over here in Australia and very hot in Queensland. Just try and read when you cannot sleep and donot lift anything. In terms of recovery having the tubal ligation didnot appear to make any difference. Try meditation to help relax and ensure you are well informed by reading all the information about the operation that will help you. All best wishes and hugs to you.
Unread 01-26-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I had a TAH over a year ago, and an ablation 2 years before that. Not quite the same thing as your enquiry.

I did the opposite to Kalbar.
I had supportive friends at work, whose main advice was, it was the best thing they ever did, and I won't regret it; and be prepared for how tired it makes you.
Just getting out of bed and getting dressed wiped one friend out and she had to go back to bed!

My DH was the one who found this website for me, and he was the one who researched what would be happening, but mainly so he knew the restrictions and care I would need afterwards.

I prefered to go into the surgery blind, and put faith into the surgeon. I had suffereed with vey heavy periods and flooding for so many years, and had been perimenopausal for about 7 years, so I just wanted it DONE!

Which sort of person are you?
So much depends on whether you find knowledge, or lack of it, the most reassuring thing to cope with your anxiety.
I totally agree with Kalbar on all the preparations for afterwards though.
I would add some litter pickers/grabbers too. It stops you bending and stretching to reach things. Anything too heavy falls out too. Loading and unloading the washing machine one item at a time etc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2013, 06:54 PM

I don't think having a tubal has anything to do with the recovery of your hysterectomy. I had a tubal at 27 and a LAVH last year at 38. I actually had more pain with the tubal..mostly gas pains. Still has gas pains with the hysterectomy but they weren't as severe.

I healed quickly but I did have mine done vaginally so the healing time might be different.

I am 5 months post op and feel great! I highly recommend this surgery
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
I have had two abdominal surgeries and I found if I armed myself with knowledge of what to expect and I prepare for the recovery I find I am much less anxious about what is going to happen. I understand the panic attacks too because I had them before my first surgery. I did not have them before 2nd surgery, hysterectomy, because I trust my doctor, I chose to accept that after all is said and done I will be leading a better quality life, and I knew by the knowledge I armed myself with that in the end I would be okay. We are here for you, you have a whole sisterhood of support on this site. And the panic attacks, do not suffer with them. Calling your doctor and allowing him/her to help you with them is an option.

My best wishes to you
Unread 01-26-2013, 08:48 PM

Kelshar,

It sounds like we will be having our surgery on the same day. I too am getting a full hysterectomy on the 31st. I had a tubal over 13 years ago. I was bleeding from July 28th until I had a D&C in November 2012. Since, my periods were extremely heavy and went in on the 22nd of January to talk about proceedures. Since I had looked up everything about all the proceedures, we scheduled the proceedure for the 31st. I just completed my pre-op with the anestesialogist on Friday, and feel comfortable with what we are going to be doing. I was told I am a good canidate for LAVH and that I would spend 1 night. Just know there are others that have come before us, and we will be get through this and recover. I look forward to hearing how your healing process goes.

Combat chic

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register