Gas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Gas

So many ladies talk about how the GAS was the worst part of recovery. Are they talking about the gas they pump into you to view inside the belly better or are they talking about the gas from the bowel area? I've had the GAS pains from being pumped up with gas and the pain in the shoulders is terrible. I want to be prepared for everything. Thanks ~Rana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Gas

Hi Rana, I haven't had my hyster yet but had colon surgery back in 96. Even though it was colon surgery I didn't have much of a problem with gas in the bowels, weird huh!? But the gas they pumped into my abdomen was abit more painful. I just remember the nurses kept telling me to cough every so often to get the gas out, also so I wouldn't get pnuemonia.

Hope that helps some..
Unread 07-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Gas

Hi there, they tried to do my hyst via lap first, so I had the gas they pump in. That was pretty painful after all the way up to the shoulders. Worse than when I had my prior laps. I also had some of the bowel gas, but that was more of a relief to pass rather than painful. It doesn't last too long and walking helped. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Gas

I was wondering.. do they pump that gas into us if having a TAH??
Unread 07-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Gas

I had an SAH, and the gas pain I had was from the bowels. They were moving fine (I wasn't constipated) so it didn't last too long.
Unread 07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Gas

blondie (and others): You get the gas pumped in during a lap and not a regular abdominal. think of your belly as a balloon, when it is "cut open" there is no way to keep the gas in one place. They use the gas to free up and move around other organs. When they open you up, they can just freely move those organs...

Makes sense, huh?

Shelly
Unread 07-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Gas

I had a TVH and am having gas pains from the anesthesia. I have tried to walk and that seems to be helping.
Unread 07-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Gas

Yeah makes sense. I know they do the gas for laps because I had one years back, but never a reg abd surgery until now. One good thing about having a TAH I guess.

Thanks
Unread 07-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Gas

My gas pains are from the bowels. My gas pains get SEVERE for a few seconds before I pass it esp if I'm actually going to have a stool.

I had the same amt of pain after my D&C. The Dr said it's worse for diabetics though I have no idea why.

My pain level due to passing gas and stool can get to 8 or 9!! I'm 2wks, 3days post op today and the pain was so bad that I couldn't even ask for help to clear my lap so that I could run to the bathroom.

This pain is very short lived at a time so it's not worth taking pain meds for but while I was still in the hospital, the change from IV morphine to Oral Norco was very soothing. Somehow the pain coverage was as if a coating of the bowels happened. I know that's not true but just trying to put into words how I felt.

I do take pain meds at bedtime still and have yet to sleep through the night. I have to get up to move. I go to the toilet because urinating does releive some of the pain from the time they took out the catheter to current.

(I hope I didn't give TMI)

Tamie - TAH/BSO
Unread 07-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Gas

Tami, a 8 or 9 sounds painful, ouch! (((HUGS))) I'm glad to hear that it doesn't last very long when it happens.

You didn't give TMI.. I think everyone here has heard it all by now.

Take care
Ruth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register