D&C or full hysterectomy??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

D&C or full hysterectomy??? D&C or full hysterectomy???

Unread 09-30-2012, 01:52 AM
D&C or full hysterectomy???

Hi to all i am new here.
Im booked in on the 18 oct for an op at this stage not sure what i am having.
I have 3 massive fibroids and my uterus is about the size of a 6mth pregnant womb according to the doctor. I dont have period or period pain problems. So except for bloating, regular urination and chronic back pain for the last few years. I feel fine.
The 3 opinions i had all say full hysterectomy but if i had a choice i wouldnt even go into the hospital, im forced to do something though cause my iud which should only have been in for 3yrs and is in actual fact been in for 5,5 yrs has moved out of and is caught up in the middle of these 3 fibroids. I really need the coil removing without a hysterectomy. The hospital that is doing my op has said they would do d&c to remove coil but all the paperwork and tests they doing seem to to say full hysterectomy. Not sure if they are just being careful and booking me in with worst case scenario in mind in case of complications.
I am going in with lots of dread in my heart. Not very happy but other doctors not prepared to take. Chance with D&C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Re: D&C or full hysterectomy???

I'm sorry that you are going through this. My medical situation was different, but I can relate to not being confident with what doctors are recommending. One thing that helped me was to talk at length, on the phone, with my surgeon's physician assistant. She was much more forthcoming with me on the phone and seemed to have much more time for me than when I was in the office. Maybe you can ask to speak to a nurse or physician assistant, when they will have plenty of time to speak with you? They can also summarize your concerns and let your surgeon know what he or she needs to address before any type of procedure or surgery.

Best Wishes
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:09 AM

My medical situation was different than yours also, but I agree that you should be confident in your surgeon and know what the plan is going into the hospital.

When my fibroids were first discovered, everyone said hysterectomy, and most of them said abdominal. It felt like a very knee-jerk and easy for the doctor answer. Over time, and with several 2nd opinions, I decided that hysterectomy was my best choice, but only after I got a good explanation of the reasons, did a lot of research, prayed a lot, and had a change of symptoms.

If you don't want a hysterectomy, and your situation is not life threatening, then don't sign any papers that say they can do one. You may have to get forceful to stick up for your rights. For instance, my consent form included BSO, but that was as a precaution only. My doc and I were in full agreement that ovaries stayed unless there was some BIG surprise inside.

I hope you are able to get some answers and feel confident going to the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2012, 11:59 AM

I had a slightly different set of issues. Had very heavy( pad and ultra tampon every hour) bleeding very aenemic for a year straight. Hormones didn't get things to normal. Next a d &c with ablation but dr didn't do ablation because I thin weak pocket in my uterus from c secs. That lasted for a week. My next option was hyst. I decided that living exhausted unable to enjoy my family and life was no way to live. I had hot flashes and mood swings prior at 30. So I decided to have the Davinci. Two weeks into recovery and my body feels pretty good. Gaining strength daily and having no more symptoms now than before. Hugs to you. Just do what is best for you. If unsure about doing the hyst and D&c is an option then try that first.
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM

Thank you for all the replies. My situation is i will go to public hospital due to the economics. Naturally i wont be able to be too picky about what i want!
I will definitely state my case when i am admitted for pre op on the 18th.
I chose this hospital after getting 3rd opinion because they listened and also explained all my options to me, but they said they could not gaurantee anything until the day when they could see what was going on and decide. I must admit they were great with pre op preparations and blood work etc that i need.
I have chosen a hospital at the other end of the island as i was not too happy with the way my case was dealt with in my hometown. So quite a bit of travel will be involved. But it seems to. E a small price to pay.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register