TAH TAH my road to 5 weeks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH my road to 5 weeks post op TAH my road to 5 weeks post op

Unread 02-21-2014, 02:49 AM
TAH my road to 5 weeks post op

I thought this would be of interest to some of you gals that are just about to have a TAH or just had one to give you an idea (although we all heal differently) on recovery for this major operation

Week 1
Op commenced at 9am, sent to ward finally at 3pm due to low oxygen levels, spent first day sleeping. Second day was in pain due to pain meds making me vomit, was put nil by mouth on drip. second night was up all night with serious gas pains, due to not being able to get out of bed that day due to sickness. Third day was able to eat two bites of breakfast, finally got up and walked to the bedside chair, After a walk to the hospital toilet, they finally removed my catheter, and drip (for fluids), and after having to show three wees, I was allowed home. I spent the first two days at home in bed with having to go to the loo every hour (no sensation in bladder apart from hurting when my bladder was full) Gas pain was bad,and at 5 days post op, absolutley desperate for a BM, I swallowed down a full glass of cold prune juice (yuk) and I finally had a BM which was excruitating to say the least. Gas pains were on going within the first week, and only walking around appeared to help a little. Although was taking stool softeners and drinking lots of fluid.
Day 5 (after BM) I felt good and proceeded to go up and down my stairs way too many times, at end of day had a gush of bleeding, which frightened me, this however went within a week.

Week 2:
Stayed in bed, but got up every hour to go to the loo and have a small walk.

At 10 days post op, I started feeling quite unwell, no fever but my incision appeared to be oozing clear fluid. My hubby ordered me to the docs, of which I was advised my incision had got infected. Three lots of antibiotics were given. My trip to the docs included a 5 minute drive each way, and a short walk, and by the time I got home I was completley pooped, and exhaustion set in big time the next day.

Week 3
Although still resting on the bed, my trips downstairs were becoming more frequent, and my incision started to heal. My swelly belly at this point was still swollen, and was very sore come late afternoon. I managed two drives with the husband as a passenger for total 1 hour. Although tired and belly felt stretched, it felt good to get out

Week 4
A turning point, Moved to the sofa, have been able to do very very light things, ie fold laundry, make tea, wash up. (cramps did set in though if I do to much) Even the simple things are still making me tired Swelly belly still hurts, and is big by the evening, but definately has an improvement

Week 5 - TODAY... Feeling good, although tired still, swelly belly still there , but definately slightly smaller, still big and uncomfortable by the evening. Still having to sleep on my back, but keep trying every night to see if I can lay on my side. Can sit upright on a chair for approx 30 minutes before the cramping starts. Still having problems with bladder sensation and leakage, but has got better. I am tomorrow going to my mil for the afternoon, I am expecting to feel tired after this outing, but boy will it be good to get out of the house :-)

I know this is a bit of an essay, but thought it might come in handy for some of you girls (and it takes me away from day time tv :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2014, 03:39 AM
Re: TAH my road to 5 weeks post op

Out recoveries are so similar.
Unread 02-21-2014, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somrluvin View Post
Out recoveries are so similar.
That's what I love about this site, you think you are alone in feeling how you do then realise on this site that your not alone at all. ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2014, 03:49 AM

Hi I am on week two recovery and feel quite good in myself have been really good and haven't done a thing for nearly two weeks only getting washed and putting on clean nightwear I have had a brilliant friends and family network and have been able to totally rest , everyday is better my incision has healed well and my swollen belly has gone down I am now able to have bm s without to much pain which is a relieve the only pain meds I'm now taking is ibrofen and iron for low blood count I'm really pleased with my recovery even though I had a really tough time during the first week it's true we all heal differently hugs to you all on your roads to recovery x
Unread 02-21-2014, 04:00 AM

I agree, I think the road to recovery with this op is 1. Rest and let your body heal (I have learnt that by my mistakes of doing too much) 2. Great support from family and friends (I have been sooo lucky with my dh and be best friend)
xx
Unread 02-21-2014, 07:17 AM

I too am at week 5. Belly is sore and looks kinds gross. The scar however looks great. I am feeling really down thought. Can't figure out why. Feel like I am loosing my mind, very emotional.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register