2 weeks post op and first drive | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 weeks post op and first drive 2 weeks post op and first drive

Unread 02-25-2005, 02:11 AM
2 weeks post op and first drive

Hi Ladies,

Well I'm 2 weeks post op and finally convinced DH to let me drive. Now I'm feeling great and thought it would be a breeze as the car is auto and has power steering. News Flash...for me that is! While I certainly enjoyed the freedom the driving has left me quite sore. DH was straight out to see how I went when I got home I said I was a little sore..........certainly not quite the truth but if he knew how sore I'd be grounded again.

Take care everyone and heal quickly...................Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2005, 03:39 AM

Hi Karen,

Please be careful! I wouldn't have dreamt of driving at 2 weeks - I was barely able to get in and out of bed at that stage. You really should wait until you are cleared for driving by your doctor. You still have a LOT of healing to do and driving - even with an automatic and power steering - involves a lot of twisting ang pulling. I think the pain you felt told you that!

Take care.
Unread 02-25-2005, 04:23 AM

Karen - oh my gosh - you drove already????! We share our surgery dates and I'm feeling pretty good....But I have not even thought of driving yet! You are very brave, I hope your soreness settles down.

I actually did a little light housework earlier this week and was so very sore all night afterward I couldn't stand it! It was worse than immediate post op! The one big piece of advice all my Hyster Sisters have given me is to not over do it, and now I know why!

I am happy for you if you are able to drive, please be careful though! I am not so brave as you, so I will wait another week which is when my DR says I can try, and even then I will be scared I am sure!!

Hugs & happy to see you on the other side! Lily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2005, 05:11 AM
don't worry

my Dr. cleared me to drive at two weeks. i tried, and the pain was ridiculous! i tried again this week, just a short hop taking DS to school-like 8 minutes round trip-so much pain i thought i would throw up. thought it might be my car(LOL) because it's a two door and you sit rather low-so i tried my DH's car, which is a more upright four door-NO BETTER! Yikes! Even though I was cleared, my body said, "not yet", so as all our sisters say:"listen to your body!" good luck and be a passenger as much as you can!
Unread 02-25-2005, 06:09 AM

Doctor released me to drive yesterday at my 2 week visit. I'm going to try it this morning. I'm going to have breakfast with my girlfriends. Only 3 blocks though.
Unread 02-25-2005, 06:18 AM
different doc's

I was told I could drive at one week post op. I did start then. But I live in a very rural area so the driving is not stop and start.

I think it just depends on how you feel.

But I had my DH drive me to all my doc's appt-that was over 2 hours each way. I was like the queen!
Unread 02-25-2005, 06:33 AM

My doctor told me I could drive as soon as I am off the pain medication. My surgery was just last Tuesday, but I feel I should be able to drive. I think it is how you feel...I feel I am up to it and am going to give it a try.
Unread 02-25-2005, 09:09 AM

I was cleared to drive at 2 weeks, and I tried driving dh's car which is automatic. I found that it hurt to try looking over my shoulder when backing out. And just the driving in general hurt. I only drove a short distance that first time and still ended up taking pain pills. I'm driving pretty good now at 3 weeks, but I still make dh drive any long distances.
Unread 02-25-2005, 09:34 AM

I also started driving early, but I started at three days post-op. I didn't have a choice in that no one else in my house is of driving age (no DH) and my mother is getting on in age so she couldn't possibly drive my kids to and from school every day, though she did as much as possible. Also, my friends do not live in the same town as me, so what choice did I have? I paid the price, but the more often I tried, the easier it got. Last weekend, the kids and I drove to Harrison Hot Springs (about an hour away), and it felt sooo good. When we got home, the only problem was that I was very tired and went straight to bed for an hour or so.

Good luck to everyone gaining back their "freedom"!

Steff
Unread 02-25-2005, 09:51 AM

I'm also 2 weeks post-op and ready to start driving - I think. I had a TVH (kept overies) so I don't have alot of the abdominal stuff. I'm going to wait until my son comes home from work and go out with him - that way, if I can't do it, he'll be able to drive me home. I'm thinking of driving the same as the walking thing - a little bit each day. Did 40 minutes walking yesterday! Good luck everyone in getting your freedom back! Cheers! Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register