allergic reaction to betadine | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

allergic reaction to betadine allergic reaction to betadine

Unread 04-15-2006, 02:55 PM
allergic reaction to betadine

Hey sisters! Just got home from the "castle" on Thursday. TVH w/minor cystocele. Feeling good, except for a MAJOR ALLERGIC REACTION all over my belly and front of legs from thighs down to knees (basically everywhere they poured the betadine on me before the surgery)
Started Wed. p.m. with just a little redness around bellybutton, nurse thought it might be from the tape, by 6:00 it had spread down the front of my legs, bright red, welts, hives, swelling! You could/can even see "drip" marks where it dripped down the side of my hips!! Nurses at the castle never saw such a reaction, called in all others to "show & tell"

I had to go to the E.R. on Friday, since swelling still there, had shortness of breath and trouble walking. They gave me an I.V. with steroid and benydryl. Sent home with steroid pill pack and cream. Still really itching, looks a little better, tho!

Other than the leg thing, I feel fine. No pain from TVH at all, unless it's just covered by the leg swells!!??

Just wondering if anyone else ever had this type of reaction?
And, just to keep in mind in case you may have a reaction, There are other sterile liquids they can use other than betadine.

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2006, 03:19 PM

You poor thing. (((Robin))) Glad to here you are feeling a bit better! Take care! 'S Barbie
Unread 04-15-2006, 05:08 PM

OUch Robin! I am glad you are home and doing better! I had a smaller reaction to the betadine. I got all itchy on my belly and it actually peeled! weird huh? I also get marks from the tape they used. Hang in there! Hasn't this weather been great!? Hugs Raymo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2006, 06:45 PM

home Robin,
I'm so sorry to hear about your allergic reaction. I don't remember seeing it here, but there might be some. I hope you are feeling better. That is so great that you aren't hurting. I hope that continues for you. Just be careful that you don't overdo. Sometimes its harder for those who don't have pain not to really hurt themselves.
's, Rita
Unread 04-15-2006, 08:31 PM

I also had a MAJOR reaction to the betadine. They can't even use that to clean my skin in order to draw blood. I feel your pain or should I say your "itch". I wanted to peel my own skin off it itched so bad. If it happened to you once it will more than likely happen in the future. I won't let anyone come near me with iodine or betadine. Good luck and hope all goes well with the rest of your recovery.
Unread 04-19-2006, 10:45 AM

Thanks to all of you with help to my allergic reaction.
Seems to be "calming down" now with the help of steriod pills and cream. Definitely add that to the big flourescent "allergies" sticker for any next times...
RR
Unread 04-19-2006, 02:05 PM

HI
I found out I am allergic to shell fish by eating some shrimp and having a horrible reaction right away. My doctors told me that it is the iodine in the shellfish that I am allergic to. I also had the same reaction years ago when they injected me with a dye for a heart test.
Sooo...I now have to tell every doctor and appointment that I am allergic to dyes and iodine.
Well, this time, they asked me if that was internal or external?? huh?? I don't know!!! I know that I have the internal reaction, but I wasn't sure about the betadine that they wanted to use on my belly, so just to be on the safe side, they didn't use it.
so now I know I cannot have any dyes inside or out.
Unread 04-19-2006, 03:30 PM

At least we now know what we're allergic to.
Too bad we found out the hard way.
I'll be careful with shell fish now, too, even though I never had a reaction to that, I might now!?
Glad you're feeling better!
Best Wishes!
Unread 04-19-2006, 04:37 PM

I had the same reaction after the delivery of my daughter 22 years ago, the nurse checked my episiotomy site and was shocked, she said she had never seen that reaction to betadine before. I feel sympathy for you, hang in there and dont forget to list that as an allergy every time you are asked from now on! I was told it may also imply sensitivity to iodine, though I have not experienced it myself.
Unread 04-19-2006, 05:49 PM

Oh that stinks.Glad you are home feeling good except for rash.Do they still have you taken benydryl?I have alergies and sometime I break into a rash.The dr has me take benydryl for a few day.Good luck and get lots of rest.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register