adenomyosis and fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

adenomyosis and fibroids adenomyosis and fibroids

Unread 05-05-2007, 10:39 PM
adenomyosis and fibroids

Hi i am 34 and haveing terrible cramping pains like i am in labor. I am also haveing other symptoms such as sharp pain in my hip, ovary area, back pain, constipation,long and heavy periods, my stomache looks as if i am 6 months pregnant. I have had many test done and seen many doctors. its like they were saying its all in my head.

I went for and ultra sound 2 weeks ago and the tech told me that he thinks i have adenomyosis and fibroids
he also said that my uterus was enlarged with globular configuration, and that there was an altered acoustical texter measering 2 cm with questionable calcification in my uterus. and my left ovary could not be seen.

i don't understand any of this and why can't they see my ovary. it was there back in 11-06 and i didn't have the enlarged uterus then. I have had the fibroid since 99.

does adenomyosis cause these symptoms and will I have to have a hyst. or is there other options. I go on the 9th to the doctor to talk about laporscopy. i am confused in the ultra sound i had done in 11-6 was normal. can it grow that fast.

can anyone help me out here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2007, 03:11 AM
adenomyosis and fibroids

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki34
Hi i am 34 and haveing terrible cramping pains like i am in labor. I am also haveing other symptoms such as sharp pain in my hip, ovary area, back pain, constipation,long and heavy periods, my stomache looks as if i am 6 months pregnant. I have had many test done and seen many doctors. its like they were saying its all in my head.

I went for and ultra sound 2 weeks ago and the tech told me that he thinks i have adenomyosis and fibroids
he also said that my uterus was enlarged with globular configuration, and that there was an altered acoustical texter measering 2 cm with questionable calcification in my uterus. and my left ovary could not be seen.

i don't understand any of this and why can't they see my ovary. it was there back in 11-06 and i didn't have the enlarged uterus then. I have had the fibroid since 99.

does adenomyosis cause these symptoms and will I have to have a hyst. or is there other options. I go on the 9th to the doctor to talk about laporscopy. i am confused in the ultra sound i had done in 11-6 was normal. can it grow that fast.

can anyone help me out here?
I forgot to mention my wbc has been elevated and wbc low for over a year now....I did have a bone marrow biopsy because they suspected lymphoma...negitive.
Unread 05-06-2007, 12:30 PM
adenomyosis and fibroids

I did not have fibroids or adenomyosis, but there are many resources about both conditions in the Resource Database.

Is the laparoscopy going to be an exploratory one so that your doctor can take a look around inside to see what is going on in your pelvic and abdominal regions? Will you also have a hystereoscopy to see what is going on inside your uterus?

Take a list of all your questions and concerns to your appointment on the 9th. Your doctor should be able to explain the ultrasound results to you and discuss the comparisons between the new results and your previous results.

in there and many best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2007, 12:51 PM
what is a hystoscopy?

I think think the doctor is going to do laporscopy to explore. she is concerned that the fibroid has grown since ultra sound in nov. what is a hystoscopy and can they do this procedure while they are exploreing.

i was looking over my past ultra sounds ( i get a copy each time i have one) and in nov my left ovary was larger than the right...don't know much about that but i figured since it was bigger they should be able to see that one..
Unread 05-06-2007, 01:31 PM
adenomyosis and fibroids

get a second opinion and fast. Don't wait for anyone or anything. Taking the opportunity of wanting to replace the Mirena coil for a new one, I asked to have a smear test, a blood test and an ultrasound scan. The first doctor told me she could not see my ovaries, something which puzzle me as they simply don't dissapear. Just a bit like the way you are feeling right now. On going to a second opinion, I found that not only my ovaries were still very much there, but there was also a cysts 4 cm x 2 in one of the ovaries. I was also suffering from multiple and huge fibroids. Before the utero was removed, it was the size of a football ball, or at least that is what I have been told. If your fibroids are huge and touching other organs like the bladder, there will be no chance that they can clean it with a laparascopic as it will not be big enough to take it out. You may need a Hyst. But before you do anything, make sure that you have discussed all advantages and disadvantages of the op if it's neccessary so. If were you, before I go to see the gyn, I will make sure that the bladder is full. Drink plenty water before you see the gyn and make sure that you do not go to the bathroom until they have seen you. By having the bladder full, the gyn will be able to make a full diagnosis pretty fast. Whatever you do, make sure that an investation as to why one ovary has grown so big. 'Just come in 6 months and we will look into it again', but it's probably a false ovalutation. said the first doctor adding that there was nothing to worry about. After the total hysterectomy, the surgeon himself told me that if I would have left it for a year or so, I would have had major problems. Never leave anything without going to a second opinion. You know your body, you know how it used to feel and if you have doubts or notice any changes, make sure you do something about it as fast as you can. Hope all goes well. Good luck
Unread 05-06-2007, 01:43 PM
adenomyosis and fibroids

Get a second opinion and fast. Drink plenty water to fill your bladder before you see the gyn and don't go to the bathroom until you have been seen by the gyn. Make sure that you also ask for a blood test which should be there any anomalies, it will show right away. Whatever you do, don't wait for anybody or anything. This is your body and your life too and if you don't take fast action, you may end up having a bit more than you have bargained for. I was told on my first visit to another gyn that I should not worry about anything as it was probably a false ovulation and to go back and see them in 6 month's time. My ovaries could not be seen, but still I have nothing to worry about it. It will simply dissapear, the gyn said. The reason my ovaries could not be seen was that they were covered in huge fibroids and on ovary, has a cysts 4cm x 2. I thank God for not having taken any notice and I now on the road of recovery. good luck
Unread 05-06-2007, 01:45 PM
adenomyosis and fibroids

A hysteroscopy uses a hysteroscope (which is a thin telescope) to look inside the uterus. I had both the lap and hysteroscopy prior to my hyst so that my doctor could view both the exterior and interior parts of my uterus. Mine were done under general anethesia at a surgical center.

We have recources in the Resource Database regarding both procedures.
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:03 AM
adenomyosis and fibroids

I had fibroids for many years with heavy bleeding, terrible pain and anemia. I suffered through it because I did not want a hysterectomy. I finally couldn't take it anymore and got a Uterine Artery Embolization. Prior to the procedure the doctor ordered an MRI (I think they do this to rule out cancer) and told me that I had adenomyosis as well. He said the UAE might help the adenomyosis or it might not. He said many women have adenomyosis without suffering any symptoms. Just because you have both conditions doesn't mean you need to treat both condition. The trouble is the symptoms of adenomyosis and fibroids are the same and you can't tell which one is causing your problems.

The UAE did a great job of shrinking my fibroids. The terrible pain that came with my periods was gone and my uterus shrank substantially. We thought it was a complete success. But the bleeding remained heavy, I continued anemic and eventually the adenomyosis got much worse. Still, I am glad I had the UAE first. It is an option you should consider, it might work for you and spare you the need for a hysterectomy.
Unread 05-10-2007, 06:57 PM
adenomyosis and fibroids

Hi Vicki
I was awake for the hysteroscopy with D&C and even got to get a "tour" of my uterus on a state of the art monitor in the O.R.. Very cool. I had a medication which was injected into my spinal fluid, and that didn't even hurt. My anesthesiologist was as marvelous as my excellent surgeon (who is also my regular GYN doc). I was also awake for the myomectomy the next year (last August). I have fibroids and was anemic before the first surgery. With the second I wasn't anemic because we acted sooner (my fibroids grew back). I was not a candidate for embollisation because I have intraruterine fibroids (in the wall of the uterus). A couple of times I had an enlarged and painful ovary and it was due to ovulation. There is also the possibility of some adeno, says my doc, based on my symptoms. Hope this helps.
All the best to you!
Unread 05-21-2007, 07:45 AM
adenomyosis and fibroids

I was diagnosed with fibroids last year after a sonogram. I had been having heavy bleeding and bad cramping for over a year. I discussed my options with my gyn and decided to have an ablation as a less invasive route. The ablation was done 6/06 and my periods got better until right before Christmas when I started to have severe bleeding and ended up anemic again.
This time the sonogram showed my fibroids had gotten much larger (2 were approx. 8cm round) and so had my uterus. There were many other smaller fibroids in my uterus so the Uterine Artery Embolization was not an option.
I had my TAH exactly a week ago. The surgery took longer because of the size of my uterus and fibroids. I wish I had not waited to long to have it done.
Hope that helps with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register