Got the date....now what to prepare?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got the date....now what to prepare?? Got the date....now what to prepare??

Unread 01-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Got the date....now what to prepare??

Well, I've known for over a year that I have developed fibroids that are slowly growing. Well, not so slowly lately. I was at the doctor's yesterday, and he has booked me for a TAH in March. The fibroids have grown, and the uterus is now about the size of a 15 week pregnancy, although it is very misshapen. So, I have several weeks to prepare. I have a hubby, and three kids, two of which are in their teens. So, I should have some help post-op. But, the kids are in school, and hubby can't take 6 weeks off, so what types of things can I do ahead of time to help make my recovery time easier on THEM. Perhaps some frozen meals, but how many? And what do I do to help them with their school lunches? Since I am a stay-at-home mom, they don't have to do alot around the house, so this is going to be quite the experience for them. I know myself enough to know that I will be doing spring cleaning of the whole house before I go in. So, what to do?? What has worked best for others??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2009, 01:28 PM

Hi craftingaddict! I have a husband and three teenagers myself, so I faced some of the same tasks in thinking ahead about my surgery. I am a horrible housekeeper, and I had to resign myself to the fact the house would be even worse than it usually is. If you're doing spring cleaning first, though, you should be able to make a list of minimal daily/weekly tasks for everyone in your family. Even if it isn't done well, effort does count here.

As for food, we didn't use as many frozen meals as I had thought we would. We had friends bring a few meals, which helped. My husband had the kids sit down and make a list of what they wanted to cook for dinner. Each kid had two nights a week, and my husband helped them as he could and did the seventh night. We've had a lot of boxed macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, hamburger helper, scrambled eggs, etc. And that is okay. Let the kids figure out what they are comfortable trying, and then let them do it. If your family can take care of meals for at least the first two weeks, you should be okay. When you are ready to take over, be sure to have one assistant every night because you won't be able to do deep bending, stretching, twisting, lifting, etc. You should not be the one to pull anything out of the oven.

Because you still have a while before your surgery, you could scoop out a serving of various things to freeze so you can microwave for yourself later. Also, make a double batch of several meals a week. Cook one and freeze the other. If you're a cookie baker, keep in mind that cookies freeze well. I sometimes bake a double batch of cookies and then after they're completely cooled, put two cookies at a time into small snack baggies and then put them in a big gallon size freezer bag. It's really easy to pull those out for lunches.

What do you do now for the kids' lunches? They should be able to make their own sandwiches and fill baggies with chips and cookies. This also might be a good time to go with hot lunches or to go with pre-packaged items even if that isn't your usual thing. Your husband should be able to supervise lunch assembly every evening. And while the kids are making their lunches, your husband can be making yours for the next day.

I found that the first two weeks were when I was least able to take on regular responsibilities. I was tired at unpredictable times, and I just couldn't be the one to be in charge of anything.

Another thought--I am big into recycling and not using paper products. However, this is a time when paper plates and plastic silverware can come in handy. That will leave mostly cooking dishes to be washed up.

Good luck, and include your kids in your decision-making so they'll better understand what their responsibilities will be.
Unread 01-22-2009, 01:50 PM

As well as getting your house set up as well as you can (clean bed sheets etc.) you can set up a little station for yourself when you get home. For at least that first week you will want everything in your reach (remote control, drink, hand cream etc.).

Medications I made sure I had Gas-X, Prep-H (I don't get constipated), Anti-diarrhea pills (if your like me), Vagisil to not feel so dry & I got some baby colace because the adult does is way too much for me.

I made sure I had a pick up tool, shower bench, walker (only needed for 2 days but I needed it), Electric blanket (saved me when I could not get warm), leg warmers if you plan to stay in a night gown.

I kept lots of cranberry juice on hand for my bladder. I found it helpful to make little bags of snacks (crackers or pretzels) & put those & my medications in a basket that was hooked to the walker. So even when I didn't use the walker everything was in one place.

Things I learned: do not eat or drink anything red, do not wash your hair with antibacterial soap (it will itch), & try to get in the hot shower even if you are too tired (it does help a little bit).

Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2009, 04:53 PM

Hi, it looks like you go the day before me. I have a DH,DS and DD. My DD is 11 and is type 1 diabetic. So we have to prepare lunch for her daily. And DS is 3. So far I have been getting easy stuff that we can pack for her. Lunchables are wonderful. They contain the meal, drink, and a snack. I have been putting servings up in the freezer for my lunch. My DS is going to be with a sitter daily so that should help there. I have also made some dinners that all my DH will have to do is heat up. Also they make crockpot meals in the freezer section that is real easy for anyone to do. As far as the house well I have OCD. Which means my house is spotless. I have started an early spring cleaning I guess you will call it. I have bought a step stool to get in the SUV when I am discharged and also to help with getting in the bed. (I am only 5 foot tall) I have gotten antibacterial soap for when I get home. I got a shower cap for those days that I don't feel like washing my hair.

Wishing you all the luck. I am right there with you.
Jesica

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register