Getting A Second Opinion. Why do I feel guilty? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting A Second Opinion. Why do I feel guilty? Getting A Second Opinion. Why do I feel guilty?

Unread 05-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Re: Getting A Second Opinion. Why do I feel guilty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyown View Post
I think good Drs aren't threatened by patients getting 2nd opinions. You're right, if you don't get the opinions you'll forever wonder if you could have done better. This way you can feel assured you made THE best choice.
Thank you for the encouragement. I feel like I may have wasted a lot of time today on the internet,but in the long run it might be time well spent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steena View Post
Lol - you'll be able to write a definitive guide to the local medical system soon! Good luck!
You're not kidding.

When I first started looking I only found one doctor in my area and I didn't like what I saw as far as patient reviews. My suspicions about her were confirmed when I mentioned her to my family physician. It seems they used to send patients to her, but stopped after getting several negative first hand reports.

Today I've now found the other four urogynecologist in the Orlando area! Three are at one practice together, all are urogynecologists. The other is part of a practice with other gynecologists, but she's the only urogynecologist.

I may not be a local healthcare expert, but I do know where to find the five urogynecologist in Orlando.
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fall Aster View Post
Hey, Dormouse:-) FYI: I got THREE opinions a couple of years ago when I first thought I might have to do this. My DR. also suggested I go to a place where they did embolization to see if I might be a good candidate for that. I didn't, but the point is that I think there is actually an expectation that you SHOULD get at least a 2nd opinion and be as fully informed as you can. Hope it all goes well! I'm 8 days post-op now and doing fine. I'm a little tired of doing so much of nothing, but that's really the worst part;-)
I'm glad you're doing well.

Thank you for encouraging me to keep going with my doctor search.
Unread 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinagrl42 View Post
I think you are being very smart to do your research and get multiple opinions! I spoke to three doctors before my hysterectomy and went with the third, who also turned out to be my surgeon. Something just clicked when I spoke with her, she seemed to get my issues, and she did have a terrific reputation which I knew going in. But I went with my gut somewhat too, and had a blessedly uneventful surgery and recovery. I also felt that after meeting her and speaking with her, I didn't need to go any further in getting opinions, but if I hadn't felt good about her, I would have sought another opinion. It's major surgery and it's your body - You can't be too careful. Best of luck to you!
That's what I'm looking for, a combo of a good gut feeling and great credentials. There was nothing wrong with my first doctor, it just didn't seem quite right.

I don't know, I may still end up back with him, but I have to meet the others now. I feel like I'm the bachelorette choosing who gets the rose.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register