3 weeks post op, empty and hopeless | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks post op, empty and hopeless 3 weeks post op, empty and hopeless

Unread 02-28-2016, 11:36 AM
3 weeks post op, empty and hopeless

Hello! I'm not sure where to post this so I'll start here. I'm 25 and the lucky mom of 2 wonder babies. I have delt with depression and anxiety since I was very young and have as a young adult had it well controlled. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 3 weeks and 1 day ago. I have had several issues mostly with my bladder and pain control but over all it hasn't been terrible. I started hot flashes almost immediately and shortly after night sweats. Other than those 2 things I've been fine. This past Friday I have started feeling so sad. Totally lost and empty and hopeless, terrified. I can't remember feeling this bad since before my depression was controlled. I just want to cry for no reason. Over the silliest things. It's so bad I can't sleep. I don't want to go anywhere or be around people. The worst is it hit me so fast out of no where. All my meds are the same and I started a hormone patch in the hospital the day after my surgery....I would imagine that I need more hormones or something but is there anyone out there who is feeling this way or has felt this way out of no where after your hysterectomy......does it get better with the right amount of hormones? 😕
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-28-2016, 03:21 PM
3 weeks post op, empty and hopeless

Hey Lady, it sounds like you are on the mend physically, but maybe the emotional healing hasn't started. Give yourself some time. Embrace your family. Try not to reject any help offered. Course that's easy for me to say. Feeling kinda alone today only two days post op. I've had several times in my life where i neefed to reach out for emotiinal support. There is no shame in that. This experience will be a help for you when your children need support. QUOTE=Rteuerle;4744488]Hello! I'm not sure where to post this so I'll start here. I'm 25 and the lucky mom of 2 wonder babies. I have delt with depression and anxiety since I was very young and have as a young adult had it well controlled. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 3 weeks and 1 day ago. I have had several issues mostly with my bladder and pain control but over all it hasn't been terrible. I started hot flashes almost immediately and shortly after night sweats. Other than those 2 things I've been fine. This past Friday I have started feeling so sad. Totally lost and empty and hopeless, terrified. I can't remember feeling this bad since before my depression was controlled. I just want to cry for no reason. Over the silliest things. It's so bad I can't sleep. I don't want to go anywhere or be around people. The worst is it hit me so fast out of no where. All my meds are the same and I started a hormone patch in the hospital the day after my surgery....I would imagine that I need more hormones or something but is there anyone out there who is feeling this way or has felt this way out of no where after your hysterectomy......does it get better with the right amount of hormones? 😕[/quote]
Unread 02-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Re: 3 weeks post op, empty and hopeless

Hi Rteuerle,

I'm sorry you are feeling so down. A few things could be going on. First, hysterectomy recovery is difficult. It just is. Many of us need time to grieve the loss of a part of ourselves. The whole experience can be frustrating and emotionally exhausting. It''s ok if you feel that way. And you're right, hormones may have a lot to do with it. Early on, even if you are using HRT, many of us still feel weepy and emotional. The body is still busy using up its stored estrogen which will leave your hormones fluctuating, which can cause hormone-related symptoms (sort of like before a period starts and the hormones change - at least that was what I could relate to most). Without enough estrogen, I tend to get depressed, even now at 3+ years out. So hopefully you will feel better as your body adjusts. However, since you have a history of depression, you may want to check in with the doctor who has been treating you for depression to see if she/he recommends you change anything. Just a quick note. If my general practitioner sees me when my estrogen is low, he wants to prescribe an antidepressant. I decline, and when my estrogen levels are good, he seems surprised that it helped my depression symptoms. It seems a lot of doctors do not understand the far-ranging effects of low estrogen. Finally many women take antidepressants and use estrogen. You just have to find the right combination. Be kind to yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-29-2016, 12:53 AM
Re: 3 weeks post op, empty and hopeless

Do call your Dr & explain how you're feeling. It could take time to adjust to your HRT? Im guessing, Idk.. i havent taken HRT. But this surgery throws a lot at us & we have so many issues to deal with during this recovery process.

3 weeks post op is still early in recovery process & it tends to be a heavy week bc we've been thru a lot.. our bodies have been thru trauma & are still recovering, hormones adjusting, mentally & physically its just so draining. We have high expectations of week 3 when in reality, we still have a ways to go. The 4th week we tend to feel stronger, so that will help you... We're not used to down time & its hard to accept that we must take it easy. We see the rest of the family on the go & its hard to accept. You can get thru this. Keep busy with some activities, little walks. Do call your Dr so you can get the right balance going.

Im sending you a big hug!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register