ablation or hysterectomy??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ablation or hysterectomy??? ablation or hysterectomy???

Unread 05-04-2007, 01:35 PM
ablation or hysterectomy???

ok my dr gave me the option of ablation or hysterectomy...well at the time i said ablation but now i am having my period and it reminds me of the reasons for even going to him in the first place...i am so afraid that if i do the ablation that i will end up having to go back in few months to get the hysterectomy anyhow...so i am thinking of talking to him weds when i go for my preop appt about switching to the hysterectomy....i know all the risks i know the recovery time is longer but i just want to know that i am not gonna end up being anemic again and just to have to have the energy to go from one room to the other without being so tired...i just cant deal with it anymore ....anymore suggestions or is it just my hormones...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2007, 01:46 PM

I was given the option of ablation or hyst. I chose the hyst because I'd had 2 other surgeries, 4 or 5 trips to the ER and just wanted the "permanent" solution.
Both carry their own risks and it truly is a personal choice. Keep us posted.
Unread 05-04-2007, 02:12 PM

I was also given the choice between ablation or hyst. I discussed at length with my physician, while he did not tell me which one he "would do", he did tell me that in his experience, most of his patients ended up with a hyst after an ablation. He told me most of his patients were not happy with the results. I will add that he did not do ablations himself and would send me to a physician of my choice that did them. That told me that it was more than the physicians individual technique. I decided I only wanted to go through the anesthesia once. However, each person has to decide what is best for them at this point in their life. I hope you find peace in your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2007, 02:12 PM

its a very personal choice. i chose an lsh because i thought it was the most permanent solution to my problem. i kept my cervix and ovaries and the only way my life has changed really..is that i dont get a period. it was the best choice for me. just do lots of research on both. once you do that, you'll know whats right for you.
Unread 05-04-2007, 04:58 PM

I agree it is a very personal choice. I had an ablation done last fall. I personally would do it (EA) again in a heartbeat even though mine was not successful. I know several people who've had great success with theirs, some even have no bleeding afterwards. It is a far less invasive procedure and the down time is minimal compared to a hysterectomy. A lot really depends on why you have excessive bleeding. Some conditions make you a poor candidate for an EA, like endo or andeno, also if you have a large or odd shaped uterus an EA will proabably not be successful. My situation was weird, I had a huge hormonal imbalance and my lining regenerated..... that hardly ever happens. If my hormones had behaved, my Ea would have been a success.
For more info on EAs check out www.endometrialablationdisscusion.com
These are real women talking about their experiences with EAs. Lots of information.

Good luck with your decision
Unread 05-04-2007, 08:28 PM

My EA didn't work because of adenomyosis but I feel the same as (((flyersgall))) with hers. It was an easy procedure for me and I too would have gone for a repeat in a heartbeat - had I been a candidate for repeat. My older sister had fantastic results from hers. Not one more period. Same with one of my friends - not another period. Another friend still has a light period, but still says it was successful because it's not a problem for her now.

My hyst recovery was rough and I developed a rectocele afterwards that required another major surgery and another 8 week recovery <<< which was reeeeallly miserable. Had I not at least tried the ablation first, I would've probably been wondering if all that misery could've been avoided.

I agree, it's a personal decision, but I also feel it's a decision worth considering for the women who are good candidates for EA. Many, many women *do* have successful ablations, we just don't see the successful ones posting here on a hysterectomy site.

A second opinion is a good idea with any major medical decision. Whatever you decide, we'll be here for you.

s
Beth
Unread 05-05-2007, 07:01 AM

Hi Purplerose!
I am in the same boat as you and finally made my decision last week. I spoke to my doctor at length and since he feels I am a good candidate for Novasure ablation, I am going to try that first. In a way, I'd like to get it over with and have a hysterectomy now, but then I think I'd question myself afterwards if I don't at least try the ablation first. This is just my personal experience, but I wish you the best of luck in making your decision.
Hugs,
Kristy
Unread 05-05-2007, 08:24 AM

I had the ablation done first in June of 05, and did failed for me - we're not sure the reasons, so I'm scheduled for a TVH/BSO on the 21st of June - after my ablation I didn't have a period until about 6 months ago when I started bleeding whenever my body feels like it - I've had enough and just want it gone, added to that I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in February - so now is the time for it all to come out
Unread 05-07-2007, 09:09 AM

thanks to everyone...my dh and i have talked and i am gonna talk to my dr weds when i go for my preop appt and tell him i think i want to just go with hyster and get it over with...i had my period last week and it really made me realize why i was having all the problems to begin with and i am so tired of not having the energy to do anything i have anemic for the last 5yrs and have tried birth control, a d&c and hormones to stop the bleeding nothing will work so i am just gonna talk to to my ob/gyn weds and tell him i have had time to think and want the permanent fix i dont want to worry about going through this again and i am aware that is a possiblity...anyhow thanks so much i will let u all know what he tells me..
Unread 05-07-2007, 09:12 AM

Good luck with your appointment. Let us know how it goes.

Thinking of you,
s, Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register