Pre-op cleanse? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op cleanse? Pre-op cleanse?

Unread 01-16-2001, 01:34 PM
Pre-op cleanse?

I'm scheduled for surgery on Friday, 1/19. I had my pre-op meeting with my doctor yesterday and she gave me the usual list of instructions. However, when I asked if I should do a colon cleanse prior to surgery, she said she doesn't ask her patients to "go through that." For my prior surgeries (dermoid/ovary removal in 1986 and endometriosis/adhesion removal in 1995), cleansing was mandatory. Is not clearing your colon now standard practice? I would think that you'd want to get rid of as much fecal material as possible prior to surgery just in case the surgeon nicks your bowel during the procedure.

Any opinions/suggestions?

Another question while I'm on a roll: My doctor is recommending a TAH. (She's going to try to keep my remaining 1/2 ovary). I've asked whether a Supracervical Abdominal Hysterectomy is an option, but she seems against it claiming that leaving the cervix could put me at risk for cervical cancer. Isn't any woman with a cervix at risk for that type of cancer? My natropath has suggested that I try to keep my cervix. I'm 32 and would like to keep at least some of my equipment. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

bon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2001, 02:17 PM
Pre-op cleanse?

Hi Bon:

I've read about a lot of the sisters having to go through a bowel prep prior to surgery. However, my doctor did not ask me to do it and I didn't know any better so I didn't. My surgery turned out just fine but I agree about the risks in case of a nicked colon. You may want to do some prep on your own and I'm sure other sisters will know the best way to do so. I just wanted you to know that you're not the only one who's doctor didn't request it.

I had TAH on 12/22 and had my cervix removed. I think the decision to keep it or not is personal but I knew that due to my endo I was at greater risk of cervical cancer and I wanted to avoid having to go through that. I couldn't find any info that indicated that it made a huge difference one way or the other so I chose to lose it. Perhaps other sisters have a different perspective. Was your natropath able to give you specific reasons why you should keep it? Conversely, could your doctor give specifics related to your endo and why she feels that cervical removal is mandated? Push both of them to give you information specific to your situation so you can make a fully informed decision.

We'll be thinking of you on Friday. See you on the post-op baord soon.
Unread 01-16-2001, 02:39 PM
Pre-op cleanse?

I am scheduled for a TAH tomorrow. My doctor too does not require bowel cleansing. I am choosing to do it just as a preventative measure. Maybe that will help with that first "BM". I understand they are pretty "ouchy".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2001, 08:30 PM
cleansing

I haven't been told about a cleansing so far, but am supposed to keep my cervix. Usually it's kept because it supports the bladder, but because I've had "iffy" pre-cancerous tests and a biopsy (no words to explain that torture!) I'm going to go over it thoroughly in a week with my OB.
Cleansing I'm doing for me, as the bowels can get moved around, and my girlfriend told me it's one of the things that had her regular quicker and worth the discomfort, etc.
Everyone so far recommends the Fleets, which I am looking into. Plus a jell-o, pudding; soft diet before you go in, plenty of liquids. (water is best of course)
PLUS; when they ask you not to eat after a certain hour, do as they ask to reduce the risk of nausea after surgery, etc.
There are FAQ sheets and info on the message boards the post-op ladies have made. They are invaluable!
Take care and keep us posted?
Unread 01-17-2001, 06:14 AM
cleansing

My pre op visit to the Doc was on Monday, surgery scheduled for tomorrow the 18th, he did not say anything about the day
before, but I am going to be on a liquid diet the day before
my choice, just so when I recieve the enema the day of surgery, I will pretty much cleaned out already. I too am worried about having the colon nicked, so I want to be very
clean.
Unread 01-17-2001, 06:24 AM
Pre-op cleanse?

I didn't have to do it, I suppose the surgeon had a pretty good idea that he wouldn't be poking around in that area. What a relief! By the way, I had an emergency appendectomy a few years previously, no prep, and came through just fine. I'd say this is doctor's call.

My cervix had a big fat myoma sitting on it, so it had to go, keeping the cervix wasn't a subject up for discussion.

I read that it can take a long time to have a BM after a enema, because under normal circumstances one is never completely empty, so it doesn't seem a thorough cleanse would get that first one out faster.
Unread 01-17-2001, 07:08 AM
Pre-op cleanse?

I had a TAH/BSO on 12/5. My doctor recommended a Fleet's enema the night before my surgery. I didn't have any of the gas problems and had a small bowel movement on Thursday before I went home. I didn't have another one until the Sunday after surgery, but it wasn't painful. And they have been normal since then.

As far as the cervix goes, they took mine and I'm glad they did. The pathology report showed a small carcinoma insitu on the cervix that no one knew was there. My gyno was totally surprised. I had a large left pelvic mass (turned out to be a benign fluid filled cyst) that was the reason for my surgery and of all the tests (pap smear, endometrial biopsy, pelvic and abdominal ultrasound, transvaginal sonogram, blood work, colposcopy, and CT scan) I had done in the four months before my surgery none of them showed any indication of any cancer. Thank goodness it was very small and had not invaded any where else. So I for one am very glad they took everything including the cervix.
Unread 01-17-2001, 02:04 PM
Pre-op cleanse?

Dear Bon,

My doc did not require any bowel prep before my TVH. In hindsight (sorry for pun), I think my first post-op BM may have been less *scary* if I had done the prep on my own. If I ever have surgery again, I will certainly ponder on that info.

Re keeping the cervix, your doc should have a better reason for removing your cervix In my case, I had 3 bad paps in the past, and the hyst was for prolapsed uterus (cervix was part of the problem), so I really didn't have much choice on keeping cervix.

Hope this info helps
Unread 01-17-2001, 02:24 PM
Pre-op cleanse?

Having given it some more thought, I think I'm going to opt to spend some quality time in the bathroom tomorrow evening. A clean colon is a happy colon!

Thank you all for your advice!

bon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register