Freaking out!!! Surgery on Monday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Freaking out!!! Surgery on Monday Freaking out!!! Surgery on Monday

Unread 06-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Freaking out!!! Surgery on Monday

Okay, I know I've posted a few times w/questions, but you guys are the only ones who understand what I'm going through. I was up last night reading the post-op boards, and am now more worried than before. In fact, it's probably why I cancelled the surgery two years ago. Is it just me, or are most of the postings in the post-op discussions negative? I kept looking for people who were healing nicely, feeling better, etc. But most of them seem to be in pain, or not healing correctly, or regretting their decision. Maybe most don't post if they're doing really well, but I was hoping to get some positive feedback before Monday. Now I'm even more discouraged. Anyone else experience this?

And if anyone has a positive post-op story, maybe you could let me know :-)

Thank you once again!

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Re: Freaking out!!! Surgery on Monday

I hear ya girl **scared face goes here** ~ I was already scared and not doing all that great before reading the post op section but once I started to read that.....boy did I have some concerns! That's what made me actually "post" when I did! I was intending on reading quite a bit more before making a post but got so upset by reading those threads that I couldn't help myself - I had to ask questions!!

I, like you, wonder if those who have great recoveries just don't come back or what? I hear so many people saying that they are wonderful "now" but that they're surgery was long ago (as in many, many weeks to months or years). I want to have this done (and have wanted it for yrs now) but NOW I'm absolutely terrified!!

I'll be watching your thread to see what kind of responses you get. I hope some will reply with great stories. **huge smiley goes here**
Unread 06-11-2009, 06:47 PM

I think in general we hear more about the pain, not healing, problems etc...they come here for support, advice & help. Which is normal.
Those that arent having problems usually dont see a need to post. They may pop in here & there. But since they are doing good. I have read some good stories though & I think there are a whole lot of good outcomes out there that we havent heard about.
So remind me that in July
With all the surgeries I have had...Waiting was the hardest. One sometimes wonders if they are doing the right thing. But if you think about the reasons you are doing it- You will usually realize its a very good decision.
Good Luck on Monday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-11-2009, 06:47 PM

I too have read the same. Thats what concerned me taking months to get back to normal. I have read others who have taken less time. I think the procedure(s) makes a difference. Then you and how you heal. How much you take it easy and all.

I'm sure there are alot of women who had it easy have recovered and don't need the board anymore. I'm in limbo because i still don't know if mine will happen Tuesday. But as soon as i get the word i'm sure i will be nervous too.

Have faith in your dr and think positive!
Unread 06-11-2009, 06:50 PM

i have no regrets at all. i had the lsh..i kept my cervix and ovaries. everything is working well. i did have a problem with yeast/bacterial infections for awhile after and my bladder was irritated, but everything is back to normal now. i couldnt feel any better
just do lots of research on the type of hysterectomy you are having, google and read. really become educated and informed on everything that will be done, you can watch videos of the type of surgery youre having on some medical sites and youtube. i found that the more i knew, the better i felt about my decision. good luck!
Unread 06-11-2009, 07:13 PM

Hi Laurie - sorry you are feeling so freaked out at the moment but believe me, this is the hardest part!!

I did so much research before my TVH & felt prepared for anything & everything that could go wrong - fortunately nothing did & I sailed through with flying colours. Am now driving & starting to get back to all the normal things that life is about - pain free (well, mostly pain free unless I overdo things).

Yes I think that most of the post-op board is full of questions & concerns but that's what the support board is for. I don't start any threads because I don't have any questions, but, I always try to read the posts & try to help where I can.

Goodluck with your surgery on Monday & if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask, that's what we're here for! I look forward to hearing how you did!
Take care
Unread 06-11-2009, 07:34 PM

Hi Ladies, I also have no regrets I had a TVH, kept ovaries & my recovery was great I found out as long as you don't overdo especially the 1st couple of wks I think its better but everyone heals differently I was released on my 5th wk to resume sex haven't had any problems as far as dryness or the "o" i really can't tell the difference as before i had surgery and I don't have my cervix I know its scary the unknown wondering if you're going to be different or feel differently but I can say I do feel differently I'm not as tired as I was before I had the surgery cause I had fibroids which cause me to be anemic cause of a heavy flow every month which left me very tired I feel healthier than I've felt in a very long time I am blessed to have had a great recovery & I'm wishing the same for you.
Unread 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM

I was drawn to your post because I remember being in your shoes just a week ago. I had a TAH except I kept my ovaries. I had to wait three months prior to having it done because I was so anemic and my dr didn't want to risk a blood transfusion.
So a few lupron shots and eight iron iv infusions later, I was ready but the anticipation and fear of the unknown was killing me. I did, however, educate myself as much as possible via hystersisters, youtube and others I knew who had had this done prior to me and that made me feel much more sure about the decision to have this done. Of course, in the end, it was the ONLY solution as I had very large fibroids that were disrupting other organ functions, painful intercourse and heavy menstrual periods which of course was causing my severe anemia.
You may also want to research your anaesthesia options. My gyn didn't do this but I spoke to an anaesthesiologist friend of mine about this because I knew I was a difficult intubation. He suggested I ask the anaesthesiologist about a spinal/epidural instead of general, and this is exactly what I ended up doing. It made a world of difference in my recuperation at the hospital as I wasn't groggy immediately post-op and I was given a timed-release 24 hour epidural so that I was made to feel very comfortable in the most critical post-op time. No morphine pump for me!! The nurses did not know I had had a spinal and were looking at me just amazed!!
Well, I am now eight days post-op and already I am feeling much better. Have faith; if you are religious have others pray for you. I was filled with peace and serenity by the time my surgery day arrived! Good luck; you will be happy you did it in the end!

Ana
TAH with ovaries kept in 6/03/09
Unread 06-11-2009, 07:49 PM

Hello ladies who still need to wait,

I don't regret anything and I am doing great.

The pre-op waiting time is definitely the worst part. I had an LAVH and I have a desk job. I am fully employed and I am going in the evening to college.

Ok, to make a long story short. My healing and recovery is going perfectly. I went back to the office after 2 weeks. I have to keep in mind the lifting restrictions. I have nice co-workers that bring me heavy binders and take them away again. Last weekend I started carefully with some workout on a bike in the fitness studio. What needs time is, I need a lot of sleep since due to the anesthesia.

I hope this helps you as an encouragement. Trust me, I was scared from hell!!! Now, I feel so great and I can't wait to jump in the next swimming pool shortly without thinking about all the spotting problems I had. The other day when I was reading a tampon advertisement, it just made me smile.

Good luck !!!!
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:52 PM

My LVAH was originally scheduled for JUne 22nd . Now Dr. Moved it up to June 15th. I am like totally freaking out now. I don't want to be cathetherized due to suffereing sexual abuse as a child & am afraid now of having flashbacks after the surgery.
My psychiatrrist told me that if I got worried or upset to let the nurses know & they will give me something to relax me.
please give me support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register