weighty issue | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

weighty issue weighty issue

Unread 03-09-2005, 11:01 PM
weighty issue

Hey sisters,

I am 2 weeks out to my hysterectomy, and I have a concern. I am very over wieght, and am worried about the surgery, recovery ect. Has anyone had the surgery with a weight issue? My doctor doesn't seem overly concerned about it. I am at least 90 lbs over weight. I'm scared I may not wake up from the surgery. Did anyone have the same problem? I'm waiting to hear from some of you.

Thank you,
Tubless05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2005, 11:08 PM
weighty issue

Hi Tubless05,

I found this recent Hyster Sisters forum that might help you out with your questions:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ghlight=weight

Best wishes with your surgery,

Mary
Unread 03-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks

Thank you historylady the articles made me feel better. I'm glad your out there for me.
Tubless05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 12:53 AM
weighty issue

Hi there,

I'm 4 weeks post op tomorrow and like you I'm overweight and just wanted to let you know that I'm doing great. I had a TAH/BSO with vaginal wall and perenium repairs. I was also concerned about my weight going into the surgery as my doctor would of perferred I'd been lighter but I bouced back very quickly. I know not everyone is as lucky but I do attribute some of my recovery to a positive attitude to what was going to happen.

Take care and I hope all goes well..........Karen
Unread 03-10-2005, 06:06 AM
weighty issue

those links were good to read, very positive about how large ladies coped after surgery.
Don't worry too much Tubless, if your doctors not worried I guess even though you are 'big' he thinks you are healthy enough. And when you go into hospital you will be examined by the anaesthetist and you can be sure he would not go ahead if he was worried that your weight would affect things.
I think not waking from the anaesthetic is a common worry, even for skinnies. I had my preop yesterday and the doc asked the nurse my BMI ( body mass index) When I first went to see him two years ago it was 37, then two months ago at the clinic 33 and yesterday 31.5! Yayayhahy! The nurse said that anyone over 35 is counted as more of a risk, but that doesnt mean they wont do the op if you are larger, just suggest you lose before if there is the luxury of time. I'm still about 50 pounds overweight, according to the charts, though, and my op is next week. I was about 28 pounds bigger too when I had my gall bladder surgery.
I'm not suggesting embarking on a diet two weeks before your op, as you need to be in tip top condition, but just try and eat a healthy, balanced diet for the next couple of weeks with plenty fruit and veg. which will help get the right vitamins and minerals naturally in your body. Lots of fluids, cut down on caffeine and alcohol, which will help your liver which needs to break down the anaesthetic. Try and take some exercise every day too, walking is the best! Try and think positive and feel good about yourself.
Mention your worries to the anaethetist when you see him, I'm sure he will put your mind at rest.
take care
cath x
Unread 03-10-2005, 11:49 AM
weighty issue

I am almost 6 months post-op... hard to believe the time has gone so quickly. I weighed about 235 at the time of my surgery - a good 70 lbs (at least) above where I should be.

During the "scare speech" that your doctor has to give you prior to surgery, mentioning all of the potential complications, my gynecologist did mention that my weight was a factor. For one thing, it makes the surgery overall more difficult. For another, it makes a horizontal decision (which both she and I preferred) more difficult. And it can make recovery more difficult.

But, I sailed through everything - surgery, hospital stay and recovery - with relative ease. And, she was able to still do a lovely, 8-inch horizontal incision. My gynecologist had another doctor from her practice assisting her.

The whole experience was much easier than what I'd imagined. Think good thoughts - you may do just as well as I did.
Unread 03-10-2005, 12:08 PM
weighty issue

Tubless -
I am nine months post-op and my doctor never mentioned weight as an issue and I was about 75 lbs overweight. In fact, I had another procedure 6 weeks before and weight wasn't mentioned at that time. Of course, I was concerned about waking up, but no more concerned than my slim friends.

The surgery and recuperation was okay. I was able to get around and manuever even with the extra weight.

Put this concern out of your mind and put all your thoughts into gaining good health and strength.

Good luck.
Unread 03-10-2005, 12:40 PM
weighty issue

Tubless,

I was told by my dr that my weight was also a concern. The incision would also have to bear the extra weight - also had horizontal incision. I am now 5 weeks post-op TAH/BSO with a lot of complications. I am absolutly pain free and the incision healed perfectly. About the anesthsia, I awoke completely and had no ill effects, except for being groggy for a while. I was under for about 4 hours instead of the 2 that it normally takes due to the complications.

Be sure and address all of your concerns to your doctor and also to the anesthesiologist. They know you are concerned and by giving you answers, it helps you understand better.

You will be just fine. Prayers for you.

Cindy
Unread 03-10-2005, 02:21 PM
weighty issue

Just another comment from a fluffy sister.

The one most important thing I can say is....keep your incision clean and dry!!!!!

I have a belly roll which partially covered my 8 inch horizontal incision, and of course my surgery was in June.....a hot month. The best advice I got from this site was to keep a hair dryer handy. Every time I got out of the shower, I'd blow dry my incision (on the cool setting) until it was completely dry.

A couple of times a day, I'd take the dryer to it, just to ensure it stayed dry. Bacteria thrive in moist, warm environments.

I'm happy to say my incision healed beautifully without any complications at all.

s
Tam

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register