With all the talk of iinsensitive people..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

With all the talk of iinsensitive people..... With all the talk of iinsensitive people.....

Unread 05-16-2002, 06:19 AM
With all the talk of iinsensitive people.....

With all the talk of insensitive people and all of the uninformed and uncaring comments, I thought I would tell you about my co-workers.

I am an ER nurse, so I have the advantage of working with people who understand medical proceedures. Today is my second to last day of work before my surgery. But the last day I will work with this group of people. I just recieved a gift for "my recovery". It contained the two most important things for recovering from surgery (one of the nurses had an emergency hyst in Jan)..... a good suspense novel and a box of Gas X!

I work with wonderful people!!!

Caren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 06:43 AM
Understanding and Caring Folks

I agree. It's great to hear the positive side, since we do hear a lot of negative comments from the people around us.

Now a few of my positive people tales:

I have a wonderful friend who had a hysterectomy when she was 25 for cervical cancer (and I didn't even know that until last week!). She has volunteered to stay at the hospital with my disabled mom during and after my surgery. Her sister, another good friend of mine, will be down here visiting from north Georgia next week and wants to be there too.

Another fantastic friend has volunteered to come over and check on me and clean my house and do whatever I need for as long as I need her.

My friends at work are raiding their libraries and bringing me books and videos for my recuperation. (I've got so many now, it will take me two years to get through them all!)

My daughter-in-law wants me to come up to Jacksonville and stay with them so she can take care of me (and she has two babies to care for too.)

Then there are the ladies at work who have had this surgery and who have been so encouraging, letting me know that it's the best thing they ever did and that I'll feel so much better afterwards.

And my best friend is driving up from Miami to bring me home from the hospital and to stay with me the first few days after surgery.

But the best part of this whole ordeal is Hystersisters. You ladies are all so wonderful, so caring, so understanding. What would I do without you. s to you all!

And I must say a special thank you to my Hysterbuddy, Tracy (Lil Hellion). Without her encouragement and listening ear, I'd probably be even more of a basket case than I already am. And a big gigantic for Tracy!

One more week to go.....

I CAN do this!!

Lisa
Unread 05-16-2002, 04:13 PM

i love the gas x gift. how wonderful !! I have had an amazing amount of support from coworkers too and i also work in the medical profession in a clinic. I have a disabled husband and he usually depends upon me altho he can do some things on his own still. His family is ALL local and not a one of them jumped in to help him or me, inspite of lip service and only one of my friends bothered and SHE has had a hyst and KNOWS how hard this would be on us. like most everyone assumes someone else will do the "helping" but needless to say i was very disappointed. BUT BUT 2 very sweet coworkers have literally pushed me to accept their help and one has been over several times vacuuming and doing loads of laundry and the other has cooked and changed bedding and done laundry. i was up and around soon but just wanted to add some positivity also to balance out some of the disappointments we have experienced.
to have a friend help with your disabled mom is wonderful !! We all too often are left high and dry by friends/family so to have such support is FANTASTIC and warms my heart, take care. there ARE angels!!
jandrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-16-2002, 05:37 PM

Hey ladies- I have just decided on hyster with bladder repair too and I can't believe the support that is coming out of the woodwork! I live in Alaska and we are shipping my 2 boys (1yo and 2yo) 300 miles north to stay with grandparents for two weeks while I recuperate at home. After that my mom in law is flying up from Montana, (not cheap during tourist season you may as well go to Australia!) and will take care of my kids at home with me for the remainder.

I feel confident that even though I can't lift the boys, I can sure help with cooking and entertainment. Frankly, I've spent the past 8 months on the couch in pain I'm not sure they will know anything has changed!

Everything seems to be just falling into place. My husband just recently changed jobs to spend more time at home. Prior to that with him working 80 hour weeks we were going to hire a live in nanny to help with the lifting after surgery! But now, he only works 7am - 3:30 and we have the option of temp daycare instead.

Yesterday I was very confident and now I'm am getting a little apprehensive. These boards are a godsend!

Love!
Diane
Unread 05-20-2002, 05:55 AM
I'll tell you!

Although my castle stay was a nightmare.... My care at home has been great..... Two of my co-workers spent the first two weeks comming to my house daily, to bring ME lunch, our family dinner, and do whatever chores they could..... Laundry, vacuming. And they were a great sense of comfort for me, since they both have been through it. Their help was invaluable to me and my family. It gave my dh extra time to be with the kids, and me. And to this day they are still watching out for me. My dh the same.... So little by little I get better and feel good.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register