Should I get that second opinion? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I get that second opinion? Should I get that second opinion?

Unread 03-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Should I get that second opinion?

Hi Ladies,
I am scheduled for a TAH and BSO, my pre-op in this Monday. I keep hearing about getting the second opinion. I'm going to have the surgery because it's a pre-cancer but is there something I'm not thinking of that I might gain from having that second opinion? Maybe I should post this in the post-op. Plus in the second opinions is it done with paperwork or do you actually get physically examined?

Thanks for your thoughts.........my thoughts really are all jumbled and not making much sense.

Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 09:05 PM

Paula,

I got two opinions and they were very "different" opinions on what type of hyst would be most appropriate in my case.

My 1st Dr. wanted to do a TAH due to the size of my fibroids. She said I was ~not~ a candidate for a laparoscopic hyst.

I got a 2nd opinion and he suggested a LSH after I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids for surgery.

The point of my story?? You may get another viewpoint with a 2nd opinion and I think it just adds to the information and research for a hyst choice. If anything, a 2nd opinion may just reinforce what your Dr. has said and it will make you feel more comfortable with your present decision.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 03-04-2005, 09:22 PM

I would DEFINITELY get a second opinion of your ovaries are involved and precancer.

I have a friend who was told she had precancer and needed at TAH/BSO and she got not only a second opinion from a gyno, but also had a second opinion from a different pathologist and they found no sign of hyperplasia.

She's taking a wait and see approach with the new doctor/pathologist team and is going back for another D&C to make sure in a few months - but she's very happy with this new outcome.

When you go in for a second opinion, some doctors just review your previous test results and give you an exam. Some doctors will actually run new tests. It's usually best to get a referral from either your GP or from a trusted friend. If you get a referral from your present gyno, they'll likely send you to someone who will agree with them.

Point of the story is to definitely get a second opinion, especially whe considering removing what are otherwise healthy ovaries.

Take care and let us know how your consult goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 09:52 PM

Paula,
It's surgery, I definately would get a second opinion. I told my gyn that I intended on getting a second opinion and she thought it was a good idea. Your doctor should not be insulted at your desire to get a second opinion and if he/she is I would really worry about that doctor.
My doctor did not even want to refer me to another doctor for a second opinion because it looks like she might be referring me to a doctor that would say the same thing.

Get a referral from a friend or local hospital. My doctor (female) even said that maybe I might want an opinion of a male doctor.

As far as exam goes. I went to my gyn and got her opinion. Vaginal Hyst with Lapro correction for cystocele

When I wanted a second opinion I went to my primary care physician and found out she would not do the procedure anyway so she referred me to another doctor (the one that did her hysterectomy) No exam that visit But on to gyn. #2 for an opinion.

#2 examed and told me he thought a TVH was all I needed. Even though he came very highly recommended, I did not feel comfortable with him. Unfortunately he made me feel like a car going in for a total overhaul.

I am actually going to see another doctor next week. So yes, I highly recommend a second opinion or even third, but I do not plan on making this a hobby.

Blessings, deb

Unread 03-04-2005, 10:11 PM

Minimun of 2 opinions for any elective surgery. If you do not have cancer-it is elective. Pre-cancer is not cancer. If you have a large university center try there. You want to hear all treatment options available!

I am pretty confident that had I gotten a second opinion I would not have had any surgery.

Bring copies of your lab/pathology reports with you. You may not require an exam but the doctor would need to see whatever concrete information you have.
Unread 03-05-2005, 02:32 AM

A second opinion is always valuable.

It can give you peace of mind, you can feel more confident that you have the right information and you may find that different doctors offer different approaches which may be easier on your system.

If your situation is not life threatening, and this is not an emergency procedure, it is worth taking the time to get that second opinion.

best wishes.
Unread 03-05-2005, 07:30 AM

Just my But I would if it was me. You might be able to have a less invasive surgery and I would question removing my ovaries without a really good reason.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Donna
Unread 03-05-2005, 08:45 AM

I haven't had a 2nd opinion. I've had the same Gyn since I first found out I was pregnant with my oldest over 10 years ago. He knows my family history and my body just about as well as I do and he's seen me progressively get worse since we first met. We tried a couple of options, but because b/c doesn't react well with me and I was done having children (We have 2 quite handsome young men already, feel no need for a girl. Thats what daughter in laws and our dog are for! ) I decided to go for a hyst and be done with it. My quality of life, or lack thereof, was what made me comfortable with my decision. I did a ton of research, asked alot of questions and found all of these wonderful ladies. I'm thoroughly comfortable with my decision and can hardly wait to be on the other side!!
BUT! You have to do what is comfortable for you, and only you will know when you have reached that point. If you only want one opinion or 6, thats up to you and nobody should be able to tell you otherwise.
Best of luck to you! Happy deciding!
Hugs
Jen
Unread 03-05-2005, 08:58 AM

i got a second opinion. liked the second doctor much more than the first. I'm 9 days post op and I feel good, so I guess I made the right choice.
Unread 03-05-2005, 10:05 AM

Paula,
pls also see my reply to your Mar 2 query (https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=191031). Second opinions are invaluable, even if they only provide peace of mind that one needs an operation when it comes to major surgery. In your particular situation having a dx of complex atypical hyperplasia (CAH), I'd encourage you to consider obtaining a second opinion from a gyn/oncologist.
FYI, I did not have tests when I went to two different gyn/oncs for 2nd opinions but my gyn had probably exhausted all such tests (incl CT scan, D&C, sonograms, blood tests) as I tried to convince her I did not need the surgery and, among other things, she wanted to reassure me that I did.
s, peggiesue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register