Anyone with possible bowel resection also? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone with possible bowel resection also? Anyone with possible bowel resection also?

Unread 04-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Anyone with possible bowel resection also?

Going for a complete hyst for endo in less than two weeks.
I have always had bowel problems in conjunction w/ my periods and endo flares, but this time my colon is definitely affected. A CT scan in the ER revealed that my cecum (where appendix hangs from) is displaced...from adhesions

My surgeon (a gyn onc) told me that if needed I will have a bowel resection. Is anyone else out there in the same boat remotely?

I think this is the aspect of surgery I'm worried about the most...or that he will find things so glued together.

Just a wonderin'. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2010, 08:15 AM
Re: Anyone with possible bowel resection also?

well I worried about a bowel resection as well. I didn't end up having one but they did have to take my appendix as it was covered in endo and attached to my ovary, tube and uterus and bowel. ALL of my pelvic organs were attached to my bowel. My rectum was covered in endo too. So while I didn't have a ressection I still had some work done. Now that I ma having food in my body I can feel it ias it passes the areas they worked on. ;-)
Unread 04-17-2010, 08:35 AM

Is it painful now that you have intro'd food back into your system...or just a different feeling?

My digestion is so messed up right now, bms are a nightmare (sorry tmi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2010, 10:17 AM

It is somewhat painful as it passes under the areas I know they worked on. No worries about the details. My digestion has been messed up for quite a while. In fact I worry this may not be my last surgery simply because of my intestines being so messed up.

I can eat just fine, I have an appetite, although I can't eat a whole lot at once. I get full quickly. I woke this am with pain where food was passing through my bowel. It wasn't excrutiating but enough to tell me that I would need to take a stool softener or laxitive to clean me out. I can't push the stuff out it's too painful. ;-)
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:20 AM

If you do end up with a ressection they will most likely have you on a liquid diet for a while until your bowel sounds have returned. They won't want you packing food in there unless your body has intentions of pushing it out. You may even have a ng tube in your nose that drains the gastric secretions from your belly so that your bowel can heal. Not all docs do that so you would want to check with your surgeon. Don't worry it's not painful just very annoying, so I hear, I've never had one. ;-)
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:31 PM

I'm so sorry that you think you will need more surgery. Did your dr tell you that? Maybe your system just needs more time to heal.

I hear ya about painful bm and not wanting to push.
I'm just so scared to think about what is going on in there, wondering if I'll ever be out of pain.

Thanks for the heads up about the liquid diet and tube. I'm going to ask at pre-op. I want to prepare as much as possible.
Unread 04-17-2010, 02:20 PM

I'm worried about this too. My endometriosis is really bad, apparently my uterus is stuck to my bowels and my ovary is stuck to my uterus. Who knows what else they will find when they go in there.

My doctor is really concerned about removing the endo that is close to my rectum and cervix. She told me that she wants to remove the cervix too, but if there is a high risk of perforation she told me that she may have to leave some of it in there, and just remove what she can. It is very nerve wracking. I just hope that everything still works the way that it's supposed to once this is all over.

Good to know about the liquid diet and the possible tube thing. I like to prepare myself ahead of time. Sending you best wishes for your upcoming surgery.
Unread 04-19-2010, 10:18 AM

I have been there and it wasn't too bad. When I had my hysterectomy they had to do a bowel resection due to endi right in the place yours would be. They removed my appendix, cecum, and a small part of my small intestine. Then they reattached my large and small intestines. I had the Davinci procedure and the did the bowel resection laproscopically too and it wasn't bad at all. When I woke up I didn't have anything down my throat. They put a patch behind my ear for nausea that kept my mouth dry and my tummy calm. I later discovered the nausea was from the morphine (I can't handle it). So once they switched my pain meds I was fine. Liquid/soft food diet until you pass gas, then they let you eat regular food and go home. I was in the hospital Mon to Thur. I actually took a shower with assistance on Tues afternoon. They didn't restrict my diet when I left the hospital but I did. I stayed away from raw veggies and beef for 3-4 weeks since it is the slowest and hardest for you body to process. I cooked all veggies, drank my fruit and ate fish and some chicken. My first hamburger was so good since it had been a month! I was on stool softeners but that is common with pain meds after any surgery but they really want to make sure things stay soft and no strainning occurs. Also, no laxitives only what they tell you you can use. Laxitives stimulate the colon and they don't want that after a resection. My doctor prescribed Colace and I asked about Miralax, both were ok'd by my doctor. So ask any questions like that before leaving the hospital.

It has been 4 months now since my surgery and everything has been great for me for quite awhile. Before surgery I couldn't even go to the bathroom without using prune juice or Miralax and don't even get me started on the pain! But all is well now and I eat everthing again. Hope all goes well for you too! Let me know if you have any questions.
Unread 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM

Aeryn, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience, it's made me a little bit more at ease about the whole thing. Holy xxxx, I don't know what I would do w/out this site. Seriously.

Any other advice you can give? I'm so nervous about the whole surgical thing...w/ many (some would say) irrational fears popping up. How did you stay calm before? Did you have an idea that you would be having a resection or was it a surprise after surgery?
I get the feeling that you're a pretty chill person to begin with (I dunno why)...do you think that's helped overall?

I've been going through all of these crazy emotions...ping ponging. Depressed about surgical menopause...then freaked about going under anesthesia....then, dare i say....almost excited that finally I will be out of this daily, debilitating pain.
Unread 04-19-2010, 01:05 PM

The plan was a possibe resection due to mass found during colon test but that mass is as the other end and still there. They didn't know about the one they removed until they went in. They couldn't do 2 resections at once - too risky- so if it doesn't shrink up and go away or atleast stop growing then I will have to go back to have another resection. But it is small and not giving me any problems now. The one they removed had completly invaded my bowel and doing the resection was the only way to remove my ovary. It was one big mass. I seem to be all better. I am not on HRT right now and don't plan on going on it since I do not have any menopause symptoms so hopfully the endo won't give me any more problems. So I was thinking they may need to do a bowel resection just not where they did it.

Glad I sound calm. At the time I wasn't. I had all the fears you mentioned. My husband told me this was worst case
scenario for me. He claims my biggest fear is the fear of the unknown and this experience has A LOT of unknowns in it. For keeping calm before, once your set and ready for surgery - stay busy or keep your mind occupied on other things. I know it is hard but I read books and watched movies and talked to friends (about stuff unrelated) when I wasn't working.

It was all worth it for me! The pain is gone, I can go to the bathroom again, I can eat whatever I want, menopause isn't a problem (eventhough I am 38, not on HRT and had my ovaries removed - I am still puzzled by that one). I have been where you are with the exact same concerns and fears (this was my first surgery) and it all went just fine for me. You are not being irrational. Most everyone on this board has had the same thoughts you mentioned. I would have been miserable without this site prior to surgery and the first few weeks after surgery. This site and the women on it are amazing.

I actually hadn't been on here for a while (no problems) and had a couple of minutes so I thought I would look around and here you were with my exact scenario and I was able to provide my experience to help you. So don't forget to come back and help 6 months from now when you are all better. It's amazing

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register