more fiber | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-22-2002, 05:06 PM
more fiber

I thought since I would want more fiber in my diet after my OP that I would start now (3 months before) to see how it acts on my body, cause I figure I will have lots of gas and I didn't want to add more gas to my poor body. I started using Benefiber made by ex-lax, and it does cause lots of extra gas!! I have used almost the whole bottle thinking my gut has to get use to it and it will get better....not... has anyone had better luck with another brand??
I'm 54yrs. and do need more fiber in my diet but I don't need the gas!! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2002, 10:33 PM
more fiber

hi neshane,

I haven't had to try this stuff but I have read a few threads about fiber. Seems after surgery when your bowels wake up, that the girls complain about the stool softner not helping...(getting gross here) otherwords, things were soft, just not ample. And...you're right, gas is such a pain!

As I read threads, I write down bran names or ideas that I need to remember. For my list post op under, "Bowels", I have listed some of the girls suggestions.
-citrocel
-metamucil in juice
-metamucil wafters
-fibercon

some of the foods I've listed are:
rolled oats, fiber one cereal, bran, carrots, prunes, whole grains, apples, lettuce

I recall the majority of post op ladies had to stop the stool softner after the first week and go toward more fiber. I hope this helps,.... but please....I have not tried any of these and maybe it's best to ask your doctor. I understand you want to find something that works for you before you really need it. But fiber right after surgery may not be what you need because the intestines are too tender... ??? your doctor will know.

We are almost the same age and I wish you well on your surgery. Will it be in late December?

Maralyn in California
Unread 09-23-2002, 08:12 AM
more fiber

Ohhhh - be careful. Going from a low fiber to a high fiber diet overnight causes gas problems. This I learned from experience. Your gas could be from jumping in too quickly. The advise given to me was 1/4 cup high fiber cereal for breakfast for a week and add alittle more each week. After a month I ate all the fiber I wanted and needed without the gas.
I can now be out in public without flavoring the air!

hope this helps.
pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2002, 08:12 AM
fiber

Hi Neshane,
It is a great idea to be starting the fiber this early, because you will find out what works best for you. I started 2 months pre-op with iron pills(because of donating my own blood beore surgery) and was told that I could get constipated from the iron. So, I started eating prunes daily. I like the dried prunes that are flavored....Cherry essence is my favorite. And I would have 3 in the morning with my tea, and at night before bed I would have 3 or 4 as my snack with lots of water. I became regular with soft stools. I am 2 weeks post op and still continue with that routine. Right after surgery, I was careful with my diet.....very bland for the first week. Sill doing the prunes and I think that will be a lifelong habit..they are good for you in other ways too. Hope this helps.
FlossBoss/Molly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register