Light walking on treadmill - When? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Light walking on treadmill - When? Light walking on treadmill - When?

Unread 01-27-2014, 06:07 PM
Light walking on treadmill - When?

Hi sisters. I'm 6 days post-op from a total davinci. Surgery went great & I feel so good. Very happy! Have a post-op Appt in 2 weeks so I'm trying to get a general idea & plan ahead. My doc said I could do light walking on treadmill(no incline, very low speed). Just didn't tell me when? At how many weeks did anyone do this, or any similar light exercise? Live in cold snowy area so walking outside is not an option soon. I'm also not a stranger to fitness - 37 & a former competitive dancer. Been active my whole life. Thanks for reading lengthy thread. Hope everyone is well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Re: Light walking on treadmill - When?

I had LSH last Weds and my GYN said I could do the treadmill on week 2, but to listen to my body and stop if I had pain. I was planning to try this Friday because I feel pretty good.
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:30 PM

I started walking the halls the same day as surgery. Started walking the neighborhood as soon as I got home. The first few days it was to the end of driveway and back... I had mine in July so my problem was the opposite of yours - way to hot/muggy to walk outside. I was released to drive at my 9 day post op - went to the gym on the way home - walked on the treadmill. Was back up to my pre-surgery speed by my 3 week appt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2 View Post
I had LSH last Weds and my GYN said I could do the treadmill on week 2, but to listen to my body and stop if I had pain. I was planning to try this Friday because I feel pretty good.
Thank you for reply and suggestion. Gonna try during week 2 & pay attention to any pain. Hope your workout goes well. Here's to your continued good recovery.
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperPusher View Post
I started walking the halls the same day as surgery. Started walking the neighborhood as soon as I got home. The first few days it was to the end of driveway and back... I had mine in July so my problem was the opposite of yours - way to hot/muggy to walk outside. I was released to drive at my 9 day post op - went to the gym on the way home - walked on the treadmill. Was back up to my pre-surgery speed by my 3 week appt.
Thank you for reply. You sound like me! Was walking the halls in the hospital more than laying in bed. Great to hear that you jumped right back into your workout. Inspirational.
Unread 01-28-2014, 03:13 PM

I was on the bike in week 1, and on the treadmill in week 2, alternating light running and walking.

I think it all depends - not everyone can do this - probably depends on your age, pre-surgery state and general level of health. Some recover much more quickly than others. Despite all the dire warnings, nothing bled (not a drop), nothing snapped, and recovery was easy to the point I felt bad taking the time off work. At the 6 week checkup the doctor said everything looked "beautifully healed"; carry on with your life.
Unread 01-28-2014, 03:24 PM

I was walking laps around the ward in the hospital and started taking walks around the block the day after I was released. I had to take short steps and go slowly, but even the first week I could go out 2-3 times a day for 5-10 minute (later 10-15 minute) walks. If you keep the treadmill flat and the speed at a suitable setting for an 80-year-old with a bad hip, I don't see why that wouldn't be the same as what you'd be doing if you could do it outside. In fact, I would think that this would be better for you than no walking at all.

I found that the length of my stride was back to normal by the end of the first week and my speed was back to normal by the end of the second week. The third week, I started adding hills to my repertoire. Listen to your body at all times and stop when your body says stop! Also, when you're not walking, spend as much time as possible sitting upright rather than reclining. :-)
Unread 01-28-2014, 03:40 PM

Thank you ladies for replies. It's great to hear your positive feedback & insight. I'll remember to take it slow. And thank you SuprisedInNB for tip on sitting up.
Unread 01-28-2014, 03:44 PM

The nurses in the hospital where I had surgery were insistent on me sitting up - and they were right! It's surprisingly effective and appropriate exercise for your abs at a time when your abs may not be able to hand much more.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register