Antidepressants and pain meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Antidepressants and pain meds Antidepressants and pain meds

Unread 12-04-2011, 06:21 AM
Antidepressants and pain meds

I am scheduled for my hysterectomy on dec. 7th. We are planning on a laproscopic surgery, although it might change into an abdominal due to scar tissue, etc. I have been taking antidepressants for anxiety for months, and I know that suddenly stopping can cause terrible withdrawal! Does anyone here know if I can take pain meds and antidepressants together? I'm really worried about this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Re: Antidepressants and pain meds

Since you haven't mentioned which antidepressant you are taking, and you probably do not know yet which pain medications your DR is planning to have you use, both in the hospital and at home, the best thing would be to ask your DR what the plan is for helping you get through this. There are interactions between *some* antidepressants and *some* pain meds, but not all.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:49 AM

Please talk with your doctor about this. I take meds for anxiety & my dr made sure before surgery that this was noted & an acceptable pain med identified well in advance. Be sure to also tell the antastegiologist about other meds & any concerns (ir: migraines) so they can work through any potential issues. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe View Post
Since you haven't mentioned which antidepressant you are taking, and you probably do not know yet which pain medications your DR is planning to have you use, both in the hospital and at home, the best thing would be to ask your DR what the plan is for helping you get through this. There are interactions between *some* antidepressants and *some* pain meds, but not all.

s,
-Linda
Linda, I take Zoloft and Wellbutrin for anxiety ( and a small amount of klonopin) daily
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Make sure your DR and the anesthesiologist are aware of what you're taking... Klonopin (clonazepam) in particular has a lot of interactions with other meds. It may affect the anesthesiologist's plan as well as your DR's plan for pain management after surgery.

s,
-Linda
Unread 12-04-2011, 04:02 PM

I also take welbutrin and Zoloft and its noted in my drs chart and the preop nurse wrote it down, so I am sure it's fine to take those two as for the clonazapam did they ask for all yor meds at preop?
Unread 12-04-2011, 06:00 PM

Misty,
My preop aptm is tomorrow. I will, of course, go over all of my meds with my dr. So....you take Zoloft and Wellbutrin - did you have your hysterectomy already? Thanks for getting back to me! I tend to over-analyze and worry way too much! I guess that's why I take Zoloft and Wellbutrin- LOL!!!
Unread 12-04-2011, 08:22 PM

Lol me too! No I haven't had my surgery yet, I go on the 8th. I feel kind of rushed, I have known since last spring but just got a call a few days they had a cancelation. Now my anxiety is kicking in lol.
Unread 12-04-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankegram View Post
Misty,
I tend to over-analyze and worry way too much! I guess that's why I take Zoloft and Wellbutrin- LOL!!!
this is me to a T which is why I take prozac and xanax for panic attacks as well as topamax for cronic migraines. I had laproscopic knee surgery in May and tolerated the anesthesia and pain meds well after and was off them 3 days post op. I know that you will do well. Make sure that you not only discuss you meds with the nurses and your doctor but the anesthesialogist. It seems like repetion but it is in your best interest.
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynne3001 View Post
this is me to a T which is why I take prozac and xanax for panic attacks as well as topamax for cronic migraines. I had laproscopic knee surgery in May and tolerated the anesthesia and pain meds well after and was off them 3 days post op. I know that you will do well. Make sure that you not only discuss you meds with the nurses and your doctor but the anesthesialogist. It seems like repetion but it is in your best interest.
I just had knee surgery in August. I was awake during mine though, I am glad I will be out for this surgery

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register