hormones and depression | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hormones and depression hormones and depression

Unread 07-24-2007, 12:47 AM
hormones and depression

Hi ladies~
the last 4 days have been almost been the most miserable of my life. I have been so depressed. I have never been this down before, and I don't know why. I literally just want to crawl into a hole and never come out. I have lost all of the fight I ever had in me. My husband can't stand to be around me anymore, I think he wants to leave me. I was crying at the drop of a hat, and now I just can't seem to dig up any emotion except despair. As much as I try to be happy, nothing works. I know it sounds pathetic, I really, really have tried to snap myself out of it.
To make things worse, I called my dr's office today, and she had her nurse call me back to talk to me. I explained everything to her, I asked her if it could be my ovaries in shock from the surgery and she said a very firm "no, I've never heard of such a thing as ovaries being in shock. We left them in, so you should be fine, you're probably just pms-ing" and when I told her the pain is better than the first week but still bad enough that I am taking 2 or 3 norco's per day along with motrin and sometimes even more tylenol she practically scoffed at me and told me I should not need anything more than the motrin, and I should be completely off painkillers by now. She asked me accusingly "didn't you JUST get a refill a week ago?" She was quite rude, not taking anything I said seriously, and now I just feel even worse.
When will my old self come back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2007, 01:05 AM
hormones and depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by msneedafootrub
When will my old self come back?
A minimum of 6 weeks is the usual stated recovery period from a major surgery like a hysterectomy. I learned from my family physician that this is just the "initial" recovery period and that "feeling like your former self" can take much longer.

Try to hang in there. The feelings you describe sound like "par for the course" to me and if you are like the rest of us you will start feeling better with each passing week.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 07-24-2007, 01:27 AM
hormones and depression

First of all, the nurse's response to you I believe is incorrect. The nurse at my GYN told me that it can take awhile for the ovaries to return to normal function. She also said that with some, just sugery itself can cause the blues.

I kept my ovaries too but at the 4th week, I felt the blues creeping up on me. By week 5 they were taking over and I just couldn't stand that feeling. I called my GYN and he put me on Premarin 0.625 for a month. Within a couple of days, I was feeling better. I could fall asleep and stay asleep and my energy level increased dramatically. But week 6 I started feeling that the blues were once again creeping up on me.

I called my GP. She explained to me that some woman absorb the pill form of estrogen better than others. She gave me a shot of estrogen/B12 and once again I am feeling better.

I thought that by keeping my ovaries, I could avoid any HRT. But I guess I need a little help until my ovaries are themselves again.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Maybe call your GP and discuss what is going on. Maybe you need a little help too until things even out. I hope that you start feeling better soon. You are not alone. Hang in there. This is tough. Hugs to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2007, 04:20 AM
hormones and depression

That nurse is WRONG. Your ovaries as well as your entire body go into shock post-op. What a crock! That makes me mad that she was so rude to you and that she spoke to you like that. I went through miserable blues about 2 months post-op, called my primary care doc (I skipped my surgeon because she's so busy and one of her nurses treats me similar to the way you were treated), cried on the phone and was given a same-day appointment. He put me on an anti-depressant (Lexapro) and it not only helped me (I felt better after four days!) it has also dramatically helped my hot flashes. Good luck and don't give up!
Unread 07-24-2007, 06:25 AM
hormones and depression

Maybe there is more to this then just the surgery. I don't mean any disrespect but maybe find a therapist that you can talk to. I found having a sounding board to go to who is not personally involved is a great way to sort out my feelings.

I hope you find some relief soon! (hugs)
Unread 07-24-2007, 06:49 AM
hormones and depression

I agree the nurse is wrong..and take to mind, that just because a person is working and answering calls for the Dr. does NOT mean they are a nurse...there are a lot of people working in the office who are not yet they answer the calls for the Dr.s and give their own advice...I have had to get around more then one of those more then one time....to get what I needed for the boys or myself..
I call them guard dogs...they take it upon themselves to guard the Dr. from what they consider *silly* calls...drives me wild...
That is why with the boys I only deal with the Dr.'s who do callbacks themselves, or actual nurses I have sniffed out in the offices..in some cases I will only talk to the surgery nurse...
But keep in mind that pain pills alone can cause a round robin effect on depression...I have now been on the narcotic nite train since May 15th, I had been off my pain meds about a week when the accident happened..sooooooo....yes, they are giving me the blues, along with the extra pain, not only still hurting at times from the surgery, but now the fracture..sigh..I know more then once I have had to pull myself up from some serious depths of the blues, I am already on welbutrin which has helped me..
Otherwise I think I would be somewhere they only feed you with plastic spoons..lol..
I still can do very very little..still no lifting etc...it has killed me this summer..I have NOT lifted Michael since May 14th I know the kid thinks I hate him...

jaboomer aka lori
Unread 07-24-2007, 06:59 AM
hormones and depression

i'd call the dr's office back today and ask for a phone call back from the dr. she needs to find the time to speak to her patients personally.
Unread 07-24-2007, 08:14 AM
hormones and depression

I think the blues are very normal after a major surgery, and it hurts to be brushed off by an unfeeling medical "professional" who needs a course in compassion. You have been through a major physical upheaval. This is no minor thing!! and it might help to speak with an impartial third party; I do and it helps to have that sounding board. It will take some time to feel better and your "old self" may just stay in the past and you will develop a new and better self. hang in there and trust the women here to get the support and compassion you need right now. I am sending BIG Hugs your way!!

Love, Ruthie
Unread 07-24-2007, 10:08 AM
hormones and depression

I had horrible mood swings after my surgery also. After 8 weeks of it, I went to my Dr. She put me on the lowest dosage estrogen patch for 6 weeks. She stated that sometimes our ovaries and the estrogen receptors need a jump start. I can tell you that it was the best decision I could have made. I feel 100% better and even my friend and family are commenting on my mood improvement. I am hoping, and she was confident, that this would only be temporary. I also have a therapist that is my sounding board, but she couldn't fix the hormone imbalance! Good luck and sending you
Unread 07-24-2007, 11:07 AM
hormones and depression

My surgery was the day before yours and I am feeling the exact same way. I have no idea how I am going to face the world. I just want to hide. I havent been able to sleep more than an hour at a time since surgery. And even though I cant sleep I never felt like crawling out of bed until 11:30 am today. I asked my DH when he called if I could just pull the covers over my head and stay in bed.

I think your dr. office is full of baloney. Everything you read talks about ovaries going into shock. I think they get that I did my part you should be fine attitude. It couldnt possibly be from the surgery. Well read all of the posts on this site. Nobody can tell me its not true. So many sisters talk about being put on premarin and feeling so much better so there has to be truth to it. And you cant tell me your the first one to call your dr. and complain about this. Read the thread "Kept ovaries and still extremely moody" There are tons of post about exactly all of this.

I would just make an appointment with your dr. Tell them you want to be seen. I have my 4wk on Thursday and I know they are just going to say everything is great see ya.
I have been taking a tylenol#3 at night when I have alot of pain and I have 1 left and I know they wont refill it - so Im also scared about that.

I am so sorry you are feeling this way, and then got such a nasty reply. Just know you are not alone and have many sisters here to support you. I hope you feel better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register