8/13 surgery. First post since home 8/16. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

8/13 surgery. First post since home 8/16. 8/13 surgery. First post since home 8/16.

Unread 08-21-2001, 08:39 PM
8/13 surgery. First post since home 8/16.

Hi all. I had my TAH on 8/13, and came home on the 16th. I feel wonderful. Very little pain.
My doctor put me off work the week prior to the surgery, just so I could try to relax and grieve the upcoming loss of my uterus. It may sound strange, but it actually helped. By the time the 13th came around, I was feeling pretty good mentally and at peace with my decision.
The day before the surgery, I spent baking for the hospital staff. I figured, if they are going to be taking good care of me, I should try to do what I can to take care of them. I baked for each group that would be taking care of me. From surgical, recovery, to all the nurses.
When I got there, I did have some requests for the people at hospital. I had talked to my doctor before to make sure that I would not be put on the maternity floor if possible. I reminded them of that, and was put on the surgical floor. I also asked that it be put on my chart that I do not want anyone making comments to me about how young I am. Trust me, I know my age (30) and don't need to be reminded of it.
The surgery went really well. Lots of endo, fibroids, cysts, and everything else they had expected. Though I did learn the hard way about pain medication. When in recovery, they gave me a shot for pain. Well, due to the 6 Vicodin a day, I had built up a tolerence so the shot did nothing. They gave me something else and I drifted off to sleep pain-free.
I feel so much better. Now that my body isn't spending so much time trying to fight off all the disease, I have so much energy! I feel wonderful!! I am resting and resting and resting. I am someone that is very fast paced and is always doing something, well right now I am taking it easy and just letting my body heal. Everyone says that the wait is the worst part and they are right. It's only natural to be scared and have anxiety about what is going to happen. It's major surgery.
I have made a list of the things that I am going to do when I heal. Now that I don't have to worry about being in constant pain, I have so many things that I am looking forward to doing.
Good luck to everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2001, 09:07 PM
you sound soooo positive !

Your post is great to read ! You so carefully planned your stay to meet your personal needs and I think that is perfect. I have definately heard stories that are not only sad but downright rude.

Now my requests would have been totally selfish - not wanting to share a room with anyone who was whining, or didn't like sports on tv : ) I got very lucky and drew a private room - I hope I don't have to pay for the upgrade : )

I had to shut the door one night because a lady was moved in after a late day surgery, she was not sounding happy, and then her dh (? ) insisted that the nursing staff get her dinner. Well, within an hour, she was re-depositing that food elsewhere . . . . poor lady, needing a sleeping pill not a dinner plate !

Anyways - it is great to hear you sounding so wonderful ! I also am anxious to get back to the action. I am trying real hard to sit still and work on projects that are within reach. It's just not very exciting.

I wish you the best during your recovery and then loads of fun when you are ready to start your "to do" list !

take care . . .
Unread 08-22-2001, 05:34 AM

Tina

I am so happy that you are home and doing well. It sounds like you really had everything planned for your surgery. That is a really good idea especially as you had some specific requests.

Take Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2001, 06:03 AM
get well wishes

Hi Tina! I am glad to hear you are doing so well! Boy, you sure are a smart lady and sounds like you are quite organized as well. I bet you're like my mom and sister. They always get a lot done in a short amount of time. You must have a "sweetie" of a doctor to recommend taking off work the week before. Be thankful! Continue to do what you are doing now(RESTING) and before long, you'll be well and ready to go! Prayers and Hugs!

Melanie
TAH/BSO June 25th, 2001 Uterine Fibroids and diseased ovaries
Unread 08-22-2001, 06:36 AM

Welcome home Tina. Sounds like your surgery went smooth. REST, REST, REST - drink LOTS and LOTS of water and juice and stay away from carbonated drinks and gasy foods for awhile

See you on the post op board.
Unread 08-22-2001, 05:26 PM
One More Thing

I forgot... yes I did ask for a private room and got it. I read the many stories about the gas, that I did not want to share that with a roommate and anyone that might be visiting. I felt that I would be more at ease dealing with any personal things that might happen to me, if I did not have an audience. Like so many of you, I have been through hell with all of this, that I just wanted to start my healing off on the right foot. I did not have to deal with anyone snoring, or complaining, could watch what I wanted, when I wanted and didn't have to deal with their friends and family. I was there to rest and heal and didn't want any distractions. I also asked my friends and family not to visit me for the first day and that on the second day, please make their visit short. I have been looking forward to being pain free for so long that I just want to take care of myself and rest. Everyone understood. It was not me being *****y or thankless for their caring and support, it was me taking care of myself and doing what I need to do to make myself better.
Now everyone that is about to have surgery, please try to remember the positive. I was a basket case too before my surgery, but I kept thinking how much better I will feel after. Like so many of you, life has not been fun with all the pain. Yesterday, I went outside to just sit and rest and I realized how absolutely beautiful the sky was. It was so blue, no clouds and no smog (Silicon Valley). The trees were an amazing green. Everything looked so bright and beautiful. I finally was able to notice how spectacular things are. I have been in so much pain and on so many pain killer's that everything had been clouded.
Everything in my healing has not been perfect. My incision started bleeding last night and had to go in today and have it carterized. But guess what? I am still pain free. I am alive. Life is good.
Good luck to everyone and you will all be in my prayers!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register