really nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

really nervous really nervous

Unread 10-21-2001, 08:26 PM
really nervous

I need some encouragement and support. I am scheduled for a total hysterectomy on Nov 8. The DR says he can do a vaginal. Save my ovaries hopefully, He said he will know more when he looks. No one I know has had a hysterectomy so I have no feed back coming in. I have been miserable for about 2 years now. My regular DR put me back on the pill last year which did nothing. Then I had my physical 3 months ago, and I told him I was done. He sent me to a OB/GYN who did a D&C and a hysteroscopy. That did nothing. I had my next period and the bleeding was so bad that I had to miss 2 days of work. They also said I have IBS which I think might be from the large fibroids that he couldn't get with my surgery. I don't have any concerns about losing my uterus. I have 4 kids so that is not an issue. What can I expect for recovery? The sugery? How awful is it? Whats the pain like. I'm really scared about being put under. HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2001, 08:49 PM
really nervous

Hi, Supervalu!

You sound so much like me...that it could have been me writing!

Fears of surgery/anesthesia...OF COURSE you have fears! Who wouldn't? I think even those who have had many surgeries, still fear them! But if you are like me, and have had none (well...a c-section...but it was an emergency situation and I was not put under anesthetic!) then you are going to fear "the unknown!" All I can say to reassure you, is that the anesthetic gave me no problems and the surgery itself was such a positive experience that I am now having another surgery that I (pre-op) was NOT gonna have! (See post "This is totally un-hyster!")

The recuperation period is different for everyone...with some common generalizations and going ons. I had a TAH...so I can not speak from a vaginal aspect...but I think generally speaking...it is supposed to be easier. You may experience some moodiness, gas, bloating, mild to moderate pains, and general tiredness from the medicines for pain. This is the basic and most common. I personally aced my recuperation...having some major gas one time, some severe pain for one or two days (Meds always eased it.) and some weight gain which has been a little more difficult than normal to shed. I also am now dealing with insomnia...but again...have meds to take care of that.

We sound very similar in our medical histories! I also have four children, like you! I was placed in BCP therapy too...and it did nothing but make me bleed non-stop! My hysterectomy has been the best choice I have made for myself...and I am so pleased to be pain, period, and cancer free! I also had no qualms about losing my uterus or the rest of it...well...wanted to keep my ovaries for the natural hormones...but felt no sense of loss, really. BTW...the hospital will give you something pre-op, to relax you ...as if that does any good NOW! Just try not to overdose on reading the post-op posts...they will only scare you!

Hugs
Kat
Unread 10-21-2001, 08:52 PM
really nervous

I just had a TVH two and half weks ago, and let me tell ou it was so much easier than I ever expected it to be! The worst pain was when I first woke up in recovery, but once the pain meds were given my pain was never worse than a bad period. I had some slight cramping when I started moving around to much, but listen to your body and lye down to rest when you start to feel achy and all goes well! I am off pain meds now and starting to slowly increase my activies, i am going slow and making sure I take things bit by bit and I have been doing very well! I am now starting to help with laundry and making meals and light little things around the house. I took 8 weeks off of work just because I wanted to give my body the best possible chance to heal as like you I have been in constant pain for 2 years before the surgery. The constant hip pain, achy belly and heaviness was gone as soon as I awoke from surgery. The waiting trully is the hardest part! Stick around here and research for preparing for surgery and you will do great! Good Luck!~Carebear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2001, 09:41 PM
Supervalu

Mate I so so feel for you. All here are right, the waiting is the worst by far. I had a lavh 5 weeks ago today. I also had a two hour bladder repair. The Hyst itself went well, I can honestly say that I can not remember any pain after surgery. Morphine is good stuff but only had that one shot as I was coming out of theatre cause then the nausea kicked in but I didn't spew. Only thing that was uncomfortable was the backache the next day and on and off for the first couple of weeks. The nurse said that that was normal as if you saw the position that you are in you wouldn't wonder why it was sore. Other than that, the Hyst itself has caused me NO problems at all. Vaginal I would say has an advantage of not having a buig cut accross your stomach, but remember you still have heaps and heaps of internal stitches and my surgeon says that the recovery is still a good six to eight weeks. The very best to you, keep us informed on how you go. Love and hugs
Vicki xx
Unread 10-22-2001, 04:29 AM
really nervous

Hi. My doctor was going to do a TAH but a few days before the surgery called me and said in reviewing my chart she'd like to try a TVH.

I had my TVH last Friday, and I know everyone's experience is different, but mine was a PIECE OF CAKE!

My anxiety going in was far worse than the event. I feel so blessed for this.

I had the surgery at 7:30am Fri. and was home on absolutely no pain meds (not even tylenol) by 11:30 am Sat. Like I said, everyone is different and I was very fortunate.

My theory is, I was in such agony every month, the surgery could not match the pain I had while I had my uterus.

hugs
doreen
Unread 10-22-2001, 05:35 AM
Two Words!!!

Spinal Morphine! Ask your about a spinal morphine shot. My Doc swears by them and me I do too. I had gallbladder surgery years ago and it was very painful when I woke. this surgery was a breeze. I had a TAH/BSO and the put the spinal morphine in before I went to the recovery room. I had a little trouble breathing, but I have asthma and my anthest. said that was the reason I was ok the anthest. had to stay with me for about 20 minutes and I had oxygen for a couple of days. But I had almost no pain. I had no pain at all from the surgery it was if I moved a certain way the cath would hurt and I had to have it for 24 hours. But for the first 24 hours I had no pain from the surgery. After I used pain pills to ease the pain and it was never really bad (except for the one night of gas and that was a trip). God Bless and God will send s to help along the way.
Unread 10-22-2001, 06:27 AM
really nervous

All:
Thank You all for you info and support. Your right the waiting is awful. I just want it over. When I look back this whole thing came on so suddenly. And the DR's. never really responded to my concerns. Do most people have bladder repair also? It seems like I have a constant path to the potty. I asked the DR. about it and he gave me bladder medication, which I did not take. I have had way too much medication in the last couple of months. The first time I went to see him he said he was going to do a hysterectomy, bladder repair and vaginal "tuck". Then the story changed to just the hysterectomy. I'm a little skeptical about the change in plans. I want it totally over and no return surgeries. How long before you can drive? I will keep you all posted as I hope you all will do the same. Any info is greatly welcome. Take care.
Unread 10-22-2001, 06:38 AM
really nervous

Question your doctor about those change in plans. Keep asking until your doctor answers.

As for driving, my doc said I could drive as soon as I was off the percocet, but that turns out to be untrue. Seeing as I was off the percocet before I left the castle, I certainly would not drive yet. I think I'll drive after the fatigue leaves.
Unread 10-22-2001, 07:08 AM
really nervous

I wasn't allowed to drive until the doc saw me for my 2 week post-op check up. I really didn't have a need or the stamina to drive anyhow so it wasn't a big deal. ~Carebear
Unread 10-22-2001, 08:16 AM
Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Hello!

I wanted to tell you how easy I found my hyst. I had TAH/BSO and endoetriosis removed, on 14th August 2001. 24 hour later, I was sitting up eating a 3 course turkey dinner and laughing my head off. I was NEVER sick, I had very little discomfort, even less pain. Yes, I was tired, stiff and achy - like after strenuous exercise - you know when you ache for a couple of days after? I had a morphine PCA (patient controlled analgesia)so if I did feel anything, I could stop it before it became painful. That's how it was for me. I did as I was told and rested, boring though it was and in no time I was feeling like a million dollars! I lost weight, gained confidence and feel FANTASTIC! I'm 10 weeks post tomorrow and have not looked back. I'm still not back at work, as don't see my gyn for follow up for another couple of weeks, but I'm confident he'll be pleased with my progress.

All you know of the operation is this.....you fall asleep surrounded by caring people, all looking out for you, and wake up when it's all over. I've had 6 surgeries with general anaesthetic and so am speaking from experience here. I know it's easy for others to tell you not to worry, but they are so right! Just relax and let those wonderful nurses do their stuff!

Wishing you a safe and speedy recovery

Julie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register