Metamucil or Not | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Metamucil or Not Metamucil or Not

Unread 05-22-2002, 05:03 PM
Metamucil or Not

Hi Ladies,

My surgery is at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow.

Tonight, I tried to stick to a light meal of soup and yogurt. (No pre-op diet or bowel prep ordered by doc, thank goodness. I'm just trying to be sensible.)

I'm wondering though if I should take a dose of Metamucil or a stool softner tonight? You know, try to keep ahead of the game, so to speak. (I do have bouts of constipation.) I don't want to end up with the plumbing stopped up, but on the other hand, I'd hate to get on the operating table and have to "run." (No pun intended!)

Any thoughts on the subject?

Thanks,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2002, 05:18 PM
Metamucil or Not

I asked if I use a glycerine suppository (no drugs safe enough for infants) the night before. It worked right away and took my fears away. You really should discuss with your dr. what you should do to prevent this. I had taken fiber tabs starting two days before surgery and the day before I was not stopped up because having to take the tabs the day before. I don't think Metamucil would be a good idea as it tends to cause gas but check with your dr.
Unread 05-22-2002, 05:28 PM
Hi Lisa

I totally agree no metamucil, it does tend to give gas and you don't want to be still cleaning in the AM. Use the glycerin suppository it will do the trick and it will be fine no matter when you use it. Since it acts in about 15 minutes or so it will be better. I took milk of Mag but it was two nights before the night before nothing but an enema the one in the weird thingy. Anyway that was with DR's orders don't use it if your DR didn't order it but I think the suppository will be fine. It isn't a through the body med. God's Blessings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2002, 05:32 PM
Prune Juice Then

How about some prune juice then? Would that be better? I'm not so concerned about immediate results, since I've been pretty regular for quite awhile. Just in keeping up with the regularity after surgery tomorrow.
Unread 05-22-2002, 06:55 PM
Metamucil or Not

As long as you don't drink lots of it and you stop all intake when your pre op instructions specified, the prune juice should be ok.

BUT, depending on what type of surgery and anesthesia you are going to have, drinking prune juice today isn't going to have any effect on what happens in a couple of days.

The anesthesia essentially shuts your body down (including the intestines) and it takes a few days to get things working again. That's one of the reasons they want you to pass gas before you are allowed solid food, they want to be sure they are working. They may also listen with a stethoscope for intestinal sounds.

After surgery they may give you stool softeners (I got them twice a day, but every hospital is different). Drink lots of water after surgery, it gets things going. Ask for prune juice in the hospital if you need it, and have some on hand when you get home.

Best wishes tomorrow

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register