Thursday is the Day one small ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thursday is the Day one small ? Thursday is the Day one small ?

Unread 12-18-2001, 02:46 PM
Thursday is the Day one small ?

Hello,

My doctor told me that I do not have to have an enema pre-op.Then she gave me a paper to sign that said it is possible for the bowel to be punctured during surgery.I'm wandering if it would be safer to go ahead and just do it on my own or not worry about it. Also, should I start a soft diet now. I'm thinking it might help with constipation after surgery. I do not know why I'm all worried again. I was fine for the last few days. I suppose that the pre-op trip to the hospital today made it all seem real.

Thank you so much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2001, 02:56 PM
Hello Sista

I am 12-20 also. My doctor didn't order any bowel prep either. I'm gonna take a stool softner tonight and try to eat light tommorow.
It can't hurt to give nature a hand.Wish you the best I'll be thinking about you Thursday.
God Bless
Sue
Unread 12-18-2001, 03:28 PM

I had to do "GoLytely" (blecch) before my pre-hyst lap, and asked my doctor for another prescription (although he did not require it) before my TAH. I figured if there were a problem, it would be easier to fix & recover from. I also thought maybe it would help with the gas pains. I still had gas pains - no telling if they were better, worse, or the same though.

Maybe ask your doctor. She may be able to tell you if there is a slight advantage to doing some kind of prep, or if you're just as well off to not bother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2001, 03:53 PM
no prep, no worries

I had no prep with any of my surgeries, ate regular meals up through the day before surgery. I've never had a problem with BMs afterwards or excessive gas.

Try not too worry too much. There are risks with everything, and when all is said and done with signing papers for the hospital, doctor, and anesthesiologist, all those maybe's are listed and you've signed saying you understand them and are still gonna let em operate on you.

The pre-op appointment makes everything seem so very real suddenly.

Good luck, enjoy your last few days mobile and if it's includes a nice dinner, so be it ... cause beef broth, purple jello and an orange popsicle are all kinda nasty when sitting on your plate and the popsicle has melted.

BSQ
Unread 12-18-2001, 03:53 PM
Bowel prep?

Gretchen, I too did not have to do any bowel prep. I suppose a stool softener and light diet would NOT hurt. I could eat up until midnite the night before surgery (surgery was at 7:30am) so apparently my was confident of his skills or didn't care!! I was not hungry for anything really 'heavy' the day before whether it was due to nerves or the thought of an accidental 'puncture'. I made sure I got up for the hospital in plenty of time since I am a 'morning movement' type of person. LOL Also I figured I'd be getting plenty of sleep after (more or less true LOL). Good luck to you. Your doctor knows what is best. If you are confused, call your doc again or the surgical nurses on the floor you'll be on. They can help.

Good luck to you!!!
Unread 12-18-2001, 04:43 PM

My advice would be that if your DR didn't prescribe bowl prep, do not do it. I have heard of surgeries be cancelled because of not following directions.

I was scheduled for LAVH/BSO that was converted to TAH/BSO, and my only instructions were nothing to eat or drink after midnight the day before surgery. The admit nurse asked if I had a bowel movement that day (I had) and nothing more was done. Everything went just fine for me.
Unread 12-18-2001, 07:18 PM

Call your doctor to discuss the risks of bowel perforation if you're worried about it. If you would feel safer doing some kind of bowel preparation, please, please, please DISCUSS IT WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST. It is not safe to do something different from the doctor's instructions and they may have reasons for doing things the way they do.

Good luck with your surgery! It's normal to be worried about all kinds of things as your surgery date gets closer. I was a total basket case.
Unread 12-18-2001, 07:27 PM

My doctor had me do a fleet enema the night before. It's very safe, and I think I'd mention it to the doctor. I ate lightly the day before so I wouldn't be nauseous or have ANY chance of anything not agreeing with me before surgery. I would recommend that to anyone, but I have a delicate stomach, so others may not have the problems I do.

I had my surgery a week ago Monday. I ate nothing that day, but was HUNGRY the next day. They kept me on clear liquids, then soft foods. By 36 hours after surgery, I was starving so I raided the snack area and ate some bran flakes with milk. I then went on to eat everything! I think it helps bring back regular bowel movements.

The hydrocodone (loritab) constipated me, so when I went home I gave myself the other fleet enema (it came in a two pack). I also started the stool softener. I RECOMMEND STOOL SOFTENER--just the plain stuff--no added laxative.

It has all worked well and I hope you feel as great as I do!
Unread 12-18-2001, 07:56 PM
Funny you should bring up bowel prep

Hi Gretch
I had to chuckle as I read your post because I am going in tommorrow and had clear liquids today also I have to do two enemas 1/2 to 1hr. apart. I am having a rectocele and bladder repair and that might be part of it. My dr. felt it was easier on your gas and stomache after surgery. She said that the golightley drink stuff is awful and she would not do that to me. It really is best to talk to your dr. He may or may not object to some additional preparation. (maybe he's just really nice) well I would like to chat but I gotta go (If you know what I mean) lot's of love and I will say a prayer for you. I will tell you I was way more a wreck two days before my surgery than today. I did start my day with reading my Bible. blessings Jacqui
Unread 12-18-2001, 08:04 PM

Hi,

I also did not have to do a bowel prep, and signed papers for the surgery of what could go wrong. That is normal the paper signing. The bowl prep is up to the doctor. The doctor and nurse at the post op told me that I just could not eat or drink after a certain time. I had no problems at all.

Kelly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register