New Here ... questions and concerns! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New Here ...  questions and concerns! New Here ... questions and concerns!

Unread 12-17-2004, 05:00 AM
New Here ... questions and concerns!

Hiya Everybody!

I'm sooooo glad to have been able to post! I was trying for days and couldn't get through!

I NEED so much to talk to you guys, to lean on you ... for advice, opinions, support!

I'm 52 years old, separated from husband, not much support system, have had fibroids for years, doctors have suggested hysterectomy long ago, I put it off. I've been bleeding pretty heavy off and on for many years, but recently have skipped a month here and there, and having HEAVIER bleeding with pain, where before I had no pain.

I've become anemic ... and now have to do something! Actually, I WANT to do something too. I'm just sooo unsure of what way to go!

I just recently found a new GYN doc ... and she highly suggested the Novasure ablation route first. She's saying that why should I go through major surgery, when I might get results with the ablation.

I've checked that out pretty good, and have found a forum of women who've had it done ... seems like it CAN work, but it doesn't always work. I'm so confused, because if it doesn't I'll end up needing surgery anyway and will have put myself through a procedure and perhaps weakened myself for nothing.

I also am VERY concerned about the fact that I have Lupus, CFS, and Fibromyalgia. I don't think these things will affect me as far as surgery goes, but I do know that with any LITTLE procedure I have had in the past ... I go into a flare and get sick for a few days. I'm pretty worried about how much more surgery could affect me!

My husband isn't at all a help in this area. We do still see each other, but he's just NOT comforting, empathetic or supportive. I have 3 sisters, but not close to 1 and another has told me she can't talk of anything negative with me for awhile, since she's going through so much herself, and the 3'rd one is under way too much stress for me to even attempt to lean on.

Soooo, that pretty much leaves me alone! I have no friends right now... long story.

I have read allot on this surgery ... I've been reading posts here everyday. I'm praying about the decision, but I know I have to do something soon! I'm due for another period on Jan. 3'rd, and dont' look forward to losing anymore blood! I really can't afford to!

Soooo, I guess I'm asking if anybody has had any experience with the Novasure ablation being offered as an alternative? What made you decide on surgery instead? Or even if you weren't offered it, what do you think about my situation?

By the way, I saw a new GYNO for a second opinion yesterday, and she did an exam and thought that the ablation would NOT work for me, since my uterus is 3 month pregnancy size and I have several fibroids. The largest one is 3cm I think. I have them inside, outside and in lining of uterus.

I've had lots of pain in my right side for the last 2 periods, and this last one was really BAD! The pain was for most of the period, starting on the 2'nd day ... and went down my leg some.
If there WAS a cyst, it either shrunk or went away ... but if I DID decide on surgery, I've discussed leaving at least one ovary, so I don't go through menopause.

That's another concern I have .. I know I'm 52 and it might only be a matter of a year of a few years until I go into meno naturally, so 1 doctor is suggesting taking both ovaries, but I'd rather not if possible. The 2'nd doctor did say she would leave one in if I wanted to, both if she could. She also does the newest procedure through the laproscopy way, but takes everything out through the holes, not the vagina. She usually leaves the cervix unless there's a reason to remove it.

I'm very concerned about that because my sister had that done and she bled ALLOT! They cut it into pieces and the surgery takes longer and more change of bleeding, given that I'm so anemic, this procedure scares me.

They also spoke of giving me the Lupron shot to shrink things before surgery ... but from what I've read on that drug, I do NOT want to take it if I don't have to! Again, with all my health problems, I'm concerned it will affect me even worse than most.

UGH! So many concerns and questions!

I'd really appreciate you guys throwing out all you can think of to help me make this decision. I just want to stop bleeding!

Hugs & Love,
Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2004, 08:14 AM

I went in for a Novasure ablation and came out with a hysterectomy.

The plan was for my gyn to take a look with a scope and see if the interior of my uterus (and fibroids) would allow for sufficient contact of the Novasure "net" and, if she determined it wouldn't work, to go ahead with the hysterectomy.

She said that my uterus was just too irregularly shaped due to the fibroids and that the ablation would not have successfully reduced my hemorrhaging periods.

I was 45, just at the traditional borderline age for removing ovaries during hyst as a matter of course. One had to go for sure due to a large dermoid cyst but I opted to keep the other ovary. I feel no hormonal effects with just the one doing the job. Of course, the other was so subsumed by the cyst it might not have been doing much anyway.

I don't know if that helps, but that was my Novasure experience.

Best of luck to you as you make this decision.
Unread 12-17-2004, 10:05 AM

Hi there,

Thank you for responding.

Yes, you see ... the newest gyno (2'nd opinion) did say that she thought my uterus was too large and I had too many fibroids for the ablation to work. So I guess I need to start thinking more toward the surgery ... all though I wish I'd just go into menopause NOW so I wouldn't have to do that either! LOL!!

Also, I've been having pain on my right side for the last 2 periods and this last one was really BAD ... so if one of them need to come out, that would be easier with the hyster .. I would think.

Thanks for the suggestions and information. :-)

Hugs,
Dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2004, 12:14 PM

Hi Dee,

Sounds like you are doing your research. That was a really good idea to get two opinions. I did that also.

My 1st Dr. wanted to do a TAH due to the size of my fibroids and my 2nd Dr. said I was a candidate for a LSH, after I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids enough for surgery. With lupron, it does cause temporary chemical menopause. For (3) months, I had hot flashes and night sweats and I lost interest in sex. My side effects stopped right before my surgery and I have had none since. My ovaries are also working great!! Not "mussy" as I read on another forum of yours. I have never heard of that side effect.

My fibroids did shrink enough for a LSH. I wanted to have a less invasive hyst, like a LSH, if I was a candidate. I had my LSH at an outpatient facility and I got a greenlight for all activities at 6 weeks. I also liked the idea of keeping my cervix. My Dr. said the cervix helps with pelvic support and with sex. I had a 46 yr. old bladder and I had had a child vaginally and then I added fibroid pressure. I had terrible incontinence in pre-op. Now, 8 months into post-op, my bladder works great. So keeping my cervix has helped me also.

Just go with your own feeling about what works for you. Lupron, even with its side effects, worked for me. However, some ladies prefer not to do it. You make the choices that are right for you.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 12-17-2004, 02:16 PM

Dee 52:
I am also 52 and had my health normal ovaries removed in Sept. I would not do it again for anything. My periods had stopped in Jan. My Gyn told me I was done with them. Surprise, I have been thrown into hormone hell. Heart pounding in my chest, anxiety, depression, etc. Not at all happy about the decision. I was not on hormones prior to the surgery. I am now searching for the right dose. In addition I am on Testostone now for a complete and total loss of my sense of wellness.

My current doctor tells me that my symptoms are common in women our age. When ovaries are removed from women well past the menopause (in her 60s) the event is less noticible.
You must read this article before discussing removing your ovaries with your doctor:Rational for Ovarian Conservation by Donna Shoupe MD

A really good book to read is Your Guide to Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal & Hormone Replacement by Elizabeth Plourde.

If I had seen either of these references before my surgery I know I would have refused it.

Elizabeth goes into detail on the risks of the surgery. You may want to check it out. Your current problem may be easier to live with than the results of the surgery. Also, when you do hit menopause your fibroids are going to shrink. You are at the end of the line here anyway.
Unread 12-18-2004, 07:16 AM

HI Dee to Hystersisters

I am glad you were finally able to post your question. I have not had the procedures done that you are talking about , so I can't offer much advice.

Quote:
That's another concern I have .. I know I'm 52 and it might only be a matter of a year of a few years until I go into meno naturally, so 1 doctor is suggesting taking both ovaries, but I'd rather not if possible.
I did want to comment on removing both ovaries. Unless there is a medical reason to remove them such as cancer or endometriosis, I feel it is best to keep them. Given your age, it might only be a matter of time until you do reach menopause naturally. It is much easier on the body to go through it naturally. You will still produce some hormones to help ease your menopause symptoms.

When the ovaries are removed you will instantly be thrown in to surgical menopause (producing no hormones) and will probably need to start some form of HRT, which is not always easy for alot of women to find a good combination that works for them.

We have some wonderful resources that you will find at the top of the page in the banner. Just click on resources and you can find information about the ablation procedure, lupron therapy, different types of surgeries and information on just about everything you are searching for.

Best wishes.
Unread 12-18-2004, 09:58 AM
middle aged and decisions

Hi, Isn't is great to get more information-you haven't done anything that you can't undo yet!

I was about 50 when I started having lots of problems with pain, pressure, difficult periods, but no menopause in sight.

I started with some alternatives, the first of which was just to wait and see if I would go into menopause naturally and those pesky fibroids would shrink.

After about a year they got big enough to press on my bladder causing me extreme potty problems=like couldn't even drive from one of my schools to another without wetting my pants-and they are only 14 miles apart.

Then my gyno consult had me try Lupron shots-one a month for six months. That did the trick and shrunk the fibroids and the uterus. I had absolutely NO side effects-no hot flashes, memory problems, etc. We were trying to buy time so that natural menopause would take over. By this time I was 53 and was hoping beyond hope that it would just go away. After the Lupron I had about six months with things going along great. But the fibroids grew again, and then all *** broke loose. My uterus prolapsed, my rectum prolapsed, and I was going to the bathroom about every 15 minutes all day and all night. My gyn is NOT a surgery freak-he said I could still wait for menopause, although I was by then at a greater risk of breast cancer every year after age 52 because of my family history. He said if it was him he would not have surgery for any reason unless he was dying-and he is a surgeon! But that he did not know the pain I was in, and the other types of surgery were not options for me because of prolapse, the placement and size of the fibroids-and he does all the surgeries.
I went for a second opinion and a third and they all said I could wait, but even if I went into menopause I would need a hyster because of the prolapse. I was told that prolaspe is caused by the lessening of hormones as we age, and my fibroids and my being heavy for a lot of years, although I lost a ton of weight before surgery. I also had cysts on my ovaries and had such pain for several months-my hubbie said I was walking like I had been shot in the hip. It was affecting my life-I was getting almost like an invalid and in constant pain.
So I opted for the whole shebang and went on HRT (estrogen only) that was started the day after surgery. I have not had any estrogen problems at all. I recently started on some testosterone cream to get the libido going. Things are actually working very well.

If you are not comfortable with what you have been told, go for a third, or fourth opinion. And yes, you can wait for menopause-they will shrink, but not all the way back to zero-all docs told me they would shrink about 1/3 to 2/3's so it depends on how big they are when you go into menopause to know how they will shrink.

This got pretty long-I feel for you-you have a lot of health problems. The article suggested above is very good-but also shows that those on HRT that were put into surgical menopause did pretty good too.
's
Unread 12-18-2004, 06:45 PM

I went in for Novasure ablation on 11/2 and awoke in recovery to be told the machine would not operate due to my enlarged uterus (about 13.5 cm at the time). I ended up with D&C hysteroscopy which uncovered fibroids. Since 11/2 my uterus is even larger. Dr. thinks my fibroids will just keep getting larger until menopause in about 8 years. I already had severe mennorhagia and two blood transfusions due to critical anemia in the last year. Dr. would still perform another method of ablation (microwave) which is recommended for large or unusually shaped uteri, but thinks its a foregone conclusion the fibroids will cause more discomfort (back pain), pressure, and bleeding/anemia. That's how we arrived at the decision to do a TAH.

Not sure what to advise you, just mainly wanted you to know that Novasure is not recommended for uteri larger than 12 cm.

Good luck to you.
Unread 12-19-2004, 08:30 PM

"Not sure what to advise you, just mainly wanted you to know that Novasure is not recommended for uteri larger than 12 cm."

Do you know how many centimeters a 3 month pregnancy sized uterus is?

Dee
Unread 12-19-2004, 09:14 PM

No, I'm sorry I don't know how to calculate that , or if you can directly convert the pregnancy size to the length in cms. I'm sure someone else on here can help answer your question. If you had an ultrasound the size should have been recorded and added to the report for your Dr. I'd recommend asking them to tell you. Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register