Vaginal Cuff prob with bleeding and smell | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Cuff prob with bleeding and smell Vaginal Cuff prob with bleeding and smell

Unread 02-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Vaginal Cuff prob with bleeding and smell

I am 1 1/2 weeks out from LAVH with cervix removed. I take a shower everyday and the discharge smells like no period i have ever had! It is bright red and not gushing out, just always there when i go to the bathroom. How did you ladies know you had a vaginal cuff infection or problem? Do you feel pain? or like something is coming out? My post op appt isn't until 3-17. Should i call the dr.? I already called the surgeon once about going back o work and menopause symptoms i was having. But no return call! Thanks gals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2006, 10:26 PM

If your discharge is bright red like blood, you need to get to your doctor ASAP. It shouldn't be bright red or period red. It should be an off color--gray-pink or brown-pink. Try to get to your doctor Thursday, please!

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 02-22-2006, 10:27 PM

If you have bright red blood with odor, it is best to call your dr, and let him/her make the call. When a dr doesn't call me back in a timely manner, I call again! A good dr usually is busy so I go with the "squeaky wheel gets the oil" philosophy! I do allow several hours, some drs only return calls at certain times. in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2006, 11:41 PM

I am week one and I still have a bloody discharge...its kind of a red-brown now and it's there everytime I go to the restroom. I do have an odor as well and I am also showering everyday. My doctor told me what to expect before I left the hospital. He said it would start bright red, turn to pink and then to brown and that I would have a slight odor, but if I bled heavily or had an extreme odor to call him. I go see him tomorrow for my first pre-op visit. I am not experiencing horrible pain, but I am still tender. I can't believe your first post op visit isn't until 3/17...that seems so far away. If you have concerns I would call the dr and see if you can get in sooner....to calm your nerves, if nothing else. Good luck.
Unread 02-23-2006, 05:52 AM
you need to see your doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sruendo
I am 1 1/2 weeks out from LAVH with cervix removed. I take a shower everyday and the discharge smells like no period i have ever had! It is bright red and not gushing out, just always there when i go to the bathroom. How did you ladies know you had a vaginal cuff infection or problem? Do you feel pain? or like something is coming out? My post op appt isn't until 3-17. Should i call the dr.? I already called the surgeon once about going back o work and menopause symptoms i was having. But no return call! Thanks gals
Sruendo
PLEASE call and see your doctor sooner!! I am also concerned that your other call has gone unanswered. I was having increased discharge when I urinated - but nothing bright red - maybe a little odor but not bad... then all of the sudden an increase in bright red blood and went to the ER - found out that I had a vaginal cuff tear. A tear, hematoma (pocket of blood behind the cuff), etc can all lead to infection and sometimes need repair so I do not feel that you should wait. Hopefully, it is all normal for you - I will certainly be thinking of you. Please let us know what happens.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register