Upcoming hysterectomy: Should I KEEP MY OVARIES? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Should I KEEP MY OVARIES? Upcoming hysterectomy: Should I KEEP MY OVARIES?

Unread 05-03-2014, 04:36 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Should I KEEP MY OVARIES?

Have received conflicting doctor recommendations regarding keeping my ovaries. I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy on 18 June because of C~ (sorry just can't say it out loud yet). Went to my oncologist who said that the uterus, cervix, Fallopian tubes and ovaries must come out. Had a follow up with my regular Gyn (they are teaming together for the operation) who said that I can make the choice to keep my ovaries.

He said that oncologists will always say take the ovaries but he thinks by keeping them I will protect my bone health but ... and never really clearly finished his thoughts.

Looking for pros - cons

Thanks so much just for listening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2014, 04:46 AM
Re: Should I KEEP MY OVARIES?

Can you get a consult with another GYN oncologist? If not, I would trust the opinion of your oncologist who deals with C everyday.

Best wishes!
Unread 05-03-2014, 04:51 AM

My sister-in-laws and are nurses both have had full hysterectomies and my niece is a doctor they recommend you get it all out. If there is ovarian cancer later there is no way of checking so this way it is all out. I had it all out. I am 61 have not had a period since I was 45 or a hot flash since I was 50 I am now experiencing hot flashes chills but this is to be expected due to the surgery. My own doctor also recommended getting it all out. I also had a bladder lift. I am not sure about your bone health you did not say your age. I feel your age is important if you were in your early 40 I would not get them out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2014, 07:42 AM

I have a friend that had ovarian cancer and is a nurse practitioner. She had conflicting advice on things between her gynecologist and oncologist regarding HRT after her hysterectomy. She had ovaries removed which she was conflicted about, but said afterward when the pathology came back showing cancer she was glad she had gone that route. She had chemo post surgery and missed very little work even going through that. Had some issues with the surgical menopause which she gave me her thoughts on, but overall has done very well. She is 51, but was a couple of years ago when she went through all of this. I guess my point was that different drs. have different opinions and we have to go with what our gut tells us. I have not had my surgery yet so I can't even give you any experience there, but it wish you the best with everything.
Unread 05-03-2014, 10:11 AM

I did not have C but my mom was diagnosed at 76 with ovarian C about 2 months before my surgery. I'm 56 and decided they should go. It seems like a lot if ladies have hysterectomy and then have to go back to have ovaries removed for one reason or another. I was not interested in any more gyn surgeries. I really hate surgery. It throws my entire body off kilter. I take vit D and calcium for my bones and see a cardiologist once a year.
Unread 05-03-2014, 03:58 PM

A lot is going to depend on the kind of C you have, you other conditions, etc. Gyn/oncs do have a tendency to say get rid of all of it just in case, but the "just in case" is fairly rare if you don't have a condition that makes it more likely that you will get OvCa. I agree that you should seek the opinion of another gyn and another gyn/onc. You want to be sure of your decision when you go in there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register