TAH Urologist appointment coming. Feeling stressed. What should I expect? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Urologist appointment coming. Feeling stressed. What should I expect? Urologist appointment coming. Feeling stressed. What should I expect?

Unread 02-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Urologist appointment coming. Feeling stressed. What should I expect?

My very first appointment ever to a urologist. What should i expect? Feeling a lil stressed out about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Re: Urologist?

Not sure what you are going for, but my urologist was awesome at explaining what was happening with the symptoms I was having. My appts have all started with a urine specimen check, then a talk with the doc to let me know what was going to happen, then tests. The first test which is fairly routine I believe involved them putting a camera in the bladder to look inside it, I was super nervous about it, but it wasn't bad at all. Good luck, I just had my hys and bladder sling surgery 1/28, so I'm a newbie.
Unread 02-09-2014, 12:10 PM

I carried a fibroid twice the size of my uterus for approx 10 years. The bigger it got the more it pushed on my bladder. I thought after my htsterectomy my bladder issues would be resolved but its just the opposite. I hope the urologist can help me feel better. Anyone else with urologist experiences to offer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2014, 01:40 PM

My most recent appointments have been with a urologist.

Referred to investigate blood in my urine. I had a post urination ultrasound scan to check I was emptying my bladder properly and a urinalysis to check what was in my urine. I also had a flexible cystoscopy to check my urethra and inside of my bladder - done painlessly, using anaesthetic gel and he spent a lot of time showing me around, using the monitor to explain everything. And I had a CT Scan which confirmed nothing abnormal with my urinary system but he did see an ovarian cyst (referred back to gynaecologist).

What I found most useful about the urology appointment was having the reassurance from an independent expert, that my TVT sling was well positioned and I had absolutely no signs of erosion.
Unread 02-10-2014, 06:17 AM

I as well had the contrast CT scan, which showed no abnormalities, I had the ultrasound as well. You may have a similar issue as I had. I had bladder issues for years, after having 4 kids, my hysterectomy was due to a detached uterus, which was sitting on my bladder, subsequently my bladder also had dropped. So when I got my hyst I also had a bladder sling done. I found the urologist appointments to be very informative as to how all of my issues were connected. Good luck!
Unread 03-09-2014, 01:02 PM

Going for my cystoscopy next tuesday. Very scared. Scared of what they will find and scared of being awake for it. Im so sensitive i know im gonna be a nervous wreck.
Unread 03-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Did you tell the urologist you were nervous about the cystoscopy ? If you do, he will probably be willing to prescribe something to help with your anxiety.

I have had several done and was very nervous the first time. The urologist prescribe some Valium which was very helpful. But you would need someone to drive you.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Unread 03-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Re: Urologist appointment coming. Feeling stressed. What should I expect?

When he told me about it i cried and told him it makes me nervous. So he then proceeded to tell me about it in detail. Why would a person need more than one cystoscopy???
Unread 03-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessarah View Post
When he told me about it i cried and told him it makes me nervous. So he then proceeded to tell me about it in detail. Why would a person need more than one cystoscopy???

My right ureter was injured during the hysterectomy. I had several cystoscopies under anesthesia to place ureteral stents in an attempt to get the ureter to heal without surgery. I did end up with getting the ureter surgically reimplanted.

So I had two in office cystoscopies to remove stents and another in office cystoscopy to check the bladder several weeks after the surgery when the catheter came out.

I understand how you feel, really. Going to see a urologist at all was my worst nightmare. But I did okay.

The initial urologist removed the first stent under anesthesia because I'm pretty sure I made him nervous. ( I was that freaked out). The second urologist - the one that did the surgery told me he wouldn't removed the second stent under general anesthesia because I'd already had so many general anesthesias (5 at that point in 4 months) and it wasn't necessary. I told him how freaked out I was. He said it wasn't that bad but was very willing to write me a prescription for valium to take that day. He said he does that all the time. Apparently it makes many folks feel nervous.

So you're not alone and I'm sure he's seen many patients who are nervous.
Unread 03-09-2014, 09:39 PM

Problem is that i dont see my urologist again until the procedure. Im really nervous and anxious and really want it to be over and done or for the day to no come at all. If anything was damaged during surgery they would have known and told me about it right???

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register