Scheduled TAH Small pillow for the ride home and coughing, etc | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Small pillow for the ride home and coughing, etc Small pillow for the ride home and coughing, etc

Unread 11-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Small pillow for the ride home and coughing, etc

Hello sisters, I need a pillow for the ride home. All I have are bed pillows no small throws. Anyone, try a boppy. I was thinking it might be good for the ride home, coughing exercises they make you do post op. And, I could prop books, laptop on it post op? What do you think? Will it work or is it a waste of money? I am very petite, so it will literally wrap nicely around waist. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2013, 10:22 AM
Re: Small pillow for the ride home and coughing, etc

Humm....I never really gave that much thought! I do wonder myself as I am petite. =] I bought a small memory foam pillow that is very comfy. For the car ride home I am bringing a bed pillow to place behind me for support for bumps in the road and such. I will be laying that seat back. That's for sure. I'm going in tomorrow. Good luck and sending you prayers and well wishes for a speedy recovery. xoxo
Unread 11-19-2013, 03:06 PM

Hmmm... I hadn't thought of a boppy. I bought a small neck pillow (the kind for planes and such) and a pet pillow (neon unicorn, of course) to use for recovery. I also already had a small lumbar pillow to use as well. I am petite, so I want to make sure that belt doesn't go anywhere it shouldn't. Good luck. I have my surgery on Thursday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2013, 03:14 PM

I had a small pillow that I was given when I had my breast biopsy last year. I used it at the hospital to support my stomach when I coughed. It worked great between my stomach and the seatbelt on the way home and it has been a life savor here at home. I use it to support my stomach when I move around, when coughing and to support my swelly belly when I'm laying on my side. I'm so glad I have one.
Unread 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM

I work in a hospital nursery and saw a mom who had a csection using it while she held her baby and I thought hmmm.....I wonder how that would work after my TAH. So, I thought I would post it here hoping those with c sections might weigh in. I went to the store after I posted this today. I have found 1 with a cover. It isn't very expensive at all. I took it out of the package and tried it. It wraps around my waist easily and is bendable. I think it work out nicely. I also have a body pillow for when I get home.
Good luck to you both mywaymytime and happily me. I will be thinking of you both, xoxo!!!
Unread 11-19-2013, 04:11 PM

Yes! I am not sure how it will work for a TAH, but I had a boppy pillow for both c-sections and it was a gut saver! Hubby and I were sitting and chatting in my hospital room and I burst out into a laughing fit! It was so painful, I literally felt like I was splitting my gut in laughter, not cool. I had the boppy sitting on my belly and so I pushed it against my gut and it really helped! I just needed that laugh at the time, and I was so glad that I had the boppy pillow. When I got home I used it when I'd sit up and when I'd go to bed. It seems a bit firmer than regular pillows, which helps to give some support.
Unread 11-19-2013, 07:52 PM

I took one of my favourite squishy pillows to hospital and used that on the way home.
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:56 PM

I used a regular bed pillow for the ride home. They also gave me a regular bed pillow to use in the hospital as I was there for three nights. Everyone has something that works best for them, but my opinion no need to spend extra money on a pillow. Standard bed pillow did the trick!
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:02 PM

I just used a folded fleece scarf. Later I used a fleece hat. They both provided enough cushion.
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:04 AM

I was just released yesterday and they gave me a device called a binder - it is about 10" tall and wraps snugly around your belly (I had a TAH) it adheres with Velcro. It helped out a lot and made my ride comfortable.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register